We Keep Receipts

Freedom to Discriminate? Michigan Business Under Fire for Anti-Gay Ad

43 posts in this topic

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/brian-stone/freedom-to-discriminate-m_b_7244212.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

Most people believe in freedom of speech. Most people also believe that a business shouldn't have the right to discriminate against customers for their religious and political beliefs. But what if you were faced with a situation where you had to choose?

Right now in Dearborn, Mich. a local business owner is facing this very question. A group called "Restrain The Judges" placed a number of advertisements claiming "Homosexuality is a behavior, not a civil right."

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

A person has the right to say what they like, but that does not protect them from the consequences of those actions.

Technically, I have the RIGHT to scream "FIRE!" in the middle of Age of Ultron, when I go see it. I have the RIGHT to do that. But there are consequences for causing mass panic or inciting a riot and if I scream fire in a crowded movie theatre, I can expect to be charged for THOSE things.

Likewise, yes, a person has the RIGHT to post an ad such as this. Just like the 40 foot tall billboard I saw, while driving through Alabama last summer that said 'ANTI-RACIST IS A CODEWORD FOR ANTI-WHITE!' Someone had the RIGHT to post that. I also had the RIGHT to look at my wife and go 'Holy pooslinging vampire bats, batman. We are NOT stopping in this state for ANYTHING!' and to take my money to another whole state. If people post an ad such as this, they can expect some people to back them up en masse and others to be angry and call for a boycott.

That's the joy of free speech, it invites debate and others' opinions.

Met in 2010 on a forum for a mutual interest. Became friends.
2011: Realized we needed to evaluate our status as friends when we realized we were talking about raising children together.

2011/2012: Decided we were a couple sometime in, but no possibility of being together due to being same sex couple.

June 26, 2013: DOMA overturned. American married couples ALL have the same federal rights at last! We can be a family!

June-September, 2013: Discussion about being together begins.

November 13, 2013: Meet in person to see if this could work. It's perfect. We plan to elope to Boston, MA.

March 13, 2014 Married!

May 9, 2014: Petition mailed to USCIS

May 12, 2014: NOA1.
October 27, 2014: NOA2. (5 months, 2 weeks, 1 day after NOA1)
October 31, 2014: USCIS ships file to NVC (five days after NOA2) Happy Halloween for us!

November 18, 2014: NVC receives our case (22 days after NOA2)

December 17, 2014: NVC generates case number (50 days after NOA2)

December 19, 2014: Receive AOS bill, DS-261. Submit DS-261 (52 days after NOA2)

December 20, 2014: Pay AOS Fee

January 7, 2015: Receive, pay IV Fee

January 10, 2015: Complete DS-260

January 11, 2015: Send AOS package and Civil Documents
March 23, 2015: Case Complete at NVC. (70 days from when they received docs to CC)

May 6, 2015: Interview at Montréal APPROVED!

May 11, 2015: Visa in hand! One year less one day from NOA1.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

"Homosexuality is a behavior, not a civil right."

This is correct. It a lifestyle that a person chooses and I am surprised to see it being treated like a civil right.

I post a few weeks ago when a lifestyle becomes a right then we have issues. Some people like to watch when are they going to have civil rights?

I think it my civil rights to be able to have more than one wife, and this is law in many countries that allow a Man to take multiply wives.

If you are going to start bending the law to allow gay marriage then you need to open the law to all type of marriages........

Timeline

This is correct. It a lifestyle that a person chooses and I am surprised to see it being treated like a civil right.

I post a few weeks ago when a lifestyle becomes a right then we have issues. Some people like to watch when are they going to have civil rights?

I think it my civil rights to be able to have more than one wife, and this is law in many countries that allow a Man to take multiply wives.

If you are going to start bending the law to allow gay marriage then you need to open the law to all type of marriages........

I didn't choose to fall in love with my wife. I didn't. In fact, I was very much not looking for a partner at the time.

You can choose, yes, to walk away from someone you're in love with, but you can't choose who you fall for. I mean, when did you choose to be straight?

2011: Realized we needed to evaluate our status as friends when we realized we were talking about raising children together.

2011/2012: Decided we were a couple sometime in, but no possibility of being together due to being same sex couple.

June 26, 2013: DOMA overturned. American married couples ALL have the same federal rights at last! We can be a family!

November 13, 2013: Meet in person to see if this could work. It's perfect. We plan to elope to Boston, MA.

March 13, 2014 Married!

October 31, 2014: USCIS ships file to NVC (five days after NOA2) Happy Halloween for us!

March 23, 2015: Case Complete at NVC. (70 days from when they received docs to CC)

Timeline

I mean, when did you choose to be straight?

Thank you for proving my point.

I have meet numerous females that claim they are now lesbian because "They were hurt my a Man".

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Illogical rubbish. There is no connection between homosexual marriage and plural marriage. The only reason it gets brought up by the right wing anti gay crowd is to muddy the waters and obsfucate the issues with irrelevances.

Stop peddling this nonsense.

Timeline

I have meet numerous females that claim they are now lesbian because "They were hurt my a Man".

Another irrelevance. It is not choice, it is not genetic either.

Whatever the reason for people being gay it has no bearing whatsoever on whether it is ok to be gay or whether people in gay relationships should have equal projections under the law.

Timeline

No, I didn't, unless you had to choose to be straight, which would mean you were born gay or bisexual.

So when did you choose to be straight? Don't dodge the question, give us the gory details. When was that big gay crush that made you go 'it's going to be hard, but I have to CHOOSE to be straight?'

March 13, 2014 Married!

Timeline

Another irrelevance. It is not choice, it is not genetic either.

I believe it is a choice, Read this actress Anne Heisch who at one time was dating that Elen Chick, now she is married. She stated she decided to close that part of her life, I would say that is a choice.

http://www.celebitchy.com/10740/anne_heche_says_she_changed_her_mind_about_being_gay_compared_it_to_opening_doors/

Timeline

No, I didn't, unless you had to choose to be straight, which would mean you were born gay or bisexual.

So when did you choose to be straight? Don't dodge the question, give us the gory details. When was that big gay crush that made you go 'it's going to be hard, but I have to CHOOSE to be straight?'

Does it hurt cuz I destroyed your point with facts........

VOL 1

Not a Tailor 0

Timeline

I believe it is a choice, Read this actress Anne Heisch who at one time was dating that Elen Chick, now she is married. She stated she decided to close that part of her life, I would say that is a choice.

http://www.celebitchy.com/10740/anne_heche_says_she_changed_her_mind_about_being_gay_compared_it_to_opening_doors/

There's this thing called bisexuality, first off. It means you like both. Some people are bisexual.

Also, some people THINK they are into a certain person and realize they're not later on. So a person who is straight or mostly straight might have a crush outside of their actual area of attraction and then later on go 'you know what, actually, that gay thing's not for me.'

If you want anecdotal evidence to back up people's sides? Take my grandmother, for example. When my mother was in her late teens, my grandmother had this amazingly close best friend who she, yes, loved. They bought a house together. My grandmother's friend was a lesbian and my grandmother loved her. My grandmother lived with her for almost ten years. Recently, my grandmother told me that she had loved Annie enough that she had actually tried to 'go lesbian' for her. She had wanted to be what Annie needed her to be, to make that kind of relationship work. She'd loved Annie deeply. But when it came down to the bedroom, my grandmother just wasn't that way. She tried HARD to be gay, but she couldn't.

Thus, being gay is not a choice.

Why won't you tell us about when YOU chose not to be gay? Why is it so hard to tell us when you chose to be straight, if gay or straight is a choice? Your dodging of the question takes away any points you might have 'won'.

March 13, 2014 Married!

Timeline

Your belief is wrong. As the other poster said when did you make a conscious choice to be straight?

Timeline

Does it hurt cuz I destroyed your point with facts........

VOL 1

Not a Tailor 0

You haven't presented any facts yet that can't be overturned with simple anecdota. You've just dodged questions or straight out ignored them.

When did you choose to be straight?

March 13, 2014 Married!

I'll never understand why some people are just determined to hurt others because they don't fit into their view of the world...

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg