Sunnybanana1913

Do I need to wait to apply for the K3 visa after the CR-1 ? Can it be done at the same time ?

10 posts in this topic

Can I apply for the K3 visa for my wife at the same time I file the I130 (cr-1) Spouse Visa ? or Do i have to wait for a while and then apply for the K3 visa after filing the Cr-1 Spouse Visa.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Current USCIS and State Department procedures have rendered the K3 virtually unobtainable making actual issuance of one is a rare occurrence. IMO, don't bother pursuing it. CR-1 is a superior visa anyway.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Current USCIS and State Department procedures have rendered the K3 virtually unobtainable making actual issuance of one is a rare occurrence. IMO, don't bother pursuing it. CR-1 is a superior visa anyway.

What do you mean unonbtainable ? then why does it exist ? and the CR-1 can take up to 1 year or more. I thought that the K3 would shorten time between couples being away from eachother and isnt to hard to get. can you elaborate?

Edited by Sunnybanana1913

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

It has been covered many many many times, have a read.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

you are from the Philippines most likely the IR-1/CR-1 visa will be approve in less then a year. The USCIS are still processing petitions fast from there because of the typhoon especially typhoon Yolanda that happen in 2013

As Ryan mention a k-3 is rarely given out simple reason is the CR-1 visa is approve before the K-3 is process. the reason for the K-3 visa was that spousal visa was taking a long time and that was a good option to get your spouse over while waiting on the CR-1 visa

However that is not the case. There are some Higher fraud countries that the process might take longer will it might be a good option to do, but not from the Philippines.

Also if you do the K-3 visa you will have to adjust status later in the USA and pay extra money. your wife will not have her green card or be able to work right away

If you do CR-1 visa your wife will pretty much have her green card and be able to work if she wants too as soon as steps foot in the USA she will be a LPR

So if you want to still do the k-3 the choice is your but if you see my signature or timeline you will see that my wife visa is almost done it was about 8 months a k-3 will not be much faster and the advantage of a cr-1 visa over K-3 is way much better in your case

Edited by j&ana

ROC
Service Center : Nebraska Service Center
Consulate : Manila, Philippines
Marriage (if applicable): 2014-05-20
I-130 Sent : 2014-10-06
I-130 NOA1 : 2014-10-09
I-130 RFE for NSO copy of marriage certificate: 2014-11-03
I-130 RFE Sent : 2014-11-18
I-130 Approved : 2014-12-07
NVC Received : 2014-12-23
NVC case number: 2015-02-04
Received DS-261 / AOS Bill : 2015-02-04
Pay AOS Bill : 2015-02-05
Submit DS-261 : 2015-02-05
Sent AOS Package : 2015-02-09
Sent IV Package : 2015-02-09
Scan date : 2015-02-10
Receive IV Bill : 2015-03-03
Pay IV Bill : 2015-03-06
Submit DS-260: 2015-3-12
Case Completed at NVC : 2015-03-20
Receive Instruction and Interview appointment letter: 2015-3-27
Medical complete: 2015-04-08
Interview Date : 2015-05-08
Interview Result : Approved
Visa Received : 2015-05-13

Date of US Entry : 2015-06-09

Date of Social Security card receive : 06-2015

Date of Green Card received 07-2015

Date of ROC FILE 05-19-2017

I-751 NOA Date 05-26-2017

http://jerryjja.wix.com/filipinasaswa?_ga=1.194674661.91538870.1441656248

you are from the Philippines mot likely the IR-1/CR-1 visa will be approve in less then a year. The USCIS are still processing petitions fast from there because of the typhoon especially typhoon Yolanda that happen in 2013

As Ryan mention a k-3 is rarely given out simple reason is the CR-1 visa is approve before the K-3 is process. the reason for the K-3 visa was that spousal visa was taking a long time and that was a good option to get your spouse over while waiting on the CR-1 visa

However that is not the case. There are some Higher fraud countries that the process might take longer will it might be a good option to do, but not from the Philippines.

Also if you do the K-3 visa you will have to adjust status later in the USA and pay extra money. your wife will not have her green card or be able to work

If you do CR-1 visa your wife will pretty much have her green card and be able to work if she wants too as soon as steps foot in the USA she will be a LPR

So if you want to still do the k-3 the choice is your but if you see my signature or timeline you will see that my wife visa is almost done it was about 8 months a k-3 will not be much faster and the advantage of a cr-1 visa over K-3 is way much better in your case

Thank you kind sir. you were a great help much more helpful than the other people that commented here, there need to be more helpful people like you :)

This is a DIY site, so people tend to expect you to do a little research on your own. The K3 forum is full of this kind of information if you'd read a few posts.

The K3 was introduced when IR1 petitions took years... think 3-5 years for your spouse, instead of 8-12 months.

The reason why the K3 is pretty much unobtainable is because:

1) it is USCIS policy to adjudicate the I-130 and I-129F together . You send the I-129F after you get the NOA1 (notice of action) from the I-130.

2) it is NVC policy to close the I-129F if it reaches them after or at the same time as the I-130.

The K3 has about a .3% chance of making it to interview. Even a consulate or embassy may close the I-129F if they find out there is an approved I-130 on file. If it does make it through it saves you maybe a month or two in processing time but costs TWICE as much.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Not everyone on here is as knowledgeable about this website and the information that can be obtained here and where to go to get it so we just ask the questions we want answered. If people are too lazy or impatient to respond to such elementary questions then don't. We're just trying to work through this process the best that we can and sometimes actual relatable people give much more easily understood answers than an informational section of this site. At some point we're all here for pretty much the same reason so it's very much appreciated to get answers from helpful people who are further along. I know I'll help whenever I can.

Not everyone on here is as knowledgeable about this website and the information that can be obtained here and where to go to get it so we just ask the questions we want answered. If people are too lazy or impatient to respond to such elementary questions then don't. We're just trying to work through this process the best that we can and sometimes actual relatable people give much more easily understood answers than an informational section of this site. At some point we're all here for pretty much the same reason so it's very much appreciated to get answers from helpful people who are further along. I know I'll help whenever I can.

I agree, theres no point in even coming to VJ then to even ask questions when rude immature people just start messaging. whats the point of VJ then ? its all a learning process dont need to act arrogant just because someone knows more about this website than newbies.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.