G_One

Help needed for maintaining GC

22 posts in this topic

Even if u go out of u.s. with reentry permit. Uscis officer can make you not to enter u.s. it depends on.

Some Ppl had gone their home (outside u.s.) sometimes they lost gc or expired. And they tried to come back to u.s.(maybe entering) then.. it depends on usis officer. Even they had reentry permit and they paid for tax in the United states.

So... even if you have personal situation. If its not really bother your life. I would say...just stay here until you get citizenship

I dont want you post new content later.Such as... help me I lost my gc while I stayed overseas and uscis office denied to come back to u.s. (transportation letter)

or. I was detained in the airport because of blah,blah blah....

Alright?

Hi All,

I need some help in maintaining my GC.

I am out of US from Jan 2015 after my maiden visit to US for 10 days, did POE applied for SSN (but didnt receive the ssn), later my relative received my GC and got it to India in March 2015. I have couple of questions on maintaining my GC.

1) I am planning to return to US after 5 and a half months that is in June 2nd week, since some important personal commitments are not yet done in India. Will that be ok, since I will not over stay out of US more than 180 days it will be like 165 days outside the US ? Can I stay more time outside like 2-3 months so in total it will be 8-9 months outside USA ?

2) If not later I have come back to India again asap, so how soon can I go back to India like after staying 1 or 2 months etc in US, what is the rule like to maintain the GC ? Whats the minimum stay in USA per year, is there anything like that ?

Please advice, Thanks.

Swear in 03/20/2015

U.S. Citizenship 2015 Nov~

Removing conditions on Residency

I-751 Filed 06/09/2014
NOA 1 NEVER RECEIVED (EDIT - MY HUSBAND PUT THAT LETTER IN THE CAR...GRRRR I JUST NOTICED THAT AFTER I RECEIVED MY GREENCARD)
Biometrics 07/14/2014
(Case transfer from VSC to CSC Oct/29/2014)
RFE Received 12/18/2014
2nd Bio 01/23/2015
3rd Bio 02/03/2015 + Infopass for I-551 stamp
RFE Responded 02/04/2015 (Mailed RFE Jan 30)
Approved!!!!! 02/10/2015
Card Mailed 02/17/2015 Card was picked up by the usps 02/18/2015
Card in hand 02/21/2015 !!!!!

Adjust to permanent resident status

Filed 05/03/2012
NOA 1 05/07/2012(notice date)
Biometrics 06/08/2012
(Case transfer from VSC to CSC June/01/2012)
Approved 09/05/2012
(welcome notice with card)

Of course I stayed overseas so many times over 6 months withIn 1 year. Because my husband is u.s.army.

he went to deploy after I received gc...

and I had personal issue just like yu

( I am regretting it sometimes that I was out of u.s. I didnt need to deal with it. )

and I usually showed my military dependent id card. And while my permanent greencard was pending case ( old one was expired but I had 1 year extension letter) c.b.p. didnt let me go to the u.s.

I was explained to them and showed my family members death of certificated too but they just said sry but we cant let you gooooo

Eventually I got transportation letter. But when I got it. It wasnt easy to hav interview with uscis officer. He didnt want to give me transportation letter. and I had 2nd interview. After he contacted uscis office which is in u.s.

and when I received it. Officer told me that once you go out of u.s. again we will terminate your greencard..

Duh. Now I don't want to deal with any single problem. And I wont leave this country.

And most of my friends (I called them dumb) they said. Officer was threathened you. Thats all you can visit other countries . Well. This is your life. And once it has a problem with visa. You know you cant make it easy the rest of your life until you became citizen

Edited by toribae1031
Swear in 03/20/2015

I-751 Filed 06/09/2014
NOA 1 NEVER RECEIVED (EDIT - MY HUSBAND PUT THAT LETTER IN THE CAR...GRRRR I JUST NOTICED THAT AFTER I RECEIVED MY GREENCARD)
Biometrics 07/14/2014
RFE Received 12/18/2014
2nd Bio 01/23/2015
Approved!!!!! 02/10/2015

Filed 05/03/2012
Biometrics 06/08/2012
Approved 09/05/2012

Swear in 03/20/2015

I-751 Filed 06/09/2014
Biometrics 07/14/2014
RFE Received 12/18/2014
2nd Bio 01/23/2015
Approved!!!!! 02/10/2015

Filed 05/03/2012
Biometrics 06/08/2012
Approved 09/05/2012

Filed: FB-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

People already advised you several times in your previous posts of the same topic.

Not really, the second question is different regarding the stay requirement in US.

Very well said. I have similar situation as OP. My sister is in medical school and she has year left. She should get her gc in august but need to go back to finished last year of med school. She plan on staying in usa later on but at same time she is in f2a so once age is over she can not get visa again. So best solution is to maintain green card by reentry permit. So I do understand where OP is trying to make point but his or her rude way to address forum is not appreciated at all. If you need help then be polite and explain your situation in detail so people do not judge wrong way

My response was in line to those who use sarcasm in their replies, make sweeping generalized statements, make unnecessary negative assumptions about others and who do not know the law accurately but can pass the judgments on a case.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Not really, the second question is different regarding the stay requirement in US.

Being a PR you reside in the US, stay implies that you are living elsewhere and visit the US.

Being resident in the US does not mean you can not stay/visit elsewhere. Often most people have limited opportunities, the common scenario I have seen for recent immigrants with long trips is where they go back to finish their schooling.

Most Immigration Lawyers are not that familiar with abandonment issues, if you consult with a Lawyer ask if they have tried cases.

I am not a Lawyer, I see comments posted all the time here on this subject which are clearly wrong. Staying on the clear side of the line is easy, otherwise well the worst that will happen is that you end up in front of an IJ and lose your GC.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Very well said. I have similar situation as OP. My sister is in medical school and she has year left. She should get her gc in august but need to go back to finished last year of med school. She plan on staying in usa later on but at same time she is in f2a so once age is over she can not get visa again. So best solution is to maintain green card by reentry permit. So I do understand where OP is trying to make point but his or her rude way to address forum is not appreciated at all. If you need help then be polite and explain your situation in detail so people do not judge wrong way

DITTO! I also wonder why all the negative comments were necessary to a very legitimate question! Not everyone can wrap up their affairs in their home country so quickly!

@ G-one - I know MANY GC holders who spend 6 months in the US and 6 months in their home country. They have NO problems with re-entry. Make sure you file your taxes each year if applicable. Many people do it (split their time) and manage their lives that way. (please note that the extensive time away will affect how soon you can get your citizenship, if you are so inclined).

for clarification you should spend 6 months and 1 day in the US. You will be able to re-enter.

Best of luck and be happy!

Priority Date - December 2, 2013

USCIS -

12/02/13 : NOA1 (Priority Date)

03/24/15 : Case Transferred from VSC to CSC

03/28/15 : Hard copy of transfer received in mail

04/14/15 : NOA2 ( I-130 Approved) - finally! (informed via text on 4/16/2015)

NVC -

04/29/15 : NVC received the case (informed during phone call to NVC on 5/01/2015

05/08/15 : Case number assigned and IIN (received via phone call on 5/14/2015)

05/12/15 : NVC Welcome letter mailed

05/19/15 : NVC Welcome received in mail

05/29/15 : DS-261 Finally Available on CEAC and completed

05/29/15 : AOS bill Available on CEAC and paid (status: IN PROCESS)

06/02/15 : AOS bill status: PAID

06/15/15 : IV invoice generated (notified by email) but unable to pay on CEAC...waiting...

07/05/15 : IV bill Finally Available on CEAC and paid (status: IN PROCESS)

07/08/15 : IV bill status: PAID

07/08/15 : DS-260 Available

07/12/15 : DS-260 completed and submitted

07/13/15 : AOS and IV package mailed to NVC

07/14/15 : AOS and IV package received by NVC

07/16/15 : Scan Date

07/28/15 : CASE COMPLETE - NO checklist! :dancing::dancing::dancing:London...here we come...!!

08/04/15 : CC Email received...waiting for Interview Letter....

08/11/15 : Interview letter (IL/P4) received ...interview date 9/11/2015! :dancing: :dancing::dancing:

EMBASSY -

08/11/15 : Case Shipped to embassy

08/12/15 : Case Arrived in UK (tracked on DHL website)

08/12/15 : Medical completed

08/14/15 : CEAC showing IN TRANSIT

08/18/15 : CEAC showing READY

09/11/15 : Interview date (initial)

09/08/15 : Interview date (rescheduled on 8/18/2015) - APPROVED :)

xx/xx/15 : Visa in hand
xx/xx/15 : POE....Dulles airport!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Friend of mine spent 5 months away, got such a grilling on his way back it persuaded him to naturalise asap.

But then I know somebody who effectively lived in the US for 10 years on a B.

YMMV

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.