Trumplestiltskin

This video shows how the life of a white person compares to the life of a black person

42 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

This video shows how the life of a white person compares to the life of a black person

In the wake of the Baltimore protests, Brave New Films has created a video which shows the experiences of a black and a white man going about their days side-by-side.

Using data from a University of Chicago study, it shows that even really controlled tested such as changing the name on a CV to a 'black-sounding' name can make a scarily big difference, making the applicant 50% less likely to get a call back.

The video also dramatises data showing that black people are on average charged $700 more when buying cars and are twice as likely to be pulled over by police.

Black clients are shown 17.7% fewer houses by estate agents, while a ACLU study found that black people are four times more likely to be arrested for smoking marijuana despite use of the drug among blacks and whites being equal.

Perhaps more worryingly still, the video draws attention to racial disparities in health care, with doctors being found in the US to not be informing black patients as often as white patients when they need an important heart procedure.

"If this isn't racism, what is? Racism isn't over," the video concludes.

Link

Edited by Venkman

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks for the vid Venkman. You will have the deniers here pretty soon telling you this is all a lie.

Yes, thank you for explaining that life isn't fair.

Boo freaking Hoo

When I go to Philippines they always charge me more cuz I am White and I pay Kano Prices

BOO FREAKING WOO............

Boo freaking Hoo

When I go to Philippines they always charge me more cuz I am White and I pay Kano Prices

BOO FREAKING WOO..........

They know old, white Republican men have money. Why are you complaining about a few extra bucks?

Timeline

They know old, white Republican men have money. Why are you complaining about a few extra bucks?

I am known as "The International Playboy" aka "American Dream" in the Philippines.............

Timeline

Boo freaking Hoo

Perhaps you should pipe up when you experience this kind of thing in your own country.

Timeline

Perhaps you should pipe up when you experience this kind of thing in your own country.

Happens all the time in USA

White man can't get a job cuz they have quotas and hire based upon race

White student can't get accepted to grad school due to based allowing students in based on race not grades.

Where have you been you whole life? Living under a rock.........

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

At the risk of captioning the obvious, the movie speaks of racism in America, as in 'The United States of'. (hint: not the same country!)

Boo freaking Hoo

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Boo freaking Hoo

i'm sure you'd feel the exact same way if you and your family had been paying more every day of your life, going 3-4 generations back. you'd be all, life isn't fair and this is just my particular lot..here somebody take more of my money! life isn't fair! weeeeeee!!!

Timeline

Happens all the time in USA

White man can't get a job cuz they have quotas and hire based upon race

White student can't get accepted to grad school due to based allowing students in based on race not grades.

Where have you been you whole life? Living under a rock.........

Spurious non specific anecdotes are proof of nothing.

i'm sure you'd feel the exact same way if you and your family had been paying more every day of your life, going 3-4 generations back. you'd be all, life isn't fair and this is just my particular lot..here somebody take more of my money! life isn't fair! weeeeeee!!!

Indeed. Life isn't fair is code for 'I don't give a...'.

1) Then why are the majority of people in jobs making a living wage or better white? Especially white men...

2) My wife is white. She was accepted into MULTIPLE grad schools, in her field, and went with the one where she got a full scholarship. Her lab, one of several at her school in her program, is the most diverse and out of six or seven people, three are still white men, plus their PI. Most other labs in her program are all white men. Walk into a grad school sometime.

This is a simple case of the 'too many women are yapping' conundrum. There have been multiple studies that showed that, in a group of men and women, when the number of women in the room is 30% or when women speak 30% of the time, the men will say that there were too many women, that women were 'dominating' the room or conversation--even though they spoke or made up less than 50% of the conversation or room.

White men, I believe, perceive the same thing happening when it comes to minorities. They're used to being the only people in these positions, the only people applying and the only people speaking, so when they see ANY People of Colour in those positions, applying or speaking, they think they're being pushed out of their birthright.

i don't think there are too many male posters here that will see anything wrong or negative with such phenomenon. i predict someone will come around shortly and demand you make them a sammich. :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

i don't think there are too many male posters here that will see anything wrong or negative with such phenomenon. i predict someone will come around shortly and demand you make them a sammich. :)

Nah, lately I've found they ignore me when I'm right. You should see how carefully everyone avoids acknowledging my points in gay threads. It's sort of amazing.

Met in 2010 on a forum for a mutual interest. Became friends.
2011: Realized we needed to evaluate our status as friends when we realized we were talking about raising children together.

2011/2012: Decided we were a couple sometime in, but no possibility of being together due to being same sex couple.

June 26, 2013: DOMA overturned. American married couples ALL have the same federal rights at last! We can be a family!

June-September, 2013: Discussion about being together begins.

November 13, 2013: Meet in person to see if this could work. It's perfect. We plan to elope to Boston, MA.

March 13, 2014 Married!

May 9, 2014: Petition mailed to USCIS

May 12, 2014: NOA1.
October 27, 2014: NOA2. (5 months, 2 weeks, 1 day after NOA1)
October 31, 2014: USCIS ships file to NVC (five days after NOA2) Happy Halloween for us!

November 18, 2014: NVC receives our case (22 days after NOA2)

December 17, 2014: NVC generates case number (50 days after NOA2)

December 19, 2014: Receive AOS bill, DS-261. Submit DS-261 (52 days after NOA2)

December 20, 2014: Pay AOS Fee

January 7, 2015: Receive, pay IV Fee

January 10, 2015: Complete DS-260

January 11, 2015: Send AOS package and Civil Documents
March 23, 2015: Case Complete at NVC. (70 days from when they received docs to CC)

May 6, 2015: Interview at Montréal APPROVED!

May 11, 2015: Visa in hand! One year less one day from NOA1.