PurplePassion

Starting fresh in usa

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Im Planning ahead going back to usa. I have been living out of country for nearly 2 1/2 years wiht my spouse. When I move back I do not want to live in the old state where I used to live or any where near my family. (hint: they arent the best people to be around) Im looking for a safe area (Ofc everyone is) good employeement rate (I had a few jobs before I left usa but nothing fancy and havent worked in nearly 3 years) good school areas and AFORDABLE LİVİNG! Ive been seeing homes for rent nearly 1000 dollars at diff areas and Im like WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT Im use to that 400 dollar a month type deal :D Not freezing cold where you cant even start your car.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline

Well, Wisconsin is safe, especially Door County and you can find good deals on rent also, between two people you should be good!

It kida gets cold during the winter though but inve you are here, it feels like home:(

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline

Not if you can heat with wood:) If you want a change, Wisconsin can be one for sure, Door County has such wonderful people, I was shocked! And for sure on this life you better see snow...up here, you can try snowmobiling on the parks and even on the lake after it freezes in the winter! Ice shoves of 40 ft. On the water, I bet you don't see that everyday! You should at least plan a trip!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Non-Panhandle Texas.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Well, I am looking at the same things as you and have picked out North East Florida. Florida is rapidly growing, no income tax, no VAT on groceries. I am not leaving Sweden to move to the Midwest, that's for sure. lol

Married 2001, conditional resident 2003, permanent resident 2005.Left U.S 2012, abandoned green card 2013.Applied I-130 Nov 2014, approved Dec 2014. DS260 13th Apr 2015. Docs sent 27 Apr. Scan date May 1. Case complete June 4!Interview July 14th, rescheduled to Oct 20th.  Applied for N400 on November 6th, 2018. I'm the immigrant :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

I love Oregon. Peaceful and good jobs market. No sale tax but high income tax. House prices r not too high.

where can you rent a house for $400 per month?

North Georgia, Carolinas etc. ours is only $550 per month for a 3 bedroom 2 bathroom and 5 acres.. You can find cheaper houses around here too. Most are around $700-$800 per month, but it's definitely possible to find houses for that much.

Georgia is good... But depending on where you are from is that too close to family? What about moving 8 hours away from where you used to live? Still South, but hopefully far enough family won't mess with you. Or twelve hours...

Also remember if rent is higher, then employment wages in the area are possibly higher so look at jobs and employment offers whre you are looking at moving. It may even out...maybe. Good luck.

IR1 - Spouse VisaPetition I-130

Posted from Australia 05/24/2014

Email receipt received 06/09/2014

Paid from Bank 06/09/2014

Approved online update on case status 06/20/2014

Received NOA1 in the post 06/22/2014

NOA2 received in post 07/10/2014

NVC

Email from NVC 8/7/2014

AoS ready for paymentDS-261 submitted 8/8/2014

AoS Fee Paid 8/12/2014

AoS and IV scan date 10/25/2014

Checklist: 12/18/2014

Posted updated packet for checklist on 2/25/2015

Received by NVC 3/2/2015

Case Complete: 3/2/2015

Interview: 4/21/2015

Approved: 4/21/2014

POE: 6/2/2015<p>

Filed: Timeline

Non-Panhandle Texas.

I was considering houston texas but still have to do a little more research about it. I seen that they have not high tax rate. but It would be way to hot during summers I would assume.

I love Oregon. Peaceful and good jobs market. No sale tax but high income tax. House prices r not too high.

Oregon is good also. what areas around oregon that have low housing. My spouse actually offered oregon and texas as first 2 options

North Georgia, Carolinas etc. ours is only $550 per month for a 3 bedroom 2 bathroom and 5 acres.. You can find cheaper houses around here too. Most are around $700-$800 per month, but it's definitely possible to find houses for that much.

Georgia is good... But depending on where you are from is that too close to family? What about moving 8 hours away from where you used to live? Still South, but hopefully far enough family won't mess with you. Or twelve hours...

Also remember if rent is higher, then employment wages in the area are possibly higher so look at jobs and employment offers whre you are looking at moving. It may even out...maybe. Good luck.

yea georgia and carolina,s area. 12 hours isnt enough for me. :D maybe 2 states would be.

Edited by PurplePassion

You should probably consider other costs besides rent too, some places have good public transport, so you can get away with not having to drive very much, given the cost of health insurance, maybe consider which state offers the best programs in case your future employer does not provide great work plans.

My husband is originally from Chicago, and he moved away because of the weather, his parents told us that in one winter, they had 18 feet of snow cumulatively, that's a lot of snow to shovel in just a few months!

Good luck!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

We are moving from Andalucia, Spain to San Antonio, Texas. Affordable, good job market, bilingual, good schools in the north part of the city and the weather is similar to southern spain.

Our rent for a 2 bedroom large apartment with water, sewer, trash in that rent was about $560/month. Electric was anywhere from $35 when no AC/heat seasons to $170 in coldest winter season.

We own a 2 bedroom home now. Our mortgage is $460/month and utilities can go as high as $240 in the coldest weather.

Generally, East Tennessee doesnt have harsh winters, although it can get pretty cold in January and February, lows in single digits a few days. Summers are not unbearably hot, 80s and 90s for highs. Employment I guess is moderate. Cost of living is low. No state tax here. Generally safe.

Edited by JoBri

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.