Sousuke

The term thug

46 posts in this topic

You trying to have lost entertain a mildly complex concept? :rofl:

Surely, you know better.

ha. yeah, sorry i've been holding that in all week. i've only seen that stupid thing posted about 500 times. typical conservative meme, embarrassingly inept.

Thug is an apt description for people who riot and destroy another's property. Whether or not they THINK they have a reason. It's simply illegal activity, and they should be arrested like any other criminal.

Thug is also a more family-friendly description than might otherwise be used...

https://www.facebook.com/ModernRevolution/videos/891070754284593/

Edited by DavenRoxy

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Thug is an apt description for people who riot and destroy another's property. Whether or not they THINK they have a reason. It's simply illegal activity, and they should be arrested like any other criminal.

Have you ever tried to understand someone else's perspective without rendering an automatic judgment? It's worth giving it a go.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/19/us/new-hampshire-pumpkin-festival-riot/

No one was calling these kids thugs. I wonder why that was? No one here was locking up their cars or homes when these "thugs" tore through the city, not because someone was killed, but over a freaking sport? And yet when this was posted on here,

they weren't called thugs.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Filed: Timeline

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/19/us/new-hampshire-pumpkin-festival-riot/

No one was calling these kids thugs. I wonder why that was? No one here was locking up their cars or homes when these "thugs" tore through the city, not because someone was killed, but over a freaking sport? And yet when this was posted on here, they weren't called thugs.

That was a pigmentally challenged crowd. Makes a huge difference. In this case, we just saw kids being kids.

That was a pigmentally challenged crowd. Makes a huge difference. In this case, we just saw kids being kids.

Thug has become the N-word by proxy. There is such a strong call to label folks this. It's like teens committing criminal acts isn't enough, they HAVE to be called thugs.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Thug has become the N-word by proxy. There is such a strong call to label folks this. It's like teens committing criminal acts isn't enough, they HAVE to be called thugs.

Dehumanizing is important. It's one of the essential pillars of how the Nazis pulled off the Holocaust.

Dehumanizing is important. It's one of the essential pillars of how the Nazis pulled off the Holocaust.

Very. This is why more people are pissed at property damage vs Freddy Gray's death.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Sorry, I started this thread and then disappeared.

I always saw the term 'thug' as a gang member hired to do the dirty work. In terms of stereotypes, I saw it as going from an italian american mobster in the 20s and 30s to inner city black youth in gangs of the 90s and 2000s.

So when I hear someone is a 'thug' I do assume a black gang member. I don't think the rioters are thugs by that definition.

Edited by Sousuke

1d35bdb6477b38fedf8f1ad2b4c743ea.jpg

I always saw the term 'thug' as a gang member hired to do the dirty work. In terms of stereotypes, I saw it as going from an italian american mobster in the 20s and 30s to inner city black youth in gangs of the 90s and 2000s.

So when I here someone is a 'thug' I do assume a black gang member. I don't think the rioters are thugs by that definition.

This is true, but thug has become a moniker for any black person that is perceived to be doing wrong. The 52 year old grandfather almost beat to death by the cops about 3 weeks ago was called a thug.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

So when I hear someone is a 'thug' I do assume a black gang member. I don't think the rioters are thugs by that definition.

I agree.

I don't associate the word thug with blacks. A thug is a thug, someone who is a two bit criminal, likes to act like a jack off tough guy, intimidate people, rob them, assault them, etc, etc. There are plenty of white thugs too.

I can't figure out how all those racist white people came to associate that word with blacks (No slight to Paca, i am a big fan )

tumblr_m8xl4pwc431rr40iuo1_500.jpg

I can't figure out how all those racist white people came to associate that word with blacks (No slight to Paca, i am a big fan )

tumblr_m8xl4pwc431rr40iuo1_500.jpg

If you say thug, black isn't the first thing that comes to my mind. The pumpkin rioters were delinquents in my mind. A hit man is a thug. A leg breaker is a thug. I don't get why it means someone black. I guess I'm just old and out of touch.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015