smoothsage

No city of birth available for G-325A or i-130...

4 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

Hi,

I have been searching through the forums the past couple of days, but couldn't find an answer.

My Jordanian-citizen wife and I were both born in Kuwait (I am the USC). On my wife's Jordanian birth certificate, place of birth only states "Kuwait" without a city, while on her Kuwaiti one it says the name of an a neighborhood within Kuwait City (Hawalli), but doesn't mention Kuwait City anywhere else.

I no longer have my original Kuwaiti birth certificate, but I do have the original translation that was made of it and my CRBA, as well, in addition to my Jordanian birth certificate and US passport. Each one of these documents states a different thing! My CRBA says "Kuwait, State of Kuwait", the translated Kuwaiti certificate is similar to my wife's mentioning an area within Kuwait City only (Jahra), and my Jordanian birth certificate and US passport just state "Kuwait".

I'm not sure what I should put on our forms: for me, it seems I should write Kuwait, Kuwait (not Kuwait city), as written in my CRBA, while for my wife in not sure if I should just out Kuwait, or Kuwait/Kuwait City, Kuwait or Hawalli, Kuwait...

We also have a similar situation where my father's place of birth is requires. My father was born in Palestine (post 1948), so the US government has only put " Jordan" as his birth place on his papers, though his original Arabic birth certificate lists the city he was born in. Is it OK for me to just put "Jordan" when it requests the "city and country"? Should I attach a note here?

Thank you for your help...

Timeline

Same issue with my husbands mom . My husband is Jordanian and his mom was born in Gaza it just says Gaza on her birth certificate so where it asked city we put that then put n/a for the country . So if your unsure about the city just put n/a I got through with an approval with no issues or rfe I'm now about to finish up at the nvc stage .

Timeline

Thanks Morgan!

I'm glad yo hear that it has worked fine for you so far. From what I have read so far, it doesn't seem like they are overly strict on these things for the G-325A. Despite that, I would still personally hesitate to put "N/A"for my case, since it is applicable for both Jordan and Kuwait. In fact, it seems my case is the opposite of yours, since Gaza is a city/territory without a legitimate country and mine are countries missing the name of the cities...

Any other advice for a similar case? I'm sure there are other people around born in Kuwait and/or poat-'48 Palestine...

So you're unsure where you were born regardless of what a birth certificate says? You were born somewhere even if the information on your birth certificate is incomplete.

If you were born somewhere in particular, put that down. As long as your birth certificate, passport, CRBA, etc... says the country, that may be all it says. You wouldn't put n/a (not applicable) because it IS applicable. You would not put none because you were born somewhere. If the area is within a city, then state the city as asked.

Beyond that you, the petitioner, would not need to submit a non-US birth certificate, ever during this process. You can use your CRBA or the entire pages of your passport to prove citizenship.

As for your father's birth certificate, as it will NEVER be asked for during this process, I suggest you put what his Arabic birth certificate says which is likely the most complete and correct one.

Also if need be see if you can get a new birth certificate and perhaps that one will be more complete or you can add the missing information after the fact.

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/fees/reciprocity-by-country/KU.html#birthcertificates-0

Edited by NLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.