tomyka81

This process is so stressful

25 posts in this topic

Filed: L-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

My children are grown and married and very supportive, my mother passed in Aug so my dad will travel with me, I love Tunisia and its like my home too. And yep I think the embassy co ( marriage gods) does this to see how much we really love each other lol

I hope that the CO reviews each person's situation individually and not like a recipe or a check box format...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

To clarify the OP's situation she visited once for 5 days and then filed.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: L-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Yes and there are other particulars spelled out in my case that I hope DHS and the CO reads and the evidence attached. Then they will see why only 5 days and why to a different country than my fiance lives in. Hopefully they read the statement about it. Otherwise, it is cartblanch not great. I have no doubt the K1 will be approved. It is the visa itself I am worried about.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline

The waiting is definitely hard but think of it as a huge project you are achieving together and will make you stronger. Think how when this is all done what you were able to accomplish! All the documents, the step by step process...I don't know but I would guess it's too difficult for some to even attempt.

On a more practical note, I try to keep busy making room in the house, organizing and cleaning out closets, redoing a new office for the both of us, freeing up some drawers...make something special for him.

From what I see California is much faster than others and ours only took 17 days, we were thinking maybe 5 months just for that step! Now waiting for the next step at nvc. Best of luck to you.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Calm down, it's not as bad as you think it is. there are a lot of K1 visa approvals in Lagos trust me, but the onus is on the both of you proving you are in a bonafide relationship. I might be playing devil's advocate here but there are a lot of things to consider and the Nigerian situation hasn't exactly done the men there any favors. you are still at the USCIS stage so it will be fine. By your timeline estimates, expect anything between 3 to 6 months for an approval from USCIS. because it's a K1 visa, it won't be delayed at the NVC so you can add at least an extra month to that.

Now, I can't stress enough that you partner has to sell your relationship to the CO as legit and you've gotta make sure he doesn't have any stuff that can derail your progress. things like past relationships, kids from previous marriages/relationships etc Those are the prominent red flags, also, have him go thru the likely questions on this site, i have found out that the questions asked will be based on the questionaire submitted but still erring on the side of caution isn't a bad thing.

In the meantime, just like other members have said, try to focus on being busy on your end and seeing any info from the USCIS or NVC as a bonus to your day. Don't focus on how long it will take, focus on getting thru the day.

I wish you both the best of luck

In order to cope with this process, you need to continue on with your life/daily activities as if you didn't file for K1 visa. Check once in a while. Like you, I used to check it 50 times a day until it started affected our relationship. I got impatient because the people that filed after me were getting approved before me. I learned the hard way that I need to stop fussing over it. So I went out with my friends and enjoyed my family as much as I can because once it gets approved, everything starts moving really fast. As a petitioner, you can focus on preparing your house. Check for whatever it repairs or additions it might need for your future spouse's arrival. Maybe find a new and interesting show that will keep you occupied. Do ANYTHING to keep yourself busy. Just DONT forget to live your life while waiting.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Inappropriate post removed. Post constructively or do not post.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

I think it all depends on individual's personality.

It took about 10 months before my wife came to US...thanks to TSC.

We assumed it could take that much time from the beginning and

we never got too frustrated...though we missed each other at times.

We made up the separation by video Skyping everyday for 1 to 2 hours,

and it turned out to be actually good time gap as we were able to

build deeper understanding and trust of each other.

And once she arrived in US, we hardly had any surprise about each other.

One analogy I can use to describe what you can do is...

When you microwave some food for 2 minutes, and you are standing in

front of it and watching each second tick away...that 2 minutes will feel like 20 minutes.

The best thing to do is don't get consumed with the processing.

Just do periodic check...like once a week...and enjoy your "free" life

now while you can...before your future spouse arrives.

10-04-2013 We met online
11-21-2013 We met in person in Shanghai for 2 weeks

12-13-2013 I-129F packet sent via express

12-19-2013 USCIS NOA #1 (text and email) received

12-24-2013 USCIS assigns Alien Registration Number
12-31-2013 USCIS NOA #1 hard copy received
06-02-2014 USCIS web site shows NOA #2 approval
06-06-2014 USCIS web site shows case sent to NVC

06-xx-2014 Fiancee acquired birth, marriage, and police certificates from local police station (wrong)

06-16-2014 NVC creates case with GUZ### number

06-19-2014 NVC sends case sent to Guangzhou, China
06-24-2014 Received packet 3 express mail from embassy
06-25-2014 Completed DS-160 and paid K1 visa fee

06-26-2014 Mailed packet 3 response back to Embassy

06-26-2014 Requested police certificate from Russian embassy

07-08-2014 Received packet 4 email from Embassy

07-17-2014 Picked up Russian police certificate

07-25-2014 Fiancee medical exam (received MMR & Varicella, but they missed required TD shot)

07-31-2014 Picked up medical exam reports

08-01-2014 Request (correct) birth, marriage, and police certificates from Notarial Service (GongZhengChu)

08-06-2014 Picked up birth, marriage, and police certificates from Notarial Service

08-14-2014 Passed Interview Guangzhou embassy

09-01-2014 Received passport, visa, & sealed envelope

09-13-2014 POE

09-17-2014 Went to CBP office to get (US entry) I-94 updated correctly

09-18-2014 Applied for Social Security Card
09-19-2014 Applied for Marriage License (via online)
09-25-2014 Received Social Security Card
09-30-2014 Picked up Marriage License
10-09-2014 Marriage by Justice of Peace
10-09-2014 Got Certified Marriage Certificate Copies
10-17-2014 Received a letter from SS office that they need the marriage license
10-09-2014 Applied to change the social security card name
10-24-2014 Went back to SS office to provide the marriage certificate documents again!!!
12-09-2014 Submitted AOS, EAD, and AP
12-16-2014 Received 16 emails and 16 text NOA messages
01-05-2015 Received Biometrics appointment letter for (01-12-2015)
01-12-2015 Had Biometrics (fingerprint & picture) - Required Marriage Certificate!!!
02-17-2015 EAD and AP is approved
02-23-2015 Received AP is approval letter
02-25-2015 Received EAD/AP combo card (expires 02/16/2016)
02-27-2015 Applied for SS card name change (they took her SS card)
02-27-2015 Driver's learner permit test was denied since the SS card was given to SS office for name change
03-17-2015 Received SS card with married name
03-17-2015 Started to change all her accounts to married name
03-23-2015 Received potential interview waiver letter
03-27-2015 DMV rejects learner's permit due to "legal status=pending" and vision test failure
04-05-2015 Vision test for learner's permit
04-06-2015 DPS sent us letter that DHS cleared my wife's status to acquire driver's license.
04-10-2015 Passed Driver Learner's Permit
04-22-2015 Received Driver Learner's Permit ID card (expires 02/16/2016)
08-27-2015 Green Card approved
08-31-2015 Received Green Card "Welcome Notice Was Mailed" letter
09-05-2015 Received Green card
10-26-2015 Passed Driver's License Road Test (on 3rd attempt)
11-03-2015 Received Driver's License (expires 02/16/2022)
11-06-2015 Applied to remove conditional work remark on SS card
11-23-2015 Received updated Social Security Card.
- - - - - - - - - - Pending Future Processing - - - - - - - - - -
05-27-2017 File 10 Year Green Card
08-27-2017 2 Year Green Card Expires
05-27-2018 File USC

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Yes and there are other particulars spelled out in my case that I hope DHS and the CO reads and the evidence attached. Then they will see why only 5 days and why to a different country than my fiance lives in. Hopefully they read the statement about it. Otherwise, it is cartblanch not great. I have no doubt the K1 will be approved. It is the visa itself I am worried about.

Hey!

I totally understand all of you! And I actually can't wait for my fiancee to come to USA and live with me. I decided to be with someone from my own country too lol.

And I am more worried about sponsorship too! Because my dad is selling the house and stuff, so our tax form is kind of weak... I'm scared that I will need to find another sponsor :(

I'm the petitioner

• Met: August 13th, 2010 month later decided to start relationship
  • Proposed - Jabuary, 2015
  • Decided to apply for k-1 visa - March, 2015
  • Sent I-129f to USCIS - March 27th, 2015
  • Got notification on I-129f - March 31st, 2015
  • NOA1 - April 7th, 2015
  • NOA 2 - April 30th, 2015
  • NOA 2 (hardcopy) - May 4th, 2015
  • NVC - May 13th, 2015
  • case sent to the embassy - May 15th, 2015
  • Ready to schedule an interview in embassy (on CEAC) - May 19th, 2015
  • Documents arrived to Russia and can physically schedule an interview - June 3rd, 2015
  • Interview (!!!!!) - June 11th, 2015 (neither approved or denied)
  • Administrative Processing - from 11th of June to July 15th

Green card:

• Sent i-485, August 7th, 2015
  • Notification that they received it - August 13th, 2015
  • Noa-1 Sent to us - (were on vacation, got it on August 22nd)
  • Fingerprint appointment - September 1st, 2015
  • Walk-in - August 24th, 2015
  • RFE - August 26th, 2015
  • RFE evidence received in USCIS - September 14th, 2015

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

YYYYEEEESSSSSS!!!! The things I have heard and read about Nigeria's interviews almost like they relish in giving the denials even if the K-1 is approved. We went so far as to front load embassy stamped bachelorhood certificate for him and affadavits from his family and mine. It is so sad almost. I was even considering putting the WEAC results to prove he isn't a fraud. Basically the hurdle is prove your guy isn't a fraud. He is nigerian. Nigerian man equals visa fraud. So I am like why even approve the petition?Save people some time and anxiety..... Then it is almost like the adjudicators want the USC to stay in Nigeria for more than a month or multiple visits to prove he isn't scamming...... Excuse me but I have a JOB and a kid in school. Who has that kind of time to be gone away from their house that long???? Ok I have vented.... Keep me posted.

So sorry for the late response, I'm just getting use to this site and all the many ways to interact with members! :)

I agree with you, I even would go as far as to wonder if the Nigerian govt is somehow requesting a low number of visas be approved. I try to visit as often as $$$ and time allows us. Even as far as going for only 4 days at a tim,only to return to work straight from my flight. Its a nightmare! I am considering a leave from work to spend a month or two if I am able during the summer months. At the end of this all I pray I still have a job! But still trekking on hoping for the light at the end of the deep tunnel!.( In my nigerian voice..."There is God ooooh")

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.