elmcitymaven

Walmart Closures Have Conspiracy Theorists Going Nuts

42 posts in this topic

Walmart is finding out it can't simply close five stores nationwide for six months out of the blue and not expect the conspiracy theories to roll in.

But sure enough, when the superstore giant shuttered two stores in Texas—along with locations in California, Florida and Oklahoma—talks of the outlets being appropriated as government military training bases exploded across the web. We expect nothing less of you, Internet.

The most pervasive theory in Texas seems to be that the store closures are part of the government’s plan to enact martial law this summer under the front of military training operation Jade Helm. After a document leaked from the military training operation, theorists have been connecting their own dots between so-called hostile regions and the areas in which stores have closed (not accounting for the fact that neither Florida nor Oklahoma are considered hostile for the purposes of the operation).

This hysteria is in line with a larger Internet-driven fear of the operation, a paranoia so palpable that Governor Greg Abbott felt the need to announce yesterday that he is going to have the Texas State Guard monitor the operation to ensure that Texas citizens’ “safety, constitutional rights, private property rights and civil liberties will not be infringed.”

To be completely fair to the whims of the wild imaginations of alt-news publications from every nook and cranny of the web, Walmart’s reason for closing the stores does not seem to make any sense. Here’s the statement they gave to KHOU regarding the closing in Livingston:

“As part of an effort to ensure all of our stores are fully serving the needs of our customers we regularly assess the conditions of our stores. Due to ongoing plumbing issues that will require extensive repairs we are temporarily closing the Livingston store. We will immediately begin the process to address these issues and intend to reopen the store as soon as all of the plumbing issues are resolved. Deciding to close a store is not a decision we make lightly, but after careful consideration, we felt it was necessary to make these repairs so we can better serve our customers and the community in the long run.”

Plumbing issues? In five isolated stores across the country? Doing their reporting homework, local news networks asked their respective cities if any permits had been sought, the kind you would need to do the kind of plumbing overhaul that would take six months. Nothing. However, the plumbing explanation at this point seems to be the most plausible.

Theories surrounding the store closure in California have people believing it’s the corporation’s retaliation against employees who have previously protested workers’ conditions. This location has been a hotbed for political activism in the past; the Midland location, not so much. But the Pico Rivera workers in California are convinced the closings are retaliatory, and have filed claim with the National Labor Relations Board.

Stories have been running so wild that Snopes, reputed Internet rumor debunker, has compiled an exhaustive list of circulating explanations. Walmart also responded to the Jade Helm theory, telling Business Insider: “There’s no truth to the rumors.” But the corporation has yet to explain why these particular random locations need plumbing repairs, and why it’s going to take six months. So while the government probably isn’t conspiring to use the store buildings as human processing facilities this summer during a state of martial law, we have yet to hear the whole story on what exactly Walmart is up to.

http://www.texasmonthly.com/daily-post/wal-mart-closures-have-conspiracy-theorists-going-nuts

Here's another video on the topic:

val, this one is for you. :luv:

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

I've kept tabs on this story. They laid of thousands of workers without any real explanation. Makes you wonder what's really going on...

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

You don't need to wonder... I think it's pretty clear...

i6fuwn.jpg

I've kept tabs on this story. They laid of thousands of workers without any real explanation. Makes you wonder what's really going on...

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

val, this one is for you. :luv:

the past week with this has been like christmas! :)

eta, i'm putting my money with this one: http://www.shtfplan.com/headline-news/video-walmart-plumbing-issue-related-to-dhs-underground-tunnel-network-this-is-a-very-real-situation_04172015

Edited by val erie

These conspiracy nuts always leave me shaking my head. Isn't life already confusing enough without throwing conspiracies into the mix? Try focusing some of that energy into something real, like where Elvis and Jim Morrison are living these days. People wanna know dammit!

conspiracy nuts are my favorite nuts :)

As a former Army officer , putting a secret base inside a building in the middle of a populated area is genius

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

As a former Army officer , putting a secret base inside a building in the middle of a populated area is genius

As the child of a military intelligence officer who had to go with her father to work in the dead of night once due to a serious intelligence crisis, that's why they already do.

Met in 2010 on a forum for a mutual interest. Became friends.
2011: Realized we needed to evaluate our status as friends when we realized we were talking about raising children together.

2011/2012: Decided we were a couple sometime in, but no possibility of being together due to being same sex couple.

June 26, 2013: DOMA overturned. American married couples ALL have the same federal rights at last! We can be a family!

June-September, 2013: Discussion about being together begins.

November 13, 2013: Meet in person to see if this could work. It's perfect. We plan to elope to Boston, MA.

March 13, 2014 Married!

May 9, 2014: Petition mailed to USCIS

May 12, 2014: NOA1.
October 27, 2014: NOA2. (5 months, 2 weeks, 1 day after NOA1)
October 31, 2014: USCIS ships file to NVC (five days after NOA2) Happy Halloween for us!

November 18, 2014: NVC receives our case (22 days after NOA2)

December 17, 2014: NVC generates case number (50 days after NOA2)

December 19, 2014: Receive AOS bill, DS-261. Submit DS-261 (52 days after NOA2)

December 20, 2014: Pay AOS Fee

January 7, 2015: Receive, pay IV Fee

January 10, 2015: Complete DS-260

January 11, 2015: Send AOS package and Civil Documents
March 23, 2015: Case Complete at NVC. (70 days from when they received docs to CC)

May 6, 2015: Interview at Montréal APPROVED!

May 11, 2015: Visa in hand! One year less one day from NOA1.

Filed: Timeline

What do you mean no real explanation? Plumbing problems. In five locations across multiple states on the very same day. Plausible, isn't it?

The store that closed here - just 4 miles from my house - has seen all kinds of activity since. Just not a single plumbing service to solve the alleged plumbing issues.

All adds up, don't it?

What do you mean no real explanation? Plumbing problems. In five locations across multiple states on the very same day. Plausible, isn't it?

The store that closed here - just 4 miles from my house - has seen all kinds of activity since. Just not a single plumbing service to solve the alleged plumbing issues.

All adds up, don't it?

im-not-saying-its-aliens-but-its-aliens-

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

All adds up, don't it?

im-not-saying-its-aliens-but-its-aliens-

Exactly. You have to admit, though, that closing five stores across several states on the same day for the alleged same issue is a bit odd. And nothing being done about said issue at the local store here - it's all I know from local reporting - adds to the oddity of it all. Something isn't right with this. I know a couple people who lost their jobs locally. They had no notice. Yes, they get paid their average wage for 8 weeks but only because state law requires it. Otherwise, they'd be completely fcuked.

Edited by Mr. Big Dog

All adds up, don't it?

NO PLUMBING PERMITS TO BE FOUND MR BIG DOG.

walmart has long been the third arm of satan.

(F)

four miles from your house!! have you been fitted for your fema cage yet?

NO PLUMBING PERMITS TO BE FOUND MR BIG DOG.

walmart has long been the third arm of satan.

(F)

four miles from your house!! have you been fitted for your fema cage yet?

Not yet but I've noticed that helicopter traffic increased over the past several weeks.