golazio

B-2 Visa for Italian Boyfriend in College

25 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Probably the first time it was being manually reviewed.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Just remembered that when he received his first ESTA denial in May of 2013, he received the Pending Approval message and it was denied a few days later. This time, he was denied right away. Nothing has changed since last summer, though, aside from his student status, so I don't know what would've caused that. :/

A USC girlfriend perhaps? Was it mentioned in any interview?

Timeline

A USC girlfriend perhaps? Was it mentioned in any interview?

Yes

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Timeline

Then perhaps bingo?

How would he be able to get a B-2 if he has to say he's visiting his girlfriend (which would confirm the bingo on their end)? Other people on here said the "G" word is an automatic deal breaker and if they already know he has a girlfriend in the states, then wouldn't he just be donating money to the government by applying for a B-2? :/

The word "girlfriend" came up from him during his first student visa interview.

At this point, I really want to try for a K-1, but he is very adamant about wanting to wait to get married to me until after he graduates college and has a job even if it means we might only be able to see each other 1-2 weeks each year for four years (if my employer is that generous with vacation time). -.-

Right now, the B-2 is our only chance.

Edited by golazio

Timeline

Then apply and see.

Nobody on here will make the call.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

How would he be able to get a B-2 if he has to say he's visiting his girlfriend (which would confirm the bingo on their end)? Other people on here said the "G" word is an automatic deal breaker and if they already know he has a girlfriend in the states, then wouldn't he just be donating money to the government by applying for a B-2? :/

The word "girlfriend" came up from him during his first student visa interview.

At this point, I really want to try for a K-1, but he is very adamant about wanting to wait to get married to me until after he graduates college and has a job even if it means we might only be able to see each other 1-2 weeks each year for four years (if my employer is that generous with vacation time). -.-

Right now, the B-2 is our only chance.

I can't offer much advice on this in general, since I'm not familiar with other visas, but seeing all of your ':/' makes me feel for you! :( I'm usually one to say wait for the k-1 until you're really sure, and in this case, I wouldn't just jump on the chance to marry him, but... waiting for years to do the k-1 and trying to travel back and forth during that time is going to be really difficult. He's shown intent to stay in the future. If he was already denied not once, but twice for a visa.. I mean, is it really going to work out to wait until 2019 to finally get married?

Is this guy really not willing to consider the k-1 option so that you'll be able to actually SEE each other? A relationship where you see each other for 1-2 weeks a year would be very difficult, I'd imagine. I can't even fathom having that with my fiance. He's leaving me tomorrow for a month, and I'm a mess! It's doable, but is that really what you BOTH want? Even then, you said it would be hard to take off the vacation days, so you're looking at maybe being able to see him once a year for a very short period of time, as it's possible that yes, the money he'll be spending on another visa could be wasted. No one on here can tell you for sure that he'll be denied, but if you're asking if it's a risk, then yes. He's been denied before, they know he has a USC girlfriend, and he still doesn't have sufficient ties. If you want to keep trying, by all means, but he should really be more open to other options that don't leave you seeing him only once a year!

I don't know... It just gets me a bit that you say he's so adamant about waiting until 2019 to get married. If you two really want to be together, then he may need to put off his schooling. I get that maybe that isn't convenient, but love isn't always about convenience! :)

Good luck to you guys!!

K-1 Visa

♥ 10/2/14- I-129F form sent
♥ 10/3/14- USCIS received I-129F
♥ 10/7/14- NOA1
4/24/15- NOA2 [6.5 months; 199 days]
♥ 5/11/15- NVC received & case number assigned
5/13/15- NVC left
5/14/15- Consulate received & ready for interview
6/15/15- Interview- APPROVED!!

7/10/15- Visa in hand

7/11/15- POE

7/14/15- Marriage (Civil)

AOS

7/20/15- AOS/EAD/AP sent together

7/23/15- NOA1 for all 3

8/17/15- Biometrics

8/31/15- Expedited AP document (all in one day)

9/22/15- EAD NOA2

9/30/15- Received EAD/AP combo card

11/20/15- AOS NOA2 (no interview)

11/25/15- Green card received! Woohoo!!!

"Can my fiance(e) visit on VWP while awaiting K-1 visa?"
Check out our recent experience coming through JFK on VWP here!

*Fellow Ecuamerican couples: All info you need to know--

Concise post NOA-2 steps, advice, & consulate info here!*

al6ryq.png

Allie & Santy

I can't offer much advice on this in general, since I'm not familiar with other visas, but seeing all of your ':/' makes me feel for you! :( I'm usually one to say wait for the k-1 until you're really sure, and in this case, I wouldn't just jump on the chance to marry him, but... waiting for years to do the k-1 and trying to travel back and forth during that time is going to be really difficult. He's shown intent to stay in the future. If he was already denied not once, but twice for a visa.. I mean, is it really going to work out to wait until 2019 to finally get married?

Is this guy really not willing to consider the k-1 option so that you'll be able to actually SEE each other? A relationship where you see each other for 1-2 weeks a year would be very difficult, I'd imagine. I can't even fathom having that with my fiance. He's leaving me tomorrow for a month, and I'm a mess! It's doable, but is that really what you BOTH want? Even then, you said it would be hard to take off the vacation days, so you're looking at maybe being able to see him once a year for a very short period of time, as it's possible that yes, the money he'll be spending on another visa could be wasted. No one on here can tell you for sure that he'll be denied, but if you're asking if it's a risk, then yes. He's been denied before, they know he has a USC girlfriend, and he still doesn't have sufficient ties. If you want to keep trying, by all means, but he should really be more open to other options that don't leave you seeing him only once a year!

I don't know... It just gets me a bit that you say he's so adamant about waiting until 2019 to get married. If you two really want to be together, then he may need to put off his schooling. I get that maybe that isn't convenient, but love isn't always about convenience! :)

Good luck to you guys!!

He's adamant about finishing his education because he's delayed college already due to the student visa denials, so he's lost about three years of college when you factor in how far along he was with his law degree. He's a very intelligent person who had the equivalent of a 4.0 GPA in law school and in his current university and it ticks me off that the U.S. government denied the application of a person who is a very hard worker with a strong academic history in a country that has an insanely difficult college curricula just because of his socio-economic status. Even if he has a girlfriend here, he most likely would've been accepted if he was from a rich family.

And he wants to finish college so that he "doesn't graduate when he's 50", as he says. He has a good head on his shoulders even though I really want to be with him more often. He also wouldn't have a degree if he married me right now, so he'd have to pay for college in the U.S. without the guarantee of having a job versus only paying about $600/year for business degree in Italy (I don't blame him knowing how much I'm paying for college right now).

If either of us were rich, this scenario wouldn't exist and that's what ticks me off the most.

We've been through a lot more together than most people I know who've been together for 20 years and I don't want to give up. He means a lot to me and he's done a lot already to try to help us be closer together. :(

At this point, I'm a combination of sad and angry because of how much we've had to go through already and how much he's had to go through. In an ideal world where he could easily attend a college in the U.S. while not paying an arm and a leg (since he doesn't qualify for loans like I do), we'd apply for the K-1 tomorrow.

Edited by golazio

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

He's adamant about finishing his education because he's delayed college already due to the student visa denials, so he's lost about three years of college when you factor in how far along he was with his law degree. He's a very intelligent person who had the equivalent of a 4.0 GPA in law school and in his current university and it ticks me off that the U.S. government denied the application of a person who is a very hard worker with a strong academic history in a country that has an insanely difficult college curricula just because of his socio-economic status. Even if he has a girlfriend here, he most likely would've been accepted if he was from a rich family.

And he wants to finish college so that he "doesn't graduate when he's 50", as he says. He has a good head on his shoulders even though I really want to be with him more often. He also wouldn't have a degree if he married me right now, so he'd have to pay for college in the U.S. without the guarantee of having a job versus only paying about $600/year for business degree in Italy (I don't blame him knowing how much I'm paying for college right now).

If either of us were rich, this scenario wouldn't exist and that's what ticks me off the most.

We've been through a lot more together than most people I know who've been together for 20 years and I don't want to give up. He means a lot to me and he's done a lot already to try to help us be closer together. :(

At this point, I'm a combination of sad and angry because of how much we've had to go through already and how much he's had to go through. In an ideal world where he could easily attend a college in the U.S. while not paying an arm and a leg (since he doesn't qualify for loans like I do), we'd apply for the K-1 tomorrow.

I got you. Unfortunately the government isn't fair... welcome to our world! :/ My fiance had to put off schooling to get married (among other reasons), which cost us a lot of money, too... and his family's judgment. After 3 years of long distance, we knew this was a good option for us. Our difference is- once he's authorized to work, my fiance will probably make better money here than he would in Ecuador.

But you have to be real and not too stubborn about this. :/ He can go back at some point to go back to school. It's not like he could never return. if you're willing to move over there even just temporarily.. He can marry you on k-1, wait until he has the green card/travel permission, and then move to Italy to pursue schooling. He could even work here after he gets authorization and possibly make decent money to help pay for those loans. (Depending on where you live, he could still get a decent job!) Or you both can move to Italy (not sure how set you are on living here, hahaha), marry, and do the CR-1 visa to come back. It may mean either these options or you see each other once a year.

Edited by SantyAndAllie

K-1 Visa

♥ 10/2/14- I-129F form sent
♥ 10/3/14- USCIS received I-129F
♥ 10/7/14- NOA1
4/24/15- NOA2 [6.5 months; 199 days]
♥ 5/11/15- NVC received & case number assigned
5/13/15- NVC left
5/14/15- Consulate received & ready for interview
6/15/15- Interview- APPROVED!!

7/10/15- Visa in hand

7/11/15- POE

7/14/15- Marriage (Civil)

AOS

7/20/15- AOS/EAD/AP sent together

7/23/15- NOA1 for all 3

8/17/15- Biometrics

8/31/15- Expedited AP document (all in one day)

9/22/15- EAD NOA2

9/30/15- Received EAD/AP combo card

11/20/15- AOS NOA2 (no interview)

11/25/15- Green card received! Woohoo!!!

"Can my fiance(e) visit on VWP while awaiting K-1 visa?"
Check out our recent experience coming through JFK on VWP here!

*Fellow Ecuamerican couples: All info you need to know--

Concise post NOA-2 steps, advice, & consulate info here!*

al6ryq.png

Allie & Santy

I got you. Unfortunately the government isn't fair... welcome to our world! :/ My fiance had to put off schooling to get married (among other reasons), which cost us a lot of money, too... and his family's judgment. After 3 years of long distance, we knew this was a good option for us. Our difference is- once he's authorized to work, my fiance will probably make better money here than he would in Ecuador.

But you have to be real and not too stubborn about this. :/ He can go back at some point to go back to school. It's not like he could never return. if you're willing to move over there even just temporarily.. He can marry you on k-1, wait until he has the green card/travel permission, and then move to Italy to pursue schooling. He could even work here after he gets authorization and possibly make decent money to help pay for those loans. (Depending on where you live, he could still get a decent job!) Or you both can move to Italy (not sure how set you are on living here, hahaha), marry, and do the CR-1 visa to come back. It may mean either these options or you see each other once a year.

Thanks for your help!

We talked about it tonight and he has decided to compromise by finishing his Bachelor's degree in Italy and then apply to U.S. grad schools so he can start his MBA during the fall of 2017. We aren't sure if we should go the K-1 visa route or if he should go the student visa route again so he can go to school here. He is open to pursuing an MBA in the U.S. if he can do it legally and if we can live together or at least live closer than 4,000 miles to each other. :)

He has completely ruled out the B-2 for this summer as the trade off since he doesn't want to risk his chances of being eligible for a potential student visa. I'm going to get him prepped for the GRE and the GMAT in the mean time.

Since he wants to go to grad school now, should we apply for the K-1 visa so we can marry before then (at what point would he be eligible to attend a U.S. Grad school without a student visa if we went this route?) or should he shoot for a student visa again? Third time's the charm? :P

Edited by golazio

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.