Boiler

Islamist gun men attack Dallas art event

339 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Are you saying the guys who did this were Muslims?

Duhh

The acres of coverage and you are the only one questioning it.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Duhh

The acres of coverage and you are the only one questioning it.

Oh I forgot who I was talking to. You can't tell the difference.

Those dudes weren't muslims. The second they killed, they were murderers. But I forget, this rule only applies to Christians.

links? /sarcasm

Come with the proof since you claim it happens daily. Show me of these events where there is a cash prize for derogatory pictures of Jesus Christ.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Filed: Timeline

When Bibles are burned in this country, people go to jail. Around here, the state protects religious stuff. As long as it belongs to the right religion, that is.

Arizona man arrested for burning, urinating on Bible

Yet if you burn the other book, you get to run for President.

Koran-burning pastor running for president

MURKA!

Edited by Mr. Big Dog

Duck+1.gif

Quack Quack.. LOL Yes indeed the most important thing here is why did someone "target" the prophet. OMG really. The guys trying to kill everyone in sight .. The pales in importance. Duck indeed.

When Bibles are burned in this country, people go to jail. Around here, the state protects religious stuff. As long as it belongs to the right religion, that is.

Arizona man arrested for burning, urinating on Bible

Yet if you burn the other book, you get to run for President.

Koran-burning pastor running for president

MURKA!

So, you can burn the Qur'an but not the Bible? Thought this was a free country.

Also MBD, can you find these events where folks get paid 10 grand to draw funny pictures of Jesus? I mean apparently they happen daily, yet I can't find anything...

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

The monsters who do these things aren't Muslims. They're nutjobs. A real muslim wouldn't resort to violence just like a real Christian isn't supposed to. That's a given.

What's worse, is this event was done to incite hatred. A better question would be why was the prophet targeted in the first place?

I don't want to get into the argument whether someone is a "real" Muslim or Christian.

But I really am disappointed that an event like this would take place. It is similar to the "art" that was meant to be offensive to Christians. There is no doubt that freedom of speech gives people the right to offend Muslims, Christians, or anybody else. But honestly, I can't understand why someone would want to purposely offend someone. What's the point? They just want to make sure that everyone knows they're an a$$hole?

I don't excuse the 2 who wanted to kill the participants; but I also don't have a lot of sympathy for those whose only goal is to offend someone.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

(CNN)Whatever spurred Elton Simpson and Nadir Soofi to drive across two states to shoot up a Prophet Mohammed cartoon contest is lost on their families, their neighbors and the place they had worshipped.

One was a described as "gentle person," albeit one who had been convicted of a terror-related charge and supported an ISIS propagandist.

The other was a father who had "put his son above everything" -- until the day he and his roommate opened fire at the event in Garland, Texas, wounding a security guard before police shot and killed the gunmen.

Here's what we know about the attackers:

150504180505-texas-shooting-suspects-spl
Nadir Soofi, left, and Elton Simpson

ELTON SIMPSON

He may have been an ISIS supporter

While U.S. authorities investigate whether Sunday's shooting has any link to international terrorism, ISIS claimed responsibility for the attack.

In a radio broadcast, ISIS referred to Simpson and Soofi as two of its "soldiers" and and threatened more attacks. But it's unclear whether the terror group in Iraq and Syria actually had contact with Simpson or Soofi, who both lived in Phoenix.

150504073442-newday-dnt-lavandera-mohamm

Gunmen opened fire at Mohammed cartoon event 02:07
PLAY VIDEO

Moments before the shootout, Simpson posted an ominous tweet with the hashtag #texasattack: "May Allah accept us as mujahideen."

The tweet also said Simpson and his fellow attacker had pledged allegiance to "Amirul Mu'mineen," which means "the leader of the faithful." CNN terrorism analyst Paul Cruickshank said that probably refers to ISIS leader Abu Bakr al Baghdadi.

Earlier, Simpson had asked his readers on Twitter to follow an ISIS propagandist.

After the shooting, the same propagandist tweeted: "Allahu Akbar!!!! 2 of our brothers just opened fire."

Both Twitter accounts have been deactivated.

ISIS threatens attacks against the U.S.

He has a rap sheet

In 2011, Simpson was convicted of making a false statement involving international and domestic terrorism.

Prosecutors said he told FBI agents that he had not discussed traveling to Somalia to engage in "violent jihad" -- when, in fact, he had, according to an indictment.

Simpson was sentenced to three years of probation, court records show.

His former lawyer, Kristina Sitton, told CNN that Simpson ended up on the federal no-fly list. In fact, he contacted her once after trying to get on a plane at a Phoenix airport, only to be turned away.

He was a 'very devout Muslim'

That's according to Sitton, who spent many hours over about two years in her office with Simpson while representing him in the Somalia case.

When the meetings ran long, the attorney recalled Simpson asking to leave to pray somewhere quiet.

"He was a very devout Muslim," said Sitton, who sensed Simpson was trying to convert her and her staffers but never saw him as a threat. "... I can tell you with absolute certainty that I didn't observe anything that had anything to do with radicalization."

In fact, Sitton said, "there were no signs" that Simpson would pull off an attack like the one in Garland.

"He was a very kind-hearted, respectful young man," the lawyer added. "He always treated me with respect."

He had 'a good demeanor'

That view was seconded by the president of the Islamic Community Center of Phoenix, where both Simpson and Soofi worshiped.

Usama Shami said Simpson came regularly until around 2010 or 2011, about the time the FBI arrested him on the false statement charges. Soofi came less frequently.

Simpson "was a gentle person," Shami said. "He always had a good attitude, a good demeanor."

Like others at the mosque, Shami said he was stunned to hear about the attack Sunday night.

"They didn't show any signs of radicalization or any signs of even thinking about those things in that manner," he said. "So when that happens, it just shocks you. 'How good did you know these people?' That's the question that people ask themselves."

His family is stunned, too

On top of their grief, Simpson's relatives are struggling to come to terms with his involvement in the attack.

"We send our prayers to everyone affected by this act of senseless violence, especially the security guard who was injured in the line of duty," Simpson's family said in a statement.

"We are sure many people in this country are curious to know if we had any idea of Elton's plans. To that we say, without question, we did not. Just like everyone in our beautiful country, we are struggling to understand how this could happen. ... We are heartbroken and in a state of deep shock as we grieve."

He and Soofi were roommates

Their neighbors in Phoenix said they had no clue about what Simpson and Soofi were plotting to do.

Ariel Whitlock was actually about to buy a car from Simpson. She was horrified to see the same black Chevrolet Cobalt, damaged from the attack, on the news.

150504100044-01-texas-shooting-0504-medi

Were Texas shooters self-radicalized? 02:08
PLAY VIDEO

"I'm getting goose bumps thinking about it right now just because I wanted to buy that car," she told CNN's Kyung Lah. "On the news, I see it, it's just blown up. I'm like, 'I was going to purchase that car.' "

Whitlock said she's sickened by the possibility that, had she bought the car, the money could have gone to fund an attack.

"Maybe he's just gonna go plot something and you're giving the money to help him go plot something," she said. "It's just crazy."

NADIR SOOFI

He died near where he was born

Soofi was born in Garland and spent the first three years of his life there, his mother said, according to The Dallas Morning News.

150504195413-erin-dnt-machado-garland-te

Traffic officer praised for thwarting Texas attack 02:15
PLAY VIDEO

"He was raised in a normal American fashion," Sharon Soofi said. "Yes, he was very politically involved with the Middle East. Just aware of what's going on. I don't know if something snapped or if Elton Simpson was just working on him."

He left behind an 8-year-old son

Sharon Soofi also said her son had an 8-year-old boy whom he adored.

"He put his son above everything," she said. "The hard thing to comprehend is why he would do this and leave an 8-year-old son behind."

He went to a prestigious private school

Soofi's father is Pakistani, and his mother is American, a source with knowledge of the family told CNN.

After his parents divorced, Soofi and his brother moved to the United States in 1998 to live with their mother and gradually lost touch with many of their friends in Pakistan, the source said.

In the 1990s, Soofi attended a prestigious private school in Islamabad.

He wasn't on the FBI's radar

Unlike Simpson, who had been convicted of a terror-related charge, Soofi was relatively unknown to federal investigators, a law enforcement official told CNN.

Authorities knew of no indication the two planned to launch Sunday's attack, another law enforcement official said.

He had asked for forgiveness

Soofi's Facebook page reveals strong opinions, but no call to violence.

But a note from four years ago shows he asked Allah for forgiveness for every sin -- both intentional and unintentional.

He was a helpful neighbor

Tim Rains remembers Soofi helping him when he had a heart condition about a year ago.

150504091434-texas-shooting-mohammed-car

Cartoon contest organizer defends decision to hold event 02:07
PLAY VIDEO

As Rains was coming home, he collapsed on a stairwell. Soofi noticed.

"He seen all that, and he came over and offered me help," Rains said.

So how does he reconcile the notion that his neighbor also tried to shoot people in Texas?

"Oh, it's easy, everybody has a good side to them," Rains said. "If you see somebody hurting like that, you're going to help them. I think he went to Texas to shoot people for a reason."

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Also MBD, can you find these events where folks get paid 10 grand to draw funny pictures of Jesus? I mean apparently they happen daily, yet I can't find anything...

I would not condone arrest for either , nor would think either act is anywhere in the wheelhouse wit killing someone for doing it

:cry: when you get done feeling victimized and learn the google trick. search

piss Jesus' then tell us how many people got dead because of it.

The monsters who do these things aren't Muslims. They're nutjobs. A real muslim wouldn't resort to violence just like a real Christian isn't supposed to. That's a given.

What's worse, is this event was done to incite hatred. A better question would be why was the prophet targeted in the first place?

Actually they are Muslims and did it in the name of Islam. Of course you think trying to kill everyone is not as important as someone making fun of Mohammad .

That right there told me everything I needed to know.

I don't want to get into the argument whether someone is a "real" Muslim or Christian.

But I really am disappointed that an event like this would take place. It is similar to the "art" that was meant to be offensive to Christians. There is no doubt that freedom of speech gives people the right to offend Muslims, Christians, or anybody else. But honestly, I can't understand why someone would want to purposely offend someone. What's the point? They just want to make sure that everyone knows they're an a$$hole?

I don't excuse the 2 who wanted to kill the participants; but I also don't have a lot of sympathy for those whose only goal is to offend someone.

My point was how when you're a Christian, you can only make that claim if you're Christ like. The second you do something bad, you lose the title. This is the norm. It's why you'll never hear Christian goes on shooting spree. Muslims, on the other hand, are still Muslims even if they do something like this. They don't get stripped of their title, it's branded on them.

The whole event was targeted towards Muslims. This wasn't about free speech, it was bait. Even the Muslims in the community stayed away to avoid a confrontation, but the dudes who showed up and started shooting weren't even from the area. The folks that organized this KNEW there would be some sort of reaction. And now they're using it to say Muslims are all violent.

:cry: when you get done feeling victimized and learn the google trick. search

piss Jesus' then tell us how many people got dead because of it.

You made the claim. Do the work.

Actually they are Muslims and did it in the name of Islam. Of course you think trying to kill everyone is not as important as someone making fun of Mohammad .

That right there told me everything I needed to know.

So if I'm a Muslim, does that mean that those two and I are one in the same?

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

My point was how when you're a Christian, you can only make that claim if you're Christ like. The second you do something bad, you lose the title. This is the norm. It's why you'll never hear Christian goes on shooting spree. Muslims, on the other hand, are still Muslims even if they do something like this. They don't get stripped of their title, it's branded on them.

The whole event was targeted towards Muslims. This wasn't about free speech, it was bait. Even the Muslims in the community stayed away to avoid a confrontation, but the dudes who showed up and started shooting weren't even from the area. The folks that organized this KNEW there would be some sort of reaction. And now they're using it to say Muslims are all violent.

You made the claim. Do the work.

So if I'm a Muslim, does that mean that those two and I are one in the same?

A. I know lots of Christians A Hats, who still call themselves Christian, and some o them are TV preachers.

B. I wish you could fake a little outrage at the shooters.

Maybe this was a random protest event to cause someone made a movie talking smak about Moohamand. Sound familiar. Atheist hold allies almost daily denouncing Christianity. Nobody dies. Groups file lawsuits all the time to get Christian symbols removed. Nobody dies. Stop saying nobody attacks Christianity. It's done every day, and we don't use it to justice violence .