We Keep Receipts

Driver Who Tweeted '2 Drunk 2 Care' Sentenced To 24 Years For Killing 2 In Wrong-Way Car Crash

31 posts in this topic

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/05/05/kayla-mendoza-2-drunk-2-care_n_7212462.html

A Florida woman who tweeted that she was "2 drunk 2 care" before killing a pair of best friends in a fatal, wrong-way crash in 2013 was sentenced Monday to more than two decades in prison.

Kayla Mendoza, 22, pleaded guilty to two counts of DUI manslaughter in February. At her sentencing Monday, Mendoza read a tearful apology to the families of her victims, telling them that her "guilt is overwhelming" and that she wished she could "trade spaces" with the women she killed.

"This all may be my fault, but at the end of the day, I'm a human being just like everyone else," Mendoza said. "I have a heart, and it aches everyday. ... My life has changed and I will never be the person I was before."

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

A preventable tragedy. So sad for all involved.

It's the universe's twist sense of irony. The drunk driver usually lives while someone else pays the ultimate price....

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Filed: Timeline

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/05/05/kayla-mendoza-2-drunk-2-care_n_7212462.html

A Florida woman who tweeted that she was "2 drunk 2 care" before killing a pair of best friends in a fatal, wrong-way crash in 2013 was sentenced Monday to more than two decades in prison.

Kayla Mendoza, 22, pleaded guilty to two counts of DUI manslaughter in February. At her sentencing Monday, Mendoza read a tearful apology to the families of her victims, telling them that her "guilt is overwhelming" and that she wished she could "trade spaces" with the women she killed.

"This all may be my fault, but at the end of the day, I'm a human being just like everyone else," Mendoza said. "I have a heart, and it aches everyday. ... My life has changed and I will never be the person I was before."

We had a crazy stretch of fatal wrong way accidents coming out of Ybor City heading up the southbound lanes of I-275. The common denominator in all these crashes - drunk drivers. No wonder it originated where it did. If you wanna live, you just gotta stay clear of the roads around Tampa at night. And apparently, other FL cities too.

Edited by Mr. Big Dog

We had a crazy stretch of fatal wrong way accidents coming out of Ybor City heading up the southbound lanes of I-275. The common denominator in all these crashes - drunk drivers. No wonder it originated where it did. If you wanna live, you just gotta stay clear of the roads around Tampa at night. And apparently, other FL cities too.

In Sicily, there was the second most dangerous highway in Europe. I need to look it up. When I was there, our commander said we will all either have an accident or get our cars broken into within our first 6 months on the island. I had both at month 4. But drinking wasn't the culprit. They just drive different over there...

And she has to live with killing two of her best friends. Everyone loses in cases like this.

Yeah, but she gets to live. Not advocating her death, just lamenting her bad decisions killed her friends. I wouldn't want anyone to die for my ** up...

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

In Sicily, there was the second most dangerous highway in Europe. I need to look it up. When I was there, our commander said we will all either have an accident or get our cars broken into within our first 6 months on the island. I had both at month 4. But drinking wasn't the culprit. They just drive different over there...

Yeah, but she gets to live. Not advocating her death, just lamenting her bad decisions killed her friends. I wouldn't want anyone to die for my ** up...

And her life will never be the same. Not one day will go by without her thinking about it. That's hell too.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

And her life will never be the same. Not one day will go by without her thinking about it. That's hell too.

She gets to live with it. That's punishment within itself. I wouldn't want that guilt trip. If it was up to me, I'd give her no jail time.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

She gets to live with it. That's punishment within itself. I wouldn't want that guilt trip. If it was up to me, I'd give her no jail time.

The jail time is going to ruin her life too. She's not a hard core criminal, she's a kid who made a tragically stupid mistake, drinking and driving. She didn't kill out of anger or passion. Bad decision leads to the loss of two young lives, sad no matter how you look at it. Prom season and graduations are upon us. Every year a few young kids die because of alcohol and driving, lives snuffed out before they ever lived. It still bugs me when hear about it.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

The jail time is going to ruin her life too. She's not a hard core criminal, she's a kid who made a tragically stupid mistake, drinking and driving. She didn't kill out of anger or passion. Bad decision leads to the loss of two young lives, sad no matter how you look at it. Prom season and graduations are upon us. Every year a few young kids die because of alcohol and driving, lives snuffed out before they ever lived. It still bugs me when hear about it.

I mean without jail time, I think it's worse. Imagine killing your two best friends on accident and NOT get punished for it...

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

I mean without jail time, I think it's worse. Imagine killing your two best friends on accident and NOT get punished for it...

I don't know if jail serves any purpose in cases like these. Maybe a couple of years and then try to get your life together? 24 years and there was no malice or premeditation involved. Just three friends out for the night partying. I know if my best friend was driving and I got killed, I wouldn't want him in prison, if that makes any sense since I'd be dead. If it was my child who was killed I don't think I'd want their friend in jail for 20 years either.

To me a case like this is different than a drunk driver plowing into a group of people at a bus stop.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

I don't know if jail serves any purpose in cases like these. Maybe a couple of years and then try to get your life together? 24 years and there was no malice or premeditation involved. Just three friends out for the night partying. I know if my best friend was driving and I got killed, I wouldn't want him in prison, if that makes any sense since I'd be dead. If it was my child who was killed I don't think I'd want their friend in jail for 20 years either.

To me a case like this is different than a drunk driver plowing into a group of people at a bus stop.

I think jail time is for the victim's family. I have sons and if one of their friends was responsible for their death, I'd think jail time would be appropriate. 24 years, I think she might get way less than that for good behavior.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg