dead-ced-dead

Visiting girlfriend for 3 month. How to answer the immigration officer's questions.

46 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I think I will, too, the more replies I get.

Guys, as much as I appreciate it, I'll take my chance telling them I'm staying for 80+ days rather than doing the two week scheme. I'm sure it's easy, but I'll take my chances telling the whole truth.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Always tell the truth. Why lie and put yourself and your VWP at risk? You also need a lot more than $700 for that long of a stay, that isn't enough for a month let alone 3 months. It calculates to $7 a day

Can you not book a ticket for just 2 weeks and then extend the return flight?

why lie? Lying has far reaching consequences when caught

A lot of the big airports have installed automated kiosks for USCs and VWP travelers. Not sure if you're flying into LAX or one of the others in S. Cal., but this may mean that you don't even have to speak to an immigration officer. The paper that kiosk prints out shows your pic and details and only if the machine prints an X on it, do you then get pushed back into queue to see an officer. I go through as a USC, but my husband has used it 3 or 4 times in the last year when he visited and always went through with no further questioning.

http://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/automated-passport-control-apc

Mar 2014 - Married

5/7/14?? - Attorney mailed paperwork

5/15/14 DHS cashed check

5/19/14 - NOA1 received with PD 5/12/14

10/17/14 - NOA2 received

10/28/14 - Email received that file has been sent to NVC

11/13/14 - NVC received file

12/10/14 - NVC Assigned case number

12/12/14 - AOS Fee Invoiced

12/13/14 - Submit email to NVC to remove attorney as DS-261 Agent

12/16/14 - AOS Fee showing as Paid

12/17/14 - IV Fee invoiced

12/20/14 - IV fee available and paid

12/27/14 - DS-260 submitted

1/2/15 - AOS and IV packages sent to NVC

1/5/15 - USPS delivered packages to NVC

1/7/15 - NVC scanned in packages. Let the countdown begin...

1/30/15 - FINALLY got a reply to my email to remove the attorney from the DS-261

3/9/15 - Called NVC and they have checklisted us for an "incorrect" decree absolute from the UK, even though it is the legal official document. Have requested a supervisor review.

4/28/15 - Called and NVC said supervisor had reviewed and now claimed that the decree absolute was not included. After disagreeing with the less than helpful lady on the phone, and her not being able to get the review time right. (She kept changing her story between 42 days and 30 days).

4/30/15 - Sent the same copy of the decree absolute to the NVC from the UK, highlighting the "decree absolute" wording with a letter stating that this is the only document provided by the UK government.

5/6/15 - Scan date for checklist received.

6/5/15 - Case complete!!!

6/12/15 - Called and interview is scheduled for July 1!

6/14/15 - Received email with interview date and instructions.

6/19/15 - Case showing as ready on CEAC.

7/1/15 - Approved at interview!!!

7/6/15 - CEAC changed to Administrative Processing

7/7/15 - CEAC changed to Issued!!!!!

7/10/15 - Passport and packet delivered!

7/29/15 - Husband entered with visa at Dallas/Fort Worth airport

9/29/15 - GC delivered!!!

5/4/17 - ROC packet sent via USPS

5/9/17 - Tracking shows delivered

5/17/17 - Check cashed

5/19/17 - NOA1 received with date of 5/8/17

5/27/17 - Biometrics appt received 6/8/17

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I think I will, too, the more replies I get.

Guys, as much as I appreciate it, I'll take my chance telling them I'm staying for 80+ days rather than doing the two week scheme. I'm sure it's easy, but I'll take my chances telling the whole truth.

My fiancé from the UK visited me for 85 days over the holiday (from November until January). I would do 85 days because flights can get delayed, etc. and you don't want to risk overstaying. He had a letter from his employer, his bank statement (I think he only had 300 pound in it at the time), a letter from ME (that does not hurt if she does that- it shows you are both aware of the process & do not intend to risk your visa petition), document for his travel insurance for his entire stay, and our NOA 1 approval letter. He had also been in the U.S. from May to August that same year. He was asked questions in Detroit which was his POE- but he answered honestly. I wrote up his whole experience including questions he was asked in that thread that was mentioned. But as much stress and worry as I put into that- everything ended up fine and I was able to spend the holidays with him which was so nice especially as we are at the 8 month mark of this process and he's still not here yet. So I'm very happy we made that decision. Best of luck :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

My fiancé from the UK visited me for 85 days over the holiday (from November until January). I would do 85 days because flights can get delayed, etc. and you don't want to risk overstaying. He had a letter from his employer, his bank statement (I think he only had 300 pound in it at the time), a letter from ME (that does not hurt if she does that- it shows you are both aware of the process & do not intend to risk your visa petition), document for his travel insurance for his entire stay, and our NOA 1 approval letter. He had also been in the U.S. from May to August that same year. He was asked questions in Detroit which was his POE- but he answered honestly. I wrote up his whole experience including questions he was asked in that thread that was mentioned. But as much stress and worry as I put into that- everything ended up fine and I was able to spend the holidays with him which was so nice especially as we are at the 8 month mark of this process and he's still not here yet. So I'm very happy we made that decision. Best of luck :)

Don't think the OP is doing K1. I think they are not quite there yet as the OP referred to her as "girlfriend" and does not have a timeline indicating a visa process.

Don't think the OP is doing K1. I think they are not quite there yet as the OP referred to her as "girlfriend" and does not have a timeline indicating a visa process.

You're right, she's still just my girlfriend at the moment.

However, these posts are putting me more and more at ease. I won't have an NOA 1, obviously, but I'll just have to remain calm and honest. My friend's boyfriend only had one problem once when entering Canada, and she's fairly sure that's because with a long beard and olive skin, the agent thought he was up to no good. lol.

I'm going to take the risk

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

That's a very bad idea. How would he explain to CBP that he intends to stay almost two months with a return ticket for two weeks in? It would make it look very suspicious. Lying to CBP is really never a good idea.

Can you not book a ticket for just 2 weeks and then extend the return flight?

Edited by JohnR!

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

That is actually lying, no matter how you shake it.

Actually you are the one who failed to understand.

By advising to book a 2 week flight, that means telling them at POE he wants to stay for 2 weeks, and then changing the flight after he gets the standard 90 day stamp.

Telling them 80 days instead of 2 weeks...thats so stupid I dont know why you would even think thats what he meant.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

On the subject of money. My gf will be supporting me while I'm there, and while I can certainly raise more than $700 (I copied this post from a Reddit thread before i got my monthly hours), at most I think I can raise between $2000-$2500. But the truth is, I wouldn't need to pay for accommodation, and for the most part meals out and such will be a lot rarer than eating a frozen pizza in front of the TV.

Is there any way, other than my word I can bring this across? I mean, other than a letter, which as has been said is a no-no and looks like a red flag to want to stay.

Edited by dead-ced-dead

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

To you guys who says it is lying to arrive on a two week ticket, say you're there for two weeks and then change your ticket: they do not care. Only thing that matters on a VWP is that you're out of the country before the date they put in your passport which will be 3 months from your arrival date.

Last time I visited I was only supposed to be there for 4 weeks. NOA2 arrived and I knew it would be a bit longer and my fiance wanted me to stay. I extended by two weeks no issues.

They might comment on your lack of funds since she is "only" your girlfriend. When I have said I'm visiting my fiance they haven't even asked about my money.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Nope, grasping at straws.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Stop worrying :) (I know I know I know!) But seriously. And again just to say, the only time they asked him about me being his girlfriend was his very first time here. Any other times they worried more about what food he was bringing rather than who I was. I don't know if they keep a database or anything about who you go to see but they never seemed concerned. A few times they would advise not to get married on the VWP, and especially so when he started calling me his fiancé. And again the money thing wasn't a huge deal either. You aren't staying at a hotel, and if they ask you where you'll be staying I think it's logical that the traveler would not need vast sums of cash.

Personally I would say it's never good to lie to an IO. Saying you will only stay for two weeks and then you actually intend to stay longer is different than having some circumstances change that require you stay longer. I'm sure people do it, even innocently enough, and it's a technically allowed thing. But it just feels dishonest to me to not tell the truth, and if you're nervous from the get-go that will make it worse. Keep in mind we have always been firm believers in travel insurance as additional evidence (they seemed to like that for some reason), which usually is for the duration of your stay. If you feel more secure with a letter from your girlfriend I don't see how it would hurt. You seem to be bringing more cash than my guy ever had on his person and an employer letter.

It would be disingenuous to say that being refused doesn't happen. I'm sure it does to many an unlucky person, but chances are it won't. In fact, I'm willing to bet you'd have a lot easier time of it, than if your girlfriend came to visit you. For reference, I only had about £250 on hand + bank account on one of the trips I made to the UK using about 70 days, and staying at his house. I survived with plenty of gifts to haul back and we made lots of trips with money spare. Likewise, he never brings a ton of cash on hand, a few hundred at most and relies on his bank account if there is need for more.

Certainly if you were staying at a hotel or resort for that amount of time with a rental car, trips, and eating out every night then yes you're going to have a problem with money. But if you're hanging at home with your gal, none of this is needed.

I think the suggestion of giving yourself some leeway with the amount of time you stay is wise though. You never know if you should need to delay a flight due to illness or bad weather. Who knows. You absolutely don't want to risk an overstay.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

You're right. I'm such a worrier (about everything). Every cold I get is the flu, every time my computer freezes for a second I worry about the cost of getting it repaired (and so on and so forth).

Thank you, you've been very kind and your experience makes me panic less. I'm going to try and worry less.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.