Seafarer

Need to change embassy and I-129f filed a week ago

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Apologies if this topic has been discussed but my exhaustive forum search hasn't been successful so I thought prudent to just ask directly to the VJ veterans who are so gracious with their experience and knowledge. I chose this forum with a hunch that perhaps, this situation has occurred several times before with domestic helpers.

I filed my I-129f a week ago and overnighted it to Texas but to date, have not received my NOA. I expect to shortly. However, a wrench was thrown into the procedure this morning when I was informed by my fiancee that on June 1, she will be leaving Hong Kong, her current address of three years (nanny) and will likely end up back in Manila with family members. Unfortunately, her employer's husband passed away and his caretaker is being retained (two year contract) while my fiancee's will be prematurely ended, since the wife knows of her K1 process and her eventual departure. Financially, it's a logical decision for the employer but administratively, a curve ball to us since my fiancee was originally told she would be retained until her K1 approval.

Since this process is in such an early stage, what is the procedure for updating the embassy (line 34a/b on the I-129f) associated with my application so it is forwarded to the correct country? We will need to change that from Hong Kong to Manila.

I don't have a receipt notice or receipt number (as stated above) so is this something that can be done with a phone call or online submission? Also, since her address is now going to be different, does this require a new G-325a form with her new address in Manila or is that form change unnecessary since at the time of its submission, she was/is still in Hong Kong at the last known address?

Thanks for your help and guidance!

Edited by Seafarer

"Distance extinguishes little passions yet intensifies great ones."

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

Once you get a receipt number, request to speak to Tier 2 rep and advise him of situation. He will be able to put request to change the embassy location. It takes about 2-3 weeks. If they say no, call again and speak to someone else. I had it done and within 2 weeks they sent me an official e-mail (unfortunately, I requested mine after 6 months of waiting and file was already on the way to NVC, but you have plenty of time).

:luv:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kuwait
Timeline

You can also do it at NVC stage. A friend of mine did that but that was CR1 visa. NVC would also be better because there you can talk to live people who have ability to make changes.

Timeline

Thanks for the quick replies! Now, she is telling me instead of June 1 as her departure, her employer MIGHT keep her there until Aug 1. With that in mind, I am curious as to the odds of the Hong Kong embassy getting her packet before Aug 1? If that is a possibility, might it be more prudent to simply go the embassy in person and have them transfer the pkg to Manila or should I just go ahead and try to contact a Tier 2 rep once I get a receipt number if there is no way it's going to get to HK in three months. I'm just starting to wrap my head around understanding the timelines.

Edited by Seafarer

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Apologies if this topic has been discussed but my exhaustive forum search hasn't been successful so I thought prudent to just ask directly to the VJ veterans who are so gracious with their experience and knowledge. I chose this forum with a hunch that perhaps, this situation has occurred several times before with domestic helpers.

I filed my I-129f a week ago and overnighted it to Texas but to date, have not received my NOA. I expect to shortly. However, a wrench was thrown into the procedure this morning when I was informed by my fiancee that on June 1, she will be leaving Hong Kong, her current address of three years (nanny) and will likely end up back in Manila with family members. Unfortunately, her employer's husband passed away and his caretaker is being retained (two year contract) while my fiancee's will be prematurely ended, since the wife knows of her K1 process and her eventual departure. Financially, it's a logical decision for the employer but administratively, a curve ball to us since my fiancee was originally told she would be retained until her K1 approval.

Since this process is in such an early stage, what is the procedure for updating the embassy (line 34a/b on the I-129f) associated with my application so it is forwarded to the correct country? We will need to change that from Hong Kong to Manila.

I don't have a receipt notice or receipt number (as stated above) so is this something that can be done with a phone call or online submission? Also, since her address is now going to be different, does this require a new G-325a form with her new address in Manila or is that form change unnecessary since at the time of its submission, she was/is still in Hong Kong at the last known address?

Thanks for your help and guidance!

Hard reality is the odds of getting the embassy changed is not that easy, I have yet to find anyone at that has got it done BEFORE the case file arrived at the embassy, then it takes a request from one embassy to have the case file transferred to the other embassy which can add a month or two to your wait.

I am guessing you meant 36a & b, as 34 has to do with meeting withing two years.

Now for another interesting note, NVC does not look at 36a & b when they determine where to send the case file, they look at the information in Part 2 about your fiancee's address. If you listed an address in the Philippines that is where the case file will be going, if you listed a different address that is where the case file will be going.

Odds are you will find yourself banging your head against the wall trying to change things with USCIS or NVC ... only say this because others before you, that I know of, had no such luck.

All the best in your endeavor.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

I am guessing you meant 36a & b, as 34 has to do with meeting withing two years.

Indeed. Thx Hank for that correction. Unfortunately it would appear, I listed her current address in Hong Kong in section 2. Ironically, moments ago, I received the email notifying me "Your case has been accepted and routed to the USCIS California Service Center for processing." Now the fun begins. The email also stated "Within 7-10 days by standard mail you will receive your official Receipt Notice (Form I-797) with your Receipt Number WAC----------." so does this mean once I receive my I-797, I can attempt to contact a USCIS Tier 2 rep to get this address changed, since it's not at NVC yet?

I guess worst case scenario is my fiancee visits the US consulate in HK as soon as I receive my NOA2, with a copy of my email letter to the embassy requesting a change of processing for her K1 to Manila as a result of her circumstances, and pray it is done in a timely manner, which I believe we both know, is going to result in numerous status checks and phone calls to the HK embassy. I simply have little faith that such a request to change venue is going to be processed judiciously....unless of course the consulate is all too happy to forward it to Manila and reduce their workload by one case. :dancing:

Edited by Seafarer

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Indeed. Thx Hank for that correction. Unfortunately it would appear, I listed her current address in Hong Kong in section 2. Ironically, moments ago, I received the email notifying me "Your case has been accepted and routed to the USCIS California Service Center for processing." Now the fun begins. The email also stated "Within 7-10 days by standard mail you will receive your official Receipt Notice (Form I-797) with your Receipt Number WAC----------." so does this mean once I receive my I-797, I can attempt to contact a USCIS Tier 2 rep to get this address changed, since it's not at NVC yet?

I guess worst case scenario is my fiancee visits the US consulate in HK as soon as I receive my NOA2, with a copy of my email letter to the embassy requesting a change of processing for her K1 to Manila as a result of her circumstances, and pray it is done in a timely manner, which I believe we both know, is going to result in numerous status checks and phone calls to the HK embassy. I simply have little faith that such a request to change venue is going to be processed judiciously....unless of course the consulate is all too happy to forward it to Manila and reduce their workload by one case. :dancing:

You now have your WAC number, you will need that up through NVC, after that you will have an HK embassy number to get everything done, including getting the case file transferred to Manila if needed.

I wish you luck with getting the address changed, to date I know of no one that was successful. Yes for now you need to talk to USCIS

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.