Mr. Big Dog

16,617 - the number of gun violence incidents just this year

30 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Since we get to read about the occasional hero that saves the day with a gun, I thought it would be worthwhile to remind ourselves just how much damage is done each and every day with guns in this country. Death and destruction is everywhere. That tree of liberty is mighty thirsty, y'all.

2015 toll to date:

• Total Number of Incidents: 16,617
  • Number of Deaths1: 4,344
  • Number of Injuries1: 8,082
  • Number of Children (age 0-11) Killed/Injured1: 221
  • Number of Teens (age 12-17) Killed/Injured1: 798
  • Mass Shooting2: 86

incidents-to-date.png?itok=Zt2U3oYj

Based upon a prorated amount for May 10th, there are already less deaths this year compared to last year.

http://www.gunviolencearchive.org/tolls/2014

(4.33/12) 12,523

Based on 2014 daily average of 34.31, we would be at 4,460 deaths now as opposed to the 4,344 that we actually logged so far this year. Oddly enough, I don't quite feel like breaking out the champagne.

By the way I noticed you left these stats off:

• Officer Involved Shooting2: 1,520
  • Defensive Use2: 433

The defensive use is an interesting figure as it counters the gun aficionado argument. Guns are used defensively in less than 3 out of 100 incidents. Thus, guns are almost exclusively (at 97.5%) used offensively.

Based upon a prorated amount for May 10th, there are already less deaths this year compared to last year.

http://www.gunviolencearchive.org/tolls/2014

(4.33/12) 12,523

Yaaa!!! Less deaths even though we are still in the thousands! :rolleyes:

That is still a lot. I don't think we can celebrate yet.

Why not? 12,000/318,000,000 is .00003 of the population. When you remove suicides and defensive use (including police) that number would drop by at least 1/3

You're kidding, right? That kind of a death toll cannot remotely be acceptable let alone be considered a reason to celebrate.

BTW, that number does not include suicides.

Edited by Mr. Big Dog

Look at the methodology. Besides, total firearm deaths are over 33,600 according to the CDC.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/injury.htm

I'm saying your op isn't clear and is probably including them given they state suicide as a possible occurrence. I go to their methodology and I see no reference to the CDC. They do mention suicides may be included however.

Edited by Sousuke

1d35bdb6477b38fedf8f1ad2b4c743ea.jpg