Not a Tailor

Wisconsin Republicans Don’t Want Food Stamp Recipients Buying Beans, Potatoes, Pasta Sauce

58 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

some definitely do. Others don't.

The percentage of people with genuine thyroid problems is ver very small. Eat less calories than you burn and you'll lose weight. No one wants to exercise and they eat till they're full. That's why they get fat. Look around. Look at what people put in their shopping carts. Look at the people who are regularly at the gym.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

The percentage of people with genuine thyroid problems is ver very small. Eat less calories than you burn and you'll lose weight. No one wants to exercise and they eat till they're full. That's why they get fat. Look around. Look at what people put in their shopping carts. Look at the people who are regularly at the gym.

Thyroid isn't the only issue. There are many other health issues and disabilities that make weight gain nearly inevitable. I work with many people at my job who are on social assistance due to mental health problems and they are largely all obese. Why? Psychiatric medications often cause weight gain. Birth control can cause weight gain. Steroids can cause weight gain. A damaged knee can open the pathway to weight gain and it's hard to stop it.

I do look around the gym when I go and you know what I've noticed? When someone who doesn't already have an ideal body type shows up and starts working out, all the machines around that person go unused, as though others are afraid it's catching.

Weight gain doesn't happen overnight and it's hard to stop or lose weight, especially when the spaces that are supposed to promote health shun you and cost money. Especially when the only things you know how to cook that you can afford are high calorie. Especially when the amount of time left in your day for cooking means you have to throw a frozen meal in and bathe the kids and help with homework while it cooks.

It's not a simple matter. And it's not fixed by what is being proposed in Wisconsin. And taking away money from the poor because the poor in other countries are skinny doesn't fix it.

Met in 2010 on a forum for a mutual interest. Became friends.
2011: Realized we needed to evaluate our status as friends when we realized we were talking about raising children together.

2011/2012: Decided we were a couple sometime in, but no possibility of being together due to being same sex couple.

June 26, 2013: DOMA overturned. American married couples ALL have the same federal rights at last! We can be a family!

June-September, 2013: Discussion about being together begins.

November 13, 2013: Meet in person to see if this could work. It's perfect. We plan to elope to Boston, MA.

March 13, 2014 Married!

May 9, 2014: Petition mailed to USCIS

May 12, 2014: NOA1.
October 27, 2014: NOA2. (5 months, 2 weeks, 1 day after NOA1)
October 31, 2014: USCIS ships file to NVC (five days after NOA2) Happy Halloween for us!

November 18, 2014: NVC receives our case (22 days after NOA2)

December 17, 2014: NVC generates case number (50 days after NOA2)

December 19, 2014: Receive AOS bill, DS-261. Submit DS-261 (52 days after NOA2)

December 20, 2014: Pay AOS Fee

January 7, 2015: Receive, pay IV Fee

January 10, 2015: Complete DS-260

January 11, 2015: Send AOS package and Civil Documents
March 23, 2015: Case Complete at NVC. (70 days from when they received docs to CC)

May 6, 2015: Interview at Montréal APPROVED!

May 11, 2015: Visa in hand! One year less one day from NOA1.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Funny thing is when I see truly poor people in other parts of the world they are skinny from not eating

In the USA it seems like a lot of the people who can qualify for "Food Stamps" are overweight

Kinda funny isnt' it............

No, not really.

Oct 19, 2010 I-130 application submitted to US Embassy Seoul, South Korea

Oct 22, 2010 I-130 application approved

Oct 22, 2010 packet 3 received via email

Nov 15, 2010 DS-230 part 1 faxed to US Embassy Seoul

Nov 15, 2010 Appointment for visa interview made on-line

Nov 16, 2010 Confirmation of appointment received via email

Dec 13, 2010 Interview date

Dec 15, 2010 CR-1 received via courier

Mar 29, 2011 POE Detroit Michigan

Feb 15, 2012 Change of address via telephone

Jan 10, 2013 I-751 packet mailed to Vermont Service CenterJan 15, 2013 NOA1

Jan 31, 2013 Biometrics appointment letter received

Feb 20, 2013 Biometric appointment date

June 14, 2013 RFE

June 24, 2013 Responded to RFE

July 24, 2013 Removal of conditions approved

And although I am overweight, I admit what you say is the gospel. I have been very fit in my life before, and it was due to diet and exercise.

I am overweight because I eat ####### food and up until I started working on da car lot, I sat on my butt and argued with with muddy ditch leftist all day.

However I average 5-7 miles a day walking the car lot . I am down 19 lbs without changing my eating habits. That right there is all the proof you need.

And as a closer. Brown Rice, legumes, collards, etc, many of the thins you can get on cheap budgets , can be very healthy. Sugar and Fat, which generally cost a bit more $$$ dollars are the killers.

Carbs ( complex) are not the bogey man many claim

Thyroid isn't the only issue. There are many other health issues and disabilities that make weight gain nearly inevitable. I work with many people at my job who are on social assistance due to mental health problems and they are largely all obese. Why? Psychiatric medications often cause weight gain. Birth control can cause weight gain. Steroids can cause weight gain. A damaged knee can open the pathway to weight gain and it's hard to stop it.

I do look around the gym when I go and you know what I've noticed? When someone who doesn't already have an ideal body type shows up and starts working out, all the machines around that person go unused, as though others are afraid it's catching.

Weight gain doesn't happen overnight and it's hard to stop or lose weight, especially when the spaces that are supposed to promote health shun you and cost money. Especially when the only things you know how to cook that you can afford are high calorie. Especially when the amount of time left in your day for cooking means you have to throw a frozen meal in and bathe the kids and help with homework while it cooks.

It's not a simple matter. And it's not fixed by what is being proposed in Wisconsin. And taking away money from the poor because the poor in other countries are skinny doesn't fix it.

A bowl of branflakes with skim milk, or a turkey sandwich on whole wheat takes no more time that a frozen meal and is cheaper.

executes are many and cheap.

Also a lot of poor people are obese cause they mash thier butt all day

Timeline

Obesity is only one manifestation of poor nutrition and it is not the only cause.

The content available on a site dedicated to bringing folks to America should not be promoting racial discord, euro-supremacy, discrimination based on religion , exclusion of groups from immigration based on where they were born, disenfranchisement of voters rights based on how they might vote.

horsey-change.jpg?w=336&h=265

Timeline

A bowl of branflakes with skim milk, or a turkey sandwich on whole wheat takes no more time that a frozen meal and is cheaper.

executes are many and cheap.

Also a lot of poor people are obese cause they mash thier butt all day

so at the end of the day, you would be physically and mentally satisfied with a bowl of cereal or a sandwich and nothing more? Or is that just that the poor don't deserve any pleasures in life?

2011: Realized we needed to evaluate our status as friends when we realized we were talking about raising children together.

2011/2012: Decided we were a couple sometime in, but no possibility of being together due to being same sex couple.

June 26, 2013: DOMA overturned. American married couples ALL have the same federal rights at last! We can be a family!

November 13, 2013: Meet in person to see if this could work. It's perfect. We plan to elope to Boston, MA.

March 13, 2014 Married!

October 31, 2014: USCIS ships file to NVC (five days after NOA2) Happy Halloween for us!

March 23, 2015: Case Complete at NVC. (70 days from when they received docs to CC)

Timeline

[source]

The full list of CAN AND CANNOT

Not everything here is entirely stupid, understand, but when you get to the point where a person is only permitted to buy dried beans or brown rice if they buy a 16 oz package (no larger or smaller), regardless of sales or coupons, with their benefits, things have gotten ridiculous. For several reasons. Most of the time I can find a 2 lb package of dried beans for far less per pound than a 1 lb. If I'm buying rice, I usually buy huge bags, because I like rice. They're also mandating ONLY brown rice, which takes twice as long to cook as white rice, but you can't buy frozen varieties of brown rice, so god help you if you have two jobs and not much time.

In addition, you can buy frosted miniwheats cereal, but you can't buy a regular old potato. Potatoes are POWERHOUSES of nutrition, especially if you eat the skin (a great source of fibre). I get most of my potassium from potatoes. They have a TONNE of vitamin C.

And poor people CLEARLY don't deserve cooking spices with which to season the things they're allowed to buy (none of which are seasoned, if you read the full list). They better be eating boring foods with no flavour OR ELSE unless they want frosted mini wheats.

This initiative is not about Potatoes , shrimp, steak , nutrition , the health of the kids the program support or the size of the package. This is not about common sense or you would be able to buy frozen yams and not buy frosted miniwheats

This is about Scott Walker running for president. He needs to burnish his credentials as the proponent of a narrative that people who use any public assistance are in that spot because of their own personal moral failing whether that be drug addiction, mental illness , out of work or just a run of bad luck. He does not care who gets run over by his attempt to grab the whitehouse. You cannot maintain a superior moral position by compromising.

I am praying ever day that Scott Walker wins the Republican nomination for president, that we can put the holier than thou attitude of government on trial and reject it once and for all.

Edited by Rob L

The content available on a site dedicated to bringing folks to America should not be promoting racial discord, euro-supremacy, discrimination based on religion , exclusion of groups from immigration based on where they were born, disenfranchisement of voters rights based on how they might vote.

horsey-change.jpg?w=336&h=265

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I work with many people at my job who are on social assistance due to mental health problems and they are largely all obese.

What kind of job do you have to work with a many people with Mental Health Problems and are fat and are on social assistance?

Timeline

What kind of job do you have to work with a many people with Mental Health Problems and are fat and are on social assistance?

It's an occupational therapy program. I help people with mental health issues who have been out of the work force for long periods of time due to their illnesses to learn how to do the basics of having a job--paying attention to quality of work, learning how to take constructive criticism, following a schedule given to them by someone else, following specific rules, learning the whys and wherefores of safety and also how to do a great many cooking and cleaning tasks. Every single client at my job has a mental health issue and is on medication. Most of them are incredibly active--many of them are avid cyclists or go to the gym often as part of the programs they are following to achieve better mental health, as self care is core of many programs--and actually quite a few of them are very active in healthy eating programs. We run a restaurant (we, the staff, and our clients serve the public) so that the clients can learn to work at one and how to cook, and every single thing we cook is healthy and made from whole ingredients. We even send a lot of food home with each client in order to help them have easy access to inexpensive, healthy foods.

Most of my clients are overweight, some of them by quite a lot. All of them are on social assistance--you MUST be on some kind of social assistance AND have a mental health problem to be a client of our program, as we receive our funding through several mental health programs that are ONLY for people on social assistance.

March 13, 2014 Married!

so at the end of the day, you would be physically and mentally satisfied with a bowl of cereal or a sandwich and nothing more? Or is that just that the poor don't deserve any pleasures in life?

Those choices are just examples. People only deserve the pleasures they can afford. Why should you take from someone like me who works 50 hours a week, to give to someone who does not work, so they can enjoy the same rewards i do for working.

Insanity

Timeline

Those choices are just examples. People only deserve the pleasures they can afford. Why should you take from someone like me who works 50 hours a week, to give to someone who does not work, so they can enjoy the same rewards i do for working.

Insanity

So the clients at my work should have no pleasures in life simply because they're disabled? A person who worked 50 hour weeks for thirty years and then suddenly got downsized and ran out of money after a year of job hunting in a saturated market where no one is hiring 50 year olds doesn't deserve any of the things THEY worked for all their lives? A child whose parents made bad choices should never know a meal better than a turkey sandwich or, okay, let's say eggs and toast? How is setting that child up without any pleasures in life going to set them up for any kind of future successes? Children raised in misery grow up to be miserable.

They can get their butts to work like the rest of us.

No one shoul dbe getting benefits for more than 6 months. It's not supposed to be a lifetime gig.

Right, I'll wave my magic wand and make sure that every single person stops being disabled or injured after six months and I'll wave my other magic wand so that every single working person gets a wage they can afford to live on and that everyone can find a job they can afford to live on within six months of losing their job.

Oh, my magic wands must be in my fantasy pants. The ones that don't exist.

Edited by Not a Tailor

March 13, 2014 Married!

So the clients at my work should have no pleasures in life simply because they're disabled? A person who worked 50 hour weeks for thirty years and then suddenly got downsized and ran out of money after a year of job hunting in a saturated market where no one is hiring 50 year olds doesn't deserve any of the things THEY worked for all their lives? A child whose parents made bad choices should never know a meal better than a turkey sandwich or, okay, let's say eggs and toast? How is setting that child up without any pleasures in life going to set them up for any kind of future successes? Children raised in misery grow up to be miserable.

Right, I'll wave my magic wand and make sure that every single person stops being disabled or injured after six months and I'll wave my other magic wand so that every single working person gets a wage they can afford to live on and that everyone can find a job they can afford to live on within six months of losing their job.

Oh, my magic wands must be in my fantasy pants. The ones that don't exist.

So the only pleasure a person can have is Shrimp and Lobster tails at my expense ?

That's just Hoarse c rap. Best times of my life-- Building forts in the woods, swimming in the creek, playing in old refrigerator boxes.. Money does not buy pleasure and people thinking that poor people need shrimp and lobster to have pleasure is whats got this country so F'ed up.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Insanity

I don't like most members of congress either, but I don't see how not paying them, is going to fix anything.

Oct 19, 2010 I-130 application submitted to US Embassy Seoul, South Korea

Oct 22, 2010 I-130 application approved

Oct 22, 2010 packet 3 received via email

Nov 15, 2010 DS-230 part 1 faxed to US Embassy Seoul

Nov 15, 2010 Appointment for visa interview made on-line

Nov 16, 2010 Confirmation of appointment received via email

Dec 13, 2010 Interview date

Dec 15, 2010 CR-1 received via courier

Mar 29, 2011 POE Detroit Michigan

Feb 15, 2012 Change of address via telephone

Jan 10, 2013 I-751 packet mailed to Vermont Service CenterJan 15, 2013 NOA1

Jan 31, 2013 Biometrics appointment letter received