cassy1001

translations of documents

8 posts in this topic

Hello again! Another quick question.. Do documents, such as marriage licenses, birth certificates, etc., need to be translated by "official" translators? Or I can I translate them? I speak and write fluently in Portuguese and don't want to spend the extra money if it's not absolutely necessary or recommended. But at the same time, I'd rather spend the money to avoid any issues!

Thanks!

IT MUST be Official . The person who ends up translating those services for you has to also provide a statement saying something along the lines of "This translation is true to the best of my ability and knoweledge, etc etc "

I have 2 documents that needed translating. Total cost $50.

Edited by Karmalious

PETITION I-130

1/2/2015 - Petition sent to Phoenix Lockbox

1/6/2015 - NOA #1 Receipt

7/1/2015 - NOA #2 Approved

7/10/2015 - Email from Nebraska stating sent the case to NVC

NVC

7/16/15 - Case Received by NVC

7/30/15 - Case number assigned

8/3/15 - DS-261 Agent available

8/4/15 - DS-261 Agent completed

8/4/15 - AOS fee available & paid

8/6/15 - Check cleared the bank & bar-code cover sheet now available

8/13/15 - AOS Packet & IV Packet sent to NVC by priority mail

8/15/15 - IV fee available & paid same day

8/17/15 - NVC received package

8/19/15 - Check cleared the bank & DS-260 available & DS-260 completed!!! ALSO, we received email notification from NVC that they received package on 8/17

- Case completed at NVC

- Case sent to Embassy on this date

EMBASSY

- Embassy received packet

- Wife received Packet 3/4 Instructions

- Medical appointment

- Interview

Point of Entry

- Enter Austin, Texas

Here is the official USCIS page that speaks about document translations: http://www.uscis.gov/forms/forms-and-fees/general-tips-assembling-applications-mailing

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

> Almost 2 years of our lives involved with the USCIS/DOS "shuffle" & worth every second of it ! <

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

:idea: Read more, post less.... Google can be your friend ! :idea:

Prior apologies if I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Keep your timeline current: http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Ohhhhh my. This has been discussed just in recent days. Did you not use the search tool. The worst part is people giving false information. The Internet can answer this question. THE USCIS and other government pages will explain this to you. YOU DO NOT NEED a "translation service or company" or whatever to to do. The definition of "certified" only means that there is a statement that something is true. ANYONE can translate - so long as they are fluent in the two (or other) languages being translated to/from. The government sites, includes USCIS clearly state that ANYONE, including friends or family, etc. can translate. It also states that the sponsor or beneficiary CANNOT be the translator - at least the person who signs the statement as being the translator.

It's ridiculous when people give entirely wrong information.

If you don't have someone that is nearly fluent in the languages, then get it done professionally so there is less chance of a mistake. My issue is English and Chinese. My wife and her colleague did the translations themselves since my wife is near perfect in English, her colleague double checked, I triple checked, and wife's colleague signed the "certification" statement. THAT IS THE ONLY LEGAL REQUIREMENT and was accepted without issue.

Uggggghhhhhhhhhhhh, I hate when people don't know facts - there is a difference between opinion of should I send this extra unrequired document versus an actual statement of fact provided even by the USCIS and State Department.

Well, when I read this on the website.... I understood that it needed be official. Thanks for the clarification. It's not ridiculous, it was obviously a misunderstand on my part.

Translation Requirements

All documents not in English, or in the official language of the country in which application for a visa is being made, must be accompanied by certified translations. The translation must include a statement signed by the translator that states that the:

• Translation is accurate, and,
  • Translator is competent to translate.

PETITION I-130

1/2/2015 - Petition sent to Phoenix Lockbox

1/6/2015 - NOA #1 Receipt

7/1/2015 - NOA #2 Approved

7/10/2015 - Email from Nebraska stating sent the case to NVC

NVC

7/16/15 - Case Received by NVC

7/30/15 - Case number assigned

8/3/15 - DS-261 Agent available

8/4/15 - DS-261 Agent completed

8/4/15 - AOS fee available & paid

8/6/15 - Check cleared the bank & bar-code cover sheet now available

8/13/15 - AOS Packet & IV Packet sent to NVC by priority mail

8/15/15 - IV fee available & paid same day

8/17/15 - NVC received package

8/19/15 - Check cleared the bank & DS-260 available & DS-260 completed!!! ALSO, we received email notification from NVC that they received package on 8/17

- Case completed at NVC

- Case sent to Embassy on this date

EMBASSY

- Embassy received packet

- Wife received Packet 3/4 Instructions

- Medical appointment

- Interview

Point of Entry

- Enter Austin, Texas

~Let us lower the tone of the dialogue in this thread. Post constructively, or do not post~

Pitaya

VJ Moderation

Edited by Pitaya

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

> Almost 2 years of our lives involved with the USCIS/DOS "shuffle" & worth every second of it ! <

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

:idea: Read more, post less.... Google can be your friend ! :idea:

Prior apologies if I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Keep your timeline current: http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

I'm using my phone and did look for a search option and even looked through several pages of posts before posting. I started using the site yesterday so please have patience as I get better acquainted.

And thank you for your clarification. I had also read the USCIS site regarding the statement of competency and authenticity, but had not seen that it couldn't be myself of the beneficiary. This is all very helpful information. Thanks again.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.