jg121783

Should I hire a lawyer and other questions.

38 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My wife is from Cebu, Phils.

A lawyer is a waste of money. A very good visa company, is a good investment, as they will do everything, and put your packet together, and you can bring it back to the USA. Only a few hundred

dollars, and they do it all! THEY know what the embassy is looking for.

As far as her visiting you in the USA.,...,.,almost impossible. Unless, she is wealthy, owns land, a big bank account..,.,.etc.

If you will study the ""GUIDES" section at the top of the home page, click on K-1 visa.,., and print it out. This will help you so much.,.,.,.,

Spend a lot of time here reading, and learning, and ask a few questions.,..,.,.people will help you.

Right now Filipino's are still being expedited but that could stop any time, then the wait begins.,.,.,.,and probably a long one to get a K-1 approved, get through NVC.,.,.the medical, and interview.,.,.and the CFO counseling for her.

So, you might want to think about moving a little quicker, as this process is going to take quite a bit of time.

I only spent 14 days with my wife, before we filed, but we traveled around almost every day, getting photos.,.,of different land marks to show "I was there."

My only recommendation is .,. move your time line up somewhat, as this process is long, and painful!

BUT.,,.,.,..,well worth it!

Nothing like a good Filipino wife!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

You are aware that you will do the lion share of the work by collecting all the paperwork, and then you they assemble it and fill in the paperwork. It actually rather easy process.

$2,500 sound like a he's pulling your pants down around your ankles....

Actually, that is a pretty standard fee for a lawyer, and even on the low(ish) end from what I heard. It also depends on where you are. I've had a lawyer in California tell me they wanted around that much for a "straightforward" case. I had such a case and far more pleasant way to spend that money...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Unless you have red flags in your case (previous K1 petitions on her side, big age difference, etc) then no need for a lawyer. This site is pretty helpful and clear. Any doubt you can always come here and someone will answer your questions. Believe me, if I could do it with VJ then you can do it too. Just take planning that's all. Besides no one is gonna put more effort than you and lawyers can be very expensive, they will charge you an arm and a leg.

Age difference is not even close to a reason for needing a lawyer. I still do not understand why people insist age difference means an automatic denial, or is proof of a difficult case. My husband and I have some of the biggest so called " red flags" and our process was seemless from start to finish. We did every step on our own, most without visa journey. I am 21 years older, divorced with 2 children, I am Catholic he is Muslim we married on my first visit, from a totally differnt culture and he is from a so called "T" country. We never had an RFE, he was approved quickly and here within 10 months, even with an additional 10 weeks of AP after his interview. He came here, got a great job within months and removed conditions with no RFE or interview. He applies for citizenship in 2 months. As you can see we had about every so called red flag. No lawyer, no reason for a lawyer.

Timeline

A lawyer is a waste of money. A very good visa company, is a good investment, as they will do everything, and put your packet together, and you can bring it back to the USA. Only a few hundred

As far as her visiting you in the USA.,...,.,almost impossible. Unless, she is wealthy, owns land, a big bank account..,.,.etc.

If you will study the ""GUIDES" section at the top of the home page, click on K-1 visa.,., and print it out. This will help you so much.,.,.,.,

Spend a lot of time here reading, and learning, and ask a few questions.,..,.,.people will help you.

Right now Filipino's are still being expedited but that could stop any time, then the wait begins.,.,.,.,and probably a long one to get a K-1 approved, get through NVC.,.,.the medical, and interview.,.,.and the CFO counseling for her.

So, you might want to think about moving a little quicker, as this process is going to take quite a bit of time.

I only spent 14 days with my wife, before we filed, but we traveled around almost every day, getting photos.,.,of different land marks to show "I was there."

My only recommendation is .,. move your time line up somewhat, as this process is long, and painful!

Visa companies can slow the process down significantly and there is no need for one with a straightforward case as long as you are organized, pay attention to detail and follow the very good guides at the top of the page

Timeline

Ok here is another curve ball. I owe some back taxes and just spoke with my tax attorney. I brought this issue up and it turns out he is familiar with the immigration process (his wife is from the Ukraine). He told me that my tax situation might complicate things a bit and i should speak with an immigration attorney. What do you guys think about that? He also mentioned the process for a fiance visa is currently taking 10-12 months but because my girl i is from the Philippines it might go quicker. He also recommended that i get my marijuana possession charge expunged before I apply for a passport.

An immigration attorney knows nothing about taxes or owing back taxes, that's what accountants are for. Just because you have something expunged from you record doesn't mean it's erased from your file, it isn't. And if you feel the need to get it expunged you don't want an immigration lawyer for that they don't specialize or know the first thing about criminal law. You would need a criminal attorney to have it expunged.

Believe me. I would like to move a little quicker but January is likely the soonest I will be able to get enough time off work. I also plan on spending about 14 days there and doing what you described. If I can get the time off work I would like to make that 3 or 4 weeks. I know the process is already long. And it is already painful not being able to visit my girl until January. I can't imagine how much worse it will get as we get further in the process (if we do). It is unfortunate there is no way for her to come over here for a week and get an idea of what it is like here before she makes a decision.

An immigration attorney knows nothing about taxes or owing back taxes, that's what accountants are for. Just because you have something expunged from you record doesn't mean it's erased from your file, it isn't. And if you feel the need to get it expunged you don't want an immigration lawyer for that they don't specialize or know the first thing about criminal law. You would need a criminal attorney to have it expunged.

I never planned on asking an immigration attorney about taxes. That is what I have a tax attorney for. Also who said anything about having an immigration attorney to have the record expunged or any attorney for that matter. It is as simple as me going to the court house and filing the proper paperwork and paying the required fees. No attorney required.

morfunphil1_zpsoja67jml.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline

Just got our approval yesterday after a terrible 216 days! We hired a attorney. Helped so much. I also have two kiddos going with me. Was definitely well worth the money spent! And it was really not that much. I don't know could just be me but with regards to the k2 visa's there's not to much info when it comes to fill out the forms that I know so many ppl seem to think is "nothing". After this terrible 7 months plus wait I tell u id have pooped my pants if it got denied or even if I got a rfe and had to simply wait longer just cause I wanted to prove a point in doing it myself. Money yes don't grow on trees but was worth it! Good luck on ure visit!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline

I do have a marijuana possession charge from when I was younger. It was only a city ordinance violation though and and only a fine and is off my record now so I don't know if that will affect anything or not. She does not have a criminal record but has worked abroad and if I understand correctly she needs police records from the countries she worked in.

hi there! We had a attorney paid less than 1000 for myself and two kids plus my fiancé has a criminal record! Didn't have a problem at all. Email/message me if you'd like his info k

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.