Argounova

Is this process legal and practical?

44 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

I'm not terribly familiar with student visas, but in learning about immigration issues while finding my way to the K-1 option to bring my fiance here, I did notice that some classes of student visas require the student to spend a certain amount of time in their home county before they can obtain other classes of visas, such as a K-1. Please investigate this fully and completely to be sure you're not complicating things for yourself later on.

My recommendation would be to focus on school first and foremost. Being in a binational relationship is hard, but if the relationship is strong, it's manageable. You can both visit each other as time allows, completely legally, and you'll probably save a lot of money on tuition as well. If things continue to work well for you and your boyfriend, consider more permanent options later, but for now, let school come first. If your relationship is going to last, it'll be there when you're done with school.

09/06/2013: Along Came a Relationship

04/16/2014: When Darren Met Harel (in person for the first time)

08/14/2014: The Proposal (but in Mexico, not Alaska)

02/27/2015: Flight of the Application

03/03/2015: Reception (Christopher NOA1an's latest masterpiece)

09/25/2015: 205 Days Later (NOA2)

05/11/20116: Engagement ended for familial reasons

Wait to get the student visa and if in the end your relationship works out, marry, and adjust your status. A student visa is simple to get!

If we knew the work involved in going through the K1 process we would have married and then adjusted while I was still a student. However, I didn't come to the U.S. with the intention to marry, I only met my husband in my 3rd year of school.

Edited by lmihler

http://canada.usembassy.gov/mobile/visas/visas/student-and-exchange-visas.html

I am really confused by the info on this page. It seems to start by talking about Canadian citizens and finish with other nationals. Can someone explain it as it applies to my situation?

You need to apply and be accepted to the University or College of choice before you enter the USA. that is the form I-20. http://studyinthestates.dhs.gov/2013/01/what-is-the-form-i-20

Check and see if the school you want to go to qualifies first. http://studyinthestates.dhs.gov/school-search

IN the end you need this BEFORE you go down to school in the USA:

Studying in the USA

For general information on visa categories and requirements, please consult our overview.

Canadian Citizens do not need visas to study in the U.S. You do need to obtain an I-20 (or DS-2019) Certificate of Eligibility from the university that you plan to attend.

At the time you receive the I-20 (or DS-2019) you will be registered with SEVIS, the student tracking system. You will be assigned a SEVIS number, and be required to pay a registration fee (see below).

When you cross the border to study you will need to provide the Officer at the port of entry:

• Proof of identity and citizenship (a Canadian passport for example)
  • The original I-20 (or DS-2019) certificate
  • Proof that you have paid your SEVIS fee
  • Proof that you have the funds to pay for the school that you plan to attend
  • Proof of your ties to Canada

You will need proof of ties to Canada and that you can afford to attend school. That includes living expenses for the year. No you cannot rely on your boyfriend.

Like I also said, make sure you can afford this school.

For example the price difference between a undergraduate degree at University of Colorado for resident and non-resident is significant. You do not qualify for in-state or resident tuition.

http://www.ucdenver.edu/student-services/resources/CostsAndFinancing/tuition/costs/Documents/2014-2015%20COA/Denver%20Undergrad/CU%20Denver%20Undergraduate%20Resident%202014-15%20COA.pdf

http://www.ucdenver.edu/student-services/resources/CostsAndFinancing/tuition/costs/Documents/2014-2015%20COA/Denver%20Undergrad/CU%20Denver%20Undergraduate%20Non-resident%202014-15%20COA.pdf

It's a difference of about $15000.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

Unfortunately my GPA prohibits this option.

Then no offense but what makes you think you'll get accepted in a US school? I'm not sure if you're going for a graduate or undergraduate degree, but, aside from the cost of attending, any decent school in the US is very, very competitive.

I think the average University and College is not competitive. I don't think the OP is trying to attend Yale or MIT.

My major in college was VERY competitive to attend but that doesn't mean that it was a top notch college, just that the program was rare, enough people wanted to do it, and the class size was very small (10 people per major, with 4 majors in the department.)

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Thank you all for your replies. We are considering our options such as obtaining government or private funding on my end, or just sucking it up and getting married. As for getting into an American school, NLR has it right -- I'll be applying for open enrolment community colleges. I'm 24 and would actually be dropping out of school if I didn't plan to go to the States, so focusing on/continuing my education is more of the bonus here.

Wow.. I am amazed nobody is jumping to claim IMMIGRATION FRAUD!!! on this thread where clearly the OP is stating he is coming to stay.

With a F visa...nothing fradulent there...the surrounding situation is what makes it tricky

Timeline

Thank you all for your replies. We are considering our options such as obtaining government or private funding on my end, or just sucking it up and getting married. As for getting into an American school, NLR has it right -- I'll be applying for open enrolment community colleges. I'm 24 and would actually be dropping out of school if I didn't plan to go to the States, so focusing on/continuing my education is more of the bonus here.

Marriage is never something to "suck it up" and do. Wrong attitude. So if you were going to drop out what makes you think that you will stick with the plan? As well I'm not entirely sure that government funding is available to international students. If you got married you would not be able to access state tuition possibly until you receive your greencard, which would likely be two years. One year for a k1 visa then another for your greencard. It's fraud to visit with the intentions of marrying and staying/adjusting

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

A Canadian may get student status, pretty sure anybody else looking for a student visa in this situation would have real trouble.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

When I refer to government funding, I mean from my own government, which is available to students studying in Canada or anywhere in the world.

Providing that the school that accepts you is an approved school by the government. You say you're already in debt, are you sure they'd lend you further?

Are there job openings in your field in the USA? ie: is it a lucrative degree worth chasing?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.