justanea

which is faster/cheaper/easier, fiance or spousal visa (merged)

22 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I've been told that getting married but using some variant of the fiance visa is workable right now? What are my costs, other than her plane ticket from Manila? Is there some sort of "bond $ held in escrow there, until she's a US citizen? Do these fees go to the US or to Phills or where? Thanks

Timeline

My fiance is in phills. I will go there to marry her if there's an advantage to doing so, of course. I need her here ASAP. she's currently a first year nursing student (on my money) Sjhe's 27, I"m 62, US citizen. She's got a 5 year old daughter that will have to remain with grandma for a year, while her mom and I work out where we'll love, etc. Our daughter prefers grandma anything, mom havng been too busy making money. I"m marginal (for a while yet) on having the needed support money for her.

I just came back from Manila, we lived together for 7 weeks, both of our names on the lease., plenty of pics of us togheter with her family, chat, skype, email records, telegram money sent, etc. I need to know the $ amounts for each, cause her current semester ends in Sept, I'd like to have her here shortly after that,before she has to sign up for October classes. I want her here, in January US classes.

Edited by justanea

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

**** Moving from K1 Fiance visa to What Visa do I Need? forum*****

No visa is fast, or cheap, and there is no version of the fiance visa when you are legally married.

The K1 is faster, but is more paperwork and more expensive. The CR-1 spousal visa takes longer, but leads to an immediate greencard upon entry to the USA (thus can work and travel immediately).

Check out our Guides here: http://www.visajourney.com/content/guides for information on costs and paperwork needed.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

For the spousal visa, cr-1, you pay roughly the below:

$425 I-130 petition filing fee

$120 Affidavite of support fee

$325 visa application fee

Green card fee once it's been issued. Think it's around $169.

Plus costs for translations, medical exam, vaccinations, trips etc. The cr-1 visa takes about one year but since your girlfriend is from the Philipinnes, they usually get auto expedited so you might get yours in eight months. Also, since you'll probably will have been married less than two years, you also need to pay an adjustment of status fee.

You have quite the age difference so be prepared for questions about that.

Met online October 2010

Engaged December 31st 2011

heart.gifMarried May 14th 2013 heart.gif

USCIS Stage

September 8th 2014 - Filed I-130 with Nebraska Service Center

September 16th 2014 - NOA1 received

March 2nd 2015 - NOA2 received :dancing:

NVC Stage

March 28th 2015 - Choice of agent complete & AOS fee paid

April 17th 2015 - IV fee paid

May 1st 2015 - Sent in IV application

May 12th 2015 - Sent in AOS and IV documents

May 18th 2015 - Scan Date

June 18th 2015 - Checklist received

June 22nd 2015 - Checklist response sent to NVC

June 25th 2015 - Put for Supervisor Review

Sept 15th 2015 - Request help from Texas US Senator Cornyn and his team

Sept 23rd 2015 - Our case is moved from supervisor review to NVC's team for dealing with Senator requests

Nov 4th 2015 - CASE COMPLETE!!!! :dancing:

Embassy Stage

Dec 16th 2015 - Medical exam

Dec 21st 2015 - Interview

Dec 21st 2015 - 221(g) issued at interview for updated forms

Jan 13th 2016 - Mailed our reply to the 221(g) to the US Embassy, received and CEAC updated the next morning

Jan 20th 2016 - Embassy require more in-depth info on asset for i-864

Feb 1st 2016 - Sent more in-depth info on assets as requested. Received the next morning

Feb 16th 2016 - Visa has been issued :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

In the US

April 5th 2016 - POE Newark. No questions asked.

April 14th 2016 - SSN received

May 10th 2016 - First day at my new job :dancing:

May 27th 2016 - Green Card received

June 7th 2016 - Got my Texas driver's license

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

http://www.visajourney.com/content/compare

http://www.visajourney.com/content/guides

Here are some links. Probably best to read up and you and your fiancee make the decision between the two of you what is best for your particular situation. There are pros and cons to both types

Best of Luck

The fiance visa is fastest at roughly 5-6 months, but you will spend more money at the back end when she gets here to the USA. You will then have to file for her AOS paperwork which is $1070 right off the bat.

Edited by cyberfx1024

You can also study the timeline data users provide on VJ to get an idea of the average times: http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

In the world of US immigration, however, you just cannot guarantee how long anything will take so it's best to never have hard deadlines for other life events if you can help it - always have a plan b (like, signing up for classes in 2016, instead of 2015, for instance).

Given that it's already May and you have yet to file anything at all, she's not going to make it here by September 2015. It'll likely be the end of this year / start of next. But, if you get your ducks in a row and file that I-129f for K1 *tomorrow* then you never know. The spousal option is going to mean you're going to have to make another trip for the marriage (so added time).

Roughly:

K1 is faster (usually) but more expensive overall (by $1040 or whatever AOS costs these days).

CR-1 is slightly longer, but cheaper (immediately GC, so no AOS), but you'll have to travel first to marry (so the cost, depending on how much you spend to travel to get married may be equivalent).

Neither is "easier".

Edited by lost_at_sea

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

My fiance is in phills. I will go there to marry her if there's an advantage to doing so, of course. I need her here ASAP. she's currently a first year nursing student (on my money) Sjhe's 27, I"m 62, US citizen. She's got a 5 year old daughter that will have to remain with grandma for a year, while her mom and I work out where we'll love, etc. Our daughter prefers grandma anything, mom havng been too busy making money. I"m marginal (for a while yet) on having the needed support money for her.

I just came back from Manila, we lived together for 7 weeks, both of our names on the lease., plenty of pics of us togheter with her family, chat, skype, email records, telegram money sent, etc. I need to know the $ amounts for each, cause her current semester ends in Sept, I'd like to have her here shortly after that,before she has to sign up for October classes. I want her here, in January US classes.

Fastest - K-1 visa.

Cheapest - IR/CR-1 visa

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

justanea,

Always read Hank's posts, as he is an expert about the Philippines. CR-1, getting married in the Philippines, I personally would not do. My wife is from Cebu, and she came here on a K-1 visa.

IF something happens the marriage does not work out, there is no such thing as divorce in the Phils. You and her would have to go back to the USA, or China requires a 1 year residence before you can file there (got a friend going thru that there) so I would not consider a marriage in the Philippines. Me and my wife had a huge engagement party there.,.,.,and it was great.

Seeing where you live, you will be sent to CSC, and Filipinos are still on expedite there, I think. Just this past December, my friend filed Nov. 22, and had his NOA 2 Dec. 26.!!!!

Yes, the Phils. is fast especially from CSC service center.

K-1 is maybe 3-6 months, and CR-1 is 12 to 14 months, sometimes more. And to me, too much is made of the AOS procedure after the K-1 marriage, but if your paper work is all good, we did not

even have an interview. It is nothing. YES, K-1 is a little more expensive, but well worth it.

It would seem you are very new to this site, I would read and memorize the Guides on top of the "Home Page" on what ever visa you choose, and what the requirements are, print them out, and do each thing, and then double and triple check, and keep two copies of everything you send in a ""very sturdy" envelope to the Texas Lockbox (where all petitions go, then are forwarded to service centers.

IF no problems you could have your bride in the USA is 5-6 months after filing a K-1.,.,.,.,.CR-1 over a year .,..,.,.,but this is just a guess, of reading past petition approvals.

Good luck, and log on here more often, and read and study!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.