34 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

We just showed a U.S. Bank Account with 3x the amount ( about $55-60k). They were fine with that.

Did you have to show how long the money had been in the account or it was enough to just show the balance?

Met online October 2010

Engaged December 31st 2011

heart.gifMarried May 14th 2013 heart.gif

USCIS Stage

September 8th 2014 - Filed I-130 with Nebraska Service Center

September 16th 2014 - NOA1 received

March 2nd 2015 - NOA2 received :dancing:

NVC Stage

March 28th 2015 - Choice of agent complete & AOS fee paid

April 17th 2015 - IV fee paid

May 1st 2015 - Sent in IV application

May 12th 2015 - Sent in AOS and IV documents

May 18th 2015 - Scan Date

June 18th 2015 - Checklist received

June 22nd 2015 - Checklist response sent to NVC

June 25th 2015 - Put for Supervisor Review

Sept 15th 2015 - Request help from Texas US Senator Cornyn and his team

Sept 23rd 2015 - Our case is moved from supervisor review to NVC's team for dealing with Senator requests

Nov 4th 2015 - CASE COMPLETE!!!! :dancing:

Embassy Stage

Dec 16th 2015 - Medical exam

Dec 21st 2015 - Interview

Dec 21st 2015 - 221(g) issued at interview for updated forms

Jan 13th 2016 - Mailed our reply to the 221(g) to the US Embassy, received and CEAC updated the next morning

Jan 20th 2016 - Embassy require more in-depth info on asset for i-864

Feb 1st 2016 - Sent more in-depth info on assets as requested. Received the next morning

Feb 16th 2016 - Visa has been issued :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

In the US

April 5th 2016 - POE Newark. No questions asked.

April 14th 2016 - SSN received

May 10th 2016 - First day at my new job :dancing:

May 27th 2016 - Green Card received

June 7th 2016 - Got my Texas driver's license

Timeline

What gets me more than anything is that the joint sponsor is my husband's family. I'm brought up with "anything for family". In my family, you always support and stand up for each other, whatever it is and whatever it takes.

Luckily, my husband was telling his best friend about this whole incident and his friend has now offered to be our joint sponsor. ? We're still gonna try with assets so we don't loose too much time but if we need a joint sponsor for the interview, we got a new one.

God I hate this visa journey. I wouldn't wish for my worst enemy to have to go through a US immigration visa...

Met online October 2010

USCIS Stage

NVC Stage

Sept 23rd 2015 - Our case is moved from supervisor review to NVC's team for dealing with Senator requests

Embassy Stage

Jan 13th 2016 - Mailed our reply to the 221(g) to the US Embassy, received and CEAC updated the next morning

Feb 1st 2016 - Sent more in-depth info on assets as requested. Received the next morning

Feb 16th 2016 - Visa has been issued :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

In the US

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

Hi-we had a lot of problems with worries in assets, etc. and did the same. Our joint sponsor was not really a friend but acquaintance. A couple months before they started to not reply and were slow with their info. We did end up offering them a substantial amount (we phrased it as a sort of cushion or safety for them). It actually brought us to a sort of hell as they not only got the money in forms of a down payment and payments but ended up using it as any way to take advantage for not only them but their extended family. After doing this, we found that a co worker would have easily been a sponsor and for much less then what we ended with doing. I am also sure we could have trusted this person more but never thought to ask.

I don't have experience with not having the joint sponsor but am informed that you should be fine with your assets equal to the 3x amount. To have the money in the US is important on that front. Hope any of this can help you just by our experience. It's done now and still glad and the person has been paid for the help; no longer hear from them. Good luck with everything.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

The worst thing is that I have a job offer for a full-time position once I enter the US but we're not even allowed to count that. How stupid is that?!

Come back first problem solved.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

I know this is worrying but if you fit the formula it should be fine. I went ahead to the US and got a job there a year and a half ago while my husband stayed behind. I would use DCF first and just use assets in hindsight in a heartbeat. I will say though that my job turned out to be just on the border of being enough here in America (we have 2 teenagers.......) and we own our home outright. I was told by the lawyer this was more then enough however we used the joint sponsor.

Everything here after the black and white is judgement. You can have the house as an asset within the rules but in the end it's up to the officer if it can be counted. My job that I have had here over a year had been waiting for my husband to come-they have many positions open and they had much contact with him as he was my phone contact for any calls off of work that I need from them. This could not be admitted nor counted but my lawyer advised that anything can be an extra help in the judgement of the official. When asked about my employment here, my husband explained what I did and how we planned only to work together with my employer already offering work. While this is not officially accepted, it was noted. They were very kind and understanding. They are people too. Never hurts to add.

Timeline

This could not be admitted nor counted but my lawyer advised that anything can be an extra help in the judgement of the official. When asked about my employment here, my husband explained what I did and how we planned only to work together with my employer already offering work. While this is not officially accepted, it was noted. They were very kind and understanding. They are people too. Never hurts to add.

Thank you for the tip. I will definitely be adding my job offer to our documents.

Met online October 2010

USCIS Stage

NVC Stage

Embassy Stage

In the US

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

**Post violating the below quoted provision of the TOS removed.**

By way of example, and not as a limitation, you agree that when using the Service, you will not:
  • Attempt to bypass the Forums language filter through the use of alternative characters to spell profanities or through the posting of images containing profanity.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Yes, they will want a history to make sure you didn't simply open a quick account with money that you may have borrowed from someone. In the past we have seen people borrow money from family members and put it in an account to make look like they have cash assets. Make sure you have proof it's your money that's been there awhile.

Did you have to show how long the money had been in the account or it was enough to just show the balance?

Yes, they will want a history to make sure you didn't simply open a quick account with money that you may have borrowed from someone. In the past we have seen people borrow money from family members and put it in an account to make look like they have cash assets and then denied for misrepresentation.Make sure you have proof it's your money that's been there awhile. Edited by mimolicious

Thank you for the tip. I will definitely be adding my job offer to our documents.

Suggestion:

Move ahead of your wife and start the job.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

I wanted to add from experience one thing. Only you know all your assets, etc and how they really balance. We were unsure so we bought the house in america, found a job, etc. It took my husband a very, very long 16 months to go through the entire process while in Italy. DCF is much faster (again check with the embassy you are at in your country) and you are allowed to be with your spouse. With our choice we lost a large portion of our savings being in two separate households for that amount of time. Looking back, we had more then enough in our savings to be approved with that alone. The choice is yours on this and its worth it in the end to even go to american ahead but there are ways to go through DCF on what you have successfully. It seems black and white but it's not. My husband had a very decent job for us to be able to wait out the few months to see if we were approved that way first and I had my residency as did the kids. After a year in limbo, my husband lost many hours and status in his job while waiting for some decision and dates here (the normal process) so we were paying taxes on two different countries as well. We didnt even need a joint sponsor easily until after almost a year of this process dragging. We may not have been approved in DCF but we would have been together and we would know where we stand. Then again we may have (something I do regret).

This is a difficult process no matter what and really my heart goes out to you with the decision. Only passing one of many different experiences here. Hope it helps something.

Timeline

Hi-we had a lot of problems with worries in assets, etc. and did the same. Our joint sponsor was not really a friend but acquaintance. A couple months before they started to not reply and were slow with their info. We did end up offering them a substantial amount (we phrased it as a sort of cushion or safety for them). It actually brought us to a sort of hell as they not only got the money in forms of a down payment and payments but ended up using it as any way to take advantage for not only them but their extended family. After doing this, we found that a co worker would have easily been a sponsor and for much less then what we ended with doing. I am also sure we could have trusted this person more but never thought to ask.

I don't have experience with not having the joint sponsor but am informed that you should be fine with your assets equal to the 3x amount. To have the money in the US is important on that front. Hope any of this can help you just by our experience. It's done now and still glad and the person has been paid for the help; no longer hear from them. Good luck with everything.

Wow, that is a horrible story. ? We actually offered to open a joint bank account with our joint sponsor, so there would be money as some kind of safety deposit but she didn't want that, she was affraid the government would see it as a bribe... ? Glad we didn't do that now after hearing your story.

What gets me though is that when we, spouses of an American citizen, go through the immigration processes, there has to be all these financial resources and sponsors etc. But someone who wins the green card lottery, and hence have no ties to the US, don't need any sponsor or much of financial resources at all. How is that fair?

Edited by mallafri76

Met online October 2010

USCIS Stage

NVC Stage

Embassy Stage

In the US

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Now that is a good question.

Married 2001, conditional resident 2003, permanent resident 2005.Left U.S 2012, abandoned green card 2013.Applied I-130 Nov 2014, approved Dec 2014. DS260 13th Apr 2015. Docs sent 27 Apr. Scan date May 1. Case complete June 4!Interview July 14th, rescheduled to Oct 20th.  Applied for N400 on November 6th, 2018. I'm the immigrant :)

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Non-contributory post removed. Please constructively post, or do not post.~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Timeline

I researched the Lottery last year for a family member of my husband's. From all I obtained, there are a lot of rules with the lottery. There are even small percentages allowed based on the country (depending how many have been admitted yearly per country that can be found on the website with the forms). There needs to have been a structured amount of time with a salary at the job in their country as well before they can be approved. It's a very difficult process with an extremely small number per year being admitted.

There are many laws that have been put forth this past year in America pushing back the process time for spousal green cards and it can be frustrating. But any person going through the process on any visa has a very difficult time and no case is the same for sure.

It's going to be some time to do this but it gets done and then you can be with your spouse with your life here. DCF is very viable for anyone being married in another country. Very few filing DCF have a job already set up for obvious reasons. My taxes had not been filed for over two years because I made no income but you can explain that as well in the DCF process. Domicile is the most difficult but if you have family or a friend, it can help a lot. If you look into this form of filing on this site you can see many whom have been worried with the same situation but have been successful. Either way, it's best to begin the process you choose and accept that it has to be done if it's your goal. This will be a difficult time irregardless. Assess how much your joint sponsor meant to your case and go from there. The faster you begin this, the faster it can be done.

Good luck with everything.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.