Jump to content

Already issued a ss#

7 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Never, seriously, NEVER apply for a new ss number if you ever had one!

You will be able to retrieve the old number (if you don't know it anymore) at the SSA in the US or at an American embassy (American Citizen Services) in other countries - I did the latter.

With the number you will be able to get a new card.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

SSN is for life. That number is still his. He can update his US legal status with the SSA, but no need to file for a new number.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > http://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ%20-%20Ciudad%20Juarez.pdf

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Also on the ss card it said work authorization only....what does that mean?

It means he will have to show his GC or EAD in order to work as those are the DHS authorization documents. Once he recieves his GC, he can go to the local SSA office to get that restrticition removed and then he can use his SSC and DL to prove work eligibility.


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.