educator_71

How did (or are you ) dealing with the separation during the waiting process?

49 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Just wondering how do some of you veterans who've been through or currently going through the separation from your spouse or future spouse surviving? I've only been waiting less than 2 months and its very difficult. so i will not even try to put myself in your shoes because you guys know more than anyone else how it feels. I try to Skype with Jane every night, but the internet infrastructure is horrible in the Philippines. We also do facebook phone calls and chats. I will be returning in July to spend 2 weeks with her, but this will set me back financially. Just wondering how you deal with it. I know in the end, our waits will be worth it. Hope you long-termers get good news soon.

I know the time when i had to wait. It's not fun and you can't do really anything about it. For us it was a long 8 months before i got my visa. I visited her 1 during that time.

Just think the waiting time seems long but what its x months on a life time. After the waiting time is done and she's here you smile and think it was nothing.

We use skype everyday after work. It might sound silly, but we let the call go through the night and fall asleep together. We send pictures and always communicate by text messages. We've been together for 3 years now and still a strong couple.

What I also did is I borrowed one of his hoodie. (I am the woman and he was nice enough to leave one to me ^.^)

There is some little details that can help, but I think Skype, viber and all the applications that let you have a video conversations are a great thing.

One of you can also visit, but it can be a costly solution.

And just tell yourself yes the wait is long, but in the end it's worth it ;).

August 2011: Started talking to Brian
June 1st, 2012: Started dating (L)
July 29th 2012: Saw each other for the first time, met Family
August 2013: Got engaged
July 2014: Sent 1-129F petition
July 29th, 2014: Received NOA1.
February 5th, 2015: NOA2!
April 16th, 2015: Medical in Montréal
May 15th, 2015; Interview- APPROVED!
June 22nd, 2015: POE at Champlain Border

September 4th, 2015: Wedding! :dancing:

AOS/EAD/AP

February 20th, 2016: AOS/EAD/AP Package sent! (Received 2/25, yay for USPS delays!)

March 4th, 2016: NOA 1 for all 3 applications

March 11th, 2016: Hardcopies with all 3 receipt Numbers received

March 30th, 2016: Biometrics (as a code 2, Maybe have to go again?)

April 25th, 2016: Walk in for the SECOND Biometrics appoinment (Code 3 this time, Officer was not the happiest but told us to come back at noon and he'd let us in.)

May 16th, 2016: Submitted Service Request for I-765

June 8th, 2016: Called USCIS concerning delay, officer put another request in and said the previous one would like be ignored as it was created through their website.

June 21st, 2016: Contacted both NY Senators.

July 1st, 2016: RFIE for I-485.

July 8th, 2016; Sent Evidence Requested by USCIS. (Received July 13th)

July 15th, 2016; Emergency Advance Parole due to Family Emergency

July 27th, 2016; Contacted USCIS Ombudsman as my I-765 has been pending for 5 months.

July 30th,2016; EAD/AP have been approved!

Just wondering how do some of you veterans who've been through or currently going through the separation from your spouse or future spouse surviving? I've only been waiting less than 2 months and its very difficult. so i will not even try to put myself in your shoes because you guys know more than anyone else how it feels. I try to Skype with Jane every night, but the internet infrastructure is horrible in the Philippines. We also do facebook phone calls and chats. I will be returning in July to spend 2 weeks with her, but this will set me back financially. Just wondering how you deal with it. I know in the end, our waits will be worth it. Hope you long-termers get good news soon.

We've been at this thing a little bit longer than I think is the average for a lot of couples apart before we even began this main process. It's taken patience.. and just when you think you've reached the end of it, you have to summon up the courage to find more. Visits, emails, snail mail, phone calls, Skype.. you name it we've done it. One constant for us has always been our love of games and films. That has allowed us to spend a great deal of time together even though we're separated. Keeping mentally occupied passes the time, and it's fun to do something together.

Financially it's hard... and emotionally too. The main thing is always be supportive and honest with each other.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Two months isn't even enough time to get anxious about. Odds are you will not have a long wait as Philippines petitions tend to be expedited. You handle the waiting the same way as eating an elephant - one bite at a time. Buck up!!

I do agree the internet is iffy in the Phils, but nothing can be done about that either.

If flying over would put a strain on the budget then don't. Patience is the name of the game for this process.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Its best to handle your finances well. Assure your fiance that you will be on the journey together.

Me and my husband were in LDr for 3 years now. But it will soon end.

Its not easy but we survived. Goodluck.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread moved from K-1 Process forum to the General Immigration Discussion forum -- topic applies to multiple visa categories. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

It was a little more difficult because my internet in the Philippines + his internet at his barracks was horrible. What I did besides talking to him every chance we got was watching movies and shows that just makes the day go by faster. And also, spend a lot of time with your family & friends (specially for the beneficiary). It will be a while till you get to see them again. And I know that we get so caught up in the whole process that sometimes we forget that we are leaving our loved ones behind. Just enjoy your family, make more memories, and go about your life as if you didn't file a petition. I know you are tempted to check the USCIS website every hour, DON'T DO IT! Also, don't base your approvals on how quick others get theirs. You'll just drive yourself insane. Also, while waiting, try to look up on interview requirements and start gathering the ones you can. Once the approval comes, everything happens warp speed.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

mike (american and i (british) met whilst living in Shanghai. Mike has left shanghai last week and is back in america, and i will be visiting him in just over a weeks time for a month before i go back to the uk.

even though we have been seperated for a week or so, it's the most horrible thing in the world. i could maybe be ok with it if i knew a date or an estimate, but nothing!

ugh!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Keep busy. I'm focusing work,working out & staying spiritually grounded. We talk 3 times a day at least. We video chat. We have devotion almost every night on the phone. The process has been moving quick for us. I filed the petition in February & his interview is May 29. I feel we are very blessed. Keep your head up.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Serbia
Timeline

Focusing on work and getting the process and paperwork in order. I tend to stay busy a lot.

We talk at least there times a day, mostly over Facebook call

Weekends are ours, and we trend to keep the phone open sometimes up to 12 hrs a day

We do photo stories as well, i would go to the Beach, document with pic,... My hubby would go for a hike, do the same ...and then we would share the pics ( not necessarily at the same time) and we would describe to the smallest details sometimes about the day.

We are not physically together, but are together every single moment and we share that with each other constantly

Until one day we will finally be together together.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My fiance has been visiting with me for the last six months and just went home (Canada) today. It's only been 5 hours and I already want to die.

Vette, this is my case, too (except I am the Canadian spouse). I've been home since April 4, and while I value that I got to spend 6 months with my hubs, it's so hard thinking that we managed to have a life together at that time and now we're apart again. We're coming up on case complete at the NVC, and if your case hasn't been sent there already, trust me when I say that things move fast at this stage. When I went home our I-130 had just been approved, and since then things have been flying by for us. Even with unforeseen complications about our case (our IV fee wouldn't invoice, finally got it unlocked this morning 13 days after the DS261 was reviewed) things are looking up.

Hugs to you. We'll get through this together.

September 29, 2012 - First met through a writing forum
January 5, 2014 - Engaged!
June 27, 2014 - Married!

USCIS:
September 23, 2014 - Sent off I-130 package
September 29, 2014 - Priority Date
September 30, 2014 - NOA1
March 26, 2015 - NOA2
April 2, 2015 - Case shipped to NVC

NVC:
April 13, 2015 - Case Number/IIN received
April 15, 2015 - DS-261 submitted
April 15, 2015 - AOS fee paid
April 21, 2015 - AOS package submitted
April 21, 2015 - IV package submitted
April 21, 2015 - Scan date

April 30, 2015 - DS-261 reviewed over the phone

May 12, 2015 - IV fee paid (late due to "EP lock")
May 13, 2015 - DS-260 submitted

May 27, 2015 - AOS/IV packages still not reviewed, flagged for supervisor review

July 10, 2015 - Supervisor review does nothing, flagged for unit manager review
August 11, 2015 - Case Complete!

Interview:

October 6, 2015 - Medical

October 13, 2015 - Interview date (AP - need to submit copy of 2014 W2)
October 21, 2015 - Visa status changed to "READY" and then a few hours later "ISSUED"

October 28, 2015 - Passport received (was available for pickup Oct. 27)
October 28, 2015 - POE fee paid
October 30, 2015 - POE!

After POE:
November 9, 2015 - Received SSN (checked off option to apply on forms)
December 1, 2015 - Received Green Card

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.