e&z

KY drivers

38 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Wow, had NO idea so many laws for different states, with driving licenses. Would seem that USCIS would have some sort of agreement on drivers licenses, nation wide, would stop a lot of this

guessing, and speculation.

Filed: Timeline

If you have immigrated and are living in Kentucky then I would guess that makes you a permanent resident. Tough one to explain to the local police when/if you get pulled over. It's certainly a grey area but this was taken from the same site...

• Persons moving into Kentucky have 30 days to obtain a Kentucky driver's license.
  • To obtain a Kentucky Driver License you must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident of this country.

You dont have to be US citizen or Permanet resident in order to get driving License, If have student visa, Refugee or Asylee, Permanent resident, or have a word permit you can obtain a Driving license .

Been living in Louisville,KY for 5 years.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Actually the 1 year should be in all states Geneva Convention

About foreign driving licence

Tourists may drive in the US for up to a year with a foreign driving licence, provided the issuing country is party to the 1949 Geneva Convention on Road Traffic (see art. 1 and art. 25 para. 1) or to the Convention on the Regulation of Inter-American Automotive Traffic (Washington, 1943); most countries are contracting parties. If your licence wasn’t issued by a country which is a contracting party to either of these conventions or if you intend to work or study in the US, you must obtain a driving licence (usually within 30 to 90 days) in the state where you land or where you’re a resident. This may result in the confiscation of your foreign or existing licence (or your American licence may be stamped ‘valid in state only’). You may need an American licence in order to obtain car insurance.

The same law SHOULD apply to K1.

Indiana... Just an FYI you need it translated, and it has to be on a letter head, with certification and something stating they are not related to you ONE PAGE ONLY. They will only issue an ID with the initial I-94 expiration date. Then they will issue one that is good until you your green card date... I'm not 100% on this date (Or Drivers license)

February 4, 2014: I-129f sent

February 11, 2014: I-129f delivered

February 14, 2014: NOA1 received via email/text

February 18, 2014: NOA1 received in mail (dated 2/11)

February 19, 2014: Alien Registration Number changed

May 28, 2014: RFE issued

May 30, 2014: Text/ email that RFE was issued

June 2, 2014: RFE hardcopy received

June 3, 2014: RFE reply sent

June 4, 2014: RFE reply Received

June 10, 2014: NOA 2 (Text)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

K1 are not visitors.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

You dont have to be US citizen or Permanet resident in order to get driving License, If have student visa, Refugee or Asylee, Permanent resident, or have a word permit you can obtain a Driving license .

Been living in Louisville,KY for 5 years.

Yes, maybe you have but that doesn't change the fact that in the OP's first post he stated that you,(meaning everyone, he didn't mention K1 visa holders) can drive up to a year on a foreign license. I know that as soon as I enter and live in Nevada with my CR1 visa, that makes me a permanent resident, therefore I have 30 days of driving on my UK license then I must apply for a Nevada license.

As for other visa holders (and States) I really don't know BUT it seems to me that you MUST have an address that you call home in the State that you apply for a license ie be a resident of that State no matter what visa you have, and you have to prove that to the DMV.

Is it really worth the risk? Will your insurance try to wriggle out of any claims if they can find a loophole? The OP has done his research for his visa and State and is happy...all I'm saying is do your own research for YOUR visa and State to avoid this... "Yes officer but I read it on a message board so it must be true..."

I've ran into funny things with the OH drivers licence, too. It's got a red banner across it saying 'Non renewable non-transferable', and that the only way to actually remove it is to have a green card. After discussing it with someone at the BMV, seemingly any immigration document with my permanent address on ti will work - EAD, I-797, even the Interview waiver letter. Only condition it was is that same red banner which will prevent me turning it into another state's licence, but that can be removed upon getting a green card.

AOS:

NOA: June 16th, 2014

NPIW: September 29th, 2014

Received Green Card: June 13th, 2015.

RoC: 

California Service Center

Submitted: March 22nd, 2017

Completed: October 5th, 2018

N-400:

Submitted: December 11th, 2019

Biometrics: December 31st, 2019

Interview: April 22nd, 2020

Interview descheduled and now waiting for further updates...

Filed: Timeline

so we have to be living in a state to apply for it? My spouse read somewhere that we can apply from outside the country for a temp. 30 days but not sure how to do that

so we have to be living in a state to apply for it? My spouse read somewhere that we can apply from outside the country for a temp. 30 days but not sure how to do that

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Update- We have purchased a car and it is insured no issue.

When we were both purchasing and insuring the car they confirmed that it is perfectly legal to drive in KY with an English driver's licence for a year if you are a non us citizen, even if you are living in KY.

Of course I am planning on getting my US drivers licence in due course but this takes off the pressure and means I can get used to the roads etc in the meantime.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.