zeeeeeeek

Did I make a mistake? USCIS vs DCF

47 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

I did not actually I did not meet the residency requirements to do DCF, I went home and filed and came back to jordan because of my pregnancy to be with me husband so this is actually the normal run of the mill process your doing as well .

Timeline

I did not actually I did not meet the residency requirements to do DCF, I went home and filed and came back to Jordan because of my pregnancy to be with me husband so this is actually the normal run of the mill process your doing

So if you complete the process withing 2 months this is a case where USCIS is faster than mimo going through DCF. Just a question, You said you applied back in the states, did you put in your Jordanian address as a place where the documents should be sent or did you put in your U.S address?

Timeline

I had no Jordanian address I had only been in jordan for roughly 3 months staying with my in laws when I returned back to the states for a few months so everything was done with a U.S. address, I only stay in jordan on a visitors visa that my husband extends for me. so while we now have an apartment and I'm living here I did not qualify and still would not because I'm only a visitor not a resident of jordan, like you would be considered since you've lived in Jordan so long. Mimo did hers over 2 years ago as well so a lot has changed since then, processing times change all the time .

Timeline

I had no Jordanian address I had only been in jordan for roughly 3 months staying with my in laws when I returned back to the states for a few months so everything was done with a U.S. address, I only stay in jordan on a visitors visa that my husband extends for me. so while we now have an apartment and I'm living here I did not qualify and still would not because I'm only a visitor not a resident of jordan, like you would be considered since you've lived in Jordan so long. Mimo did hers over 2 years ago as well so a lot has changed since then, processing times change all the time .

I see. I will be watching your timeline very closely. Hopefully you guys get it soon.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

How long did the whole process take in total? were you both living in Amman at the time?

We didn't do DCF, I was living in the US. I did spend a lot of time in Jordan during the process, I think a total of about 4 and a half months and 5 trips back and forth. Our process took 9 and a half months from NOA2 until the day he received his visa including AP. His interview was 7 months from NOA2, then he had 9 weeks of AP. We had VSC.

Timeline

We didn't do DCF, I was living in the US. I did spend a lot of time in Jordan during the process, I think a total of about 4 and a half months and 5 trips back and forth. Our process took 9 and a half months from NOA2 until the day he received his visa including AP. His interview was 7 months from NOA2, then he had 9 weeks of AP. We had VSC.

oh ok i thought you have gone the DCF route. seems like the average processing time is pretty accurate at 9 - 11 months.

Anyone in the forum submitted their application as a DCF in Amman Jordan please chime in.

Filed: Timeline

huh.

Well I would like to say auto- expediting does exist. I know this as a FACT- because a very very long time- I will admitted, I have no problem saying when Im wrong, I engaged myself into a CR thread- when the CR/overseas process is not something I know anything about.

I found myself like you stated- surrounded by a lot of speculation does auto expedite exist? Whats up with the discrepancies? I was schooled HARD by the then veterans whom have since moved on from VJ. I dont really take- this is the way it is just because or because the stats say so as hard proof something is fact, and wasnt comfortable supporting/endorsing the concept of auto expedition for those living abroad with out seeing a document or official reference by USCIS so I dug around.

I did find something. I honestly do not know what I did with it or where in the world I would have linked it or referenced it in the forums. But I did find something that referenced 'family unity'. The USCIS considers family unity a priority and its a controversial topic because you often see some starting petitions demanding better/faster processing at the service centers and they reference things like- Oh the USCIS claims they want family unity so why is my alien spouse- the parent of my children being kept away while our paperwork is being processed for so long??

According to the USC- family unity... well the people they cover when they talk about "family" are USCs---NOT ALIENS. Basically people that can vote./ They can give two hoots about aliens and LPRS. Their goal is to reunite those USCs who are living abroad back home to the US of A as quickly as possible to be with their US citizen relatives. To bring the USCs HOME.

Just like the slogans in war, bring our fighting sons and daughters home/ Someone who is overseas waiting on a virtual line to come back with the virtual extra baggage of a spouse will get processed faster- because why should they be delayed return to their homeland where there mother and father and brothers and sisters are due to paperwork? USCs always get priority. Thats family unity.

Like I said- the document I read clearly stated family unity was REAL and in effect and due to it foreign embassies/consulates whatever the wording was to do DCF to reunite USCs. It was very clear. Sort of a slap in the face to some. But its what the gov came up with.

-------

So IF one has the choice between the quote regular CR route and DCF- ALWAYS go DCF. It is faster. The guides were linked already with all the technical info.

Basic overview: If you are in the US, or say you have a US address and are a US applicant you send your papers to the US lockbox, they get processed for an average of 6 months at a service center then sent to NVC who does crud with them before forwarding them to the overseas embassy who THEN BEGINS looking at them and you go for the interview.

IF you can DCF, you turn in everything directly in person at the Embassy. There are no middlemen. No extra steps. Its basically a one stop do it all..

YES AP will still apply no matter which way you go. AP wont kick in until you get to the Embassy level no matter which process you use. The amount of places youve lived and number of police clearances you have may effect it, it may not. A police/background check is literally done very very quickly. The problem is due to heightened security and Im very sorry to say racism, someone somewhere has decided that certain countries (visa applicants from them along with people that meet certain red flags-have certain degrees/traveled to -lived in certain areas) are subject to extra scrutiny.

So their background check isnt completed virtually instantly and their passport returned almost instantly like it is for most. So being tactful here and a bit blunt- does your spouse have a red flag family name? Has he traveled/lived in red flag areas? (war zones/terrorist zones) Does he have an occupation or schooling that would make him seem..threatening? I mean is he a nuclear physicist? A chemical engineer? Is a member of his family a holy man? Im being extreme but you get the point.

Here is a pdf on AP. Its going to happen. You wont know how long it will be, so IMO your best bet if you are seeking the fastest route possible is to use DCF, as your papers will be processed fastest that way.

https://pennstatelaw.psu.edu/sites/default/files/documents/pdfs/Immigrants/Administrative-Processing-FAQ.pdf

Timeline

huh.

Well I would like to say auto- expediting does exist. I know this as a FACT- because a very very long time- I will admitted, I have no problem saying when Im wrong, I engaged myself into a CR thread- when the CR/overseas process is not something I know anything about.

I found myself like you stated- surrounded by a lot of speculation does auto expedite exist? Whats up with the discrepancies? I was schooled HARD by the then veterans whom have since moved on from VJ. I dont really take- this is the way it is just because or because the stats say so as hard proof something is fact, and wasnt comfortable supporting/endorsing the concept of auto expedition for those living abroad with out seeing a document or official reference by USCIS so I dug around.

I did find something. I honestly do not know what I did with it or where in the world I would have linked it or referenced it in the forums. But I did find something that referenced 'family unity'. The USCIS considers family unity a priority and its a controversial topic because you often see some starting petitions demanding better/faster processing at the service centers and they reference things like- Oh the USCIS claims they want family unity so why is my alien spouse- the parent of my children being kept away while our paperwork is being processed for so long??

According to the USC- family unity... well the people they cover when they talk about "family" are USCs---NOT ALIENS. Basically people that can vote./ They can give two hoots about aliens and LPRS. Their goal is to reunite those USCs who are living abroad back home to the US of A as quickly as possible to be with their US citizen relatives. To bring the USCs HOME.

Just like the slogans in war, bring our fighting sons and daughters home/ Someone who is overseas waiting on a virtual line to come back with the virtual extra baggage of a spouse will get processed faster- because why should they be delayed return to their homeland where there mother and father and brothers and sisters are due to paperwork? USCs always get priority. Thats family unity.

Like I said- the document I read clearly stated family unity was REAL and in effect and due to it foreign embassies/consulates whatever the wording was to do DCF to reunite USCs. It was very clear. Sort of a slap in the face to some. But its what the gov came up with.

-------

So IF one has the choice between the quote regular CR route and DCF- ALWAYS go DCF. It is faster. The guides were linked already with all the technical info.

Basic overview: If you are in the US, or say you have a US address and are a US applicant you send your papers to the US lockbox, they get processed for an average of 6 months at a service center then sent to NVC who does crud with them before forwarding them to the overseas embassy who THEN BEGINS looking at them and you go for the interview.

IF you can DCF, you turn in everything directly in person at the Embassy. There are no middlemen. No extra steps. Its basically a one stop do it all..

YES AP will still apply no matter which way you go. AP wont kick in until you get to the Embassy level no matter which process you use. The amount of places youve lived and number of police clearances you have may effect it, it may not. A police/background check is literally done very very quickly. The problem is due to heightened security and Im very sorry to say racism, someone somewhere has decided that certain countries (visa applicants from them along with people that meet certain red flags-have certain degrees/traveled to -lived in certain areas) are subject to extra scrutiny.

So their background check isnt completed virtually instantly and their passport returned almost instantly like it is for most. So being tactful here and a bit blunt- does your spouse have a red flag family name? Has he traveled/lived in red flag areas? (war zones/terrorist zones) Does he have an occupation or schooling that would make him seem..threatening? I mean is he a nuclear physicist? A chemical engineer? Is a member of his family a holy man? Im being extreme but you get the point.

Here is a pdf on AP. Its going to happen. You wont know how long it will be, so IMO your best bet if you are seeking the fastest route possible is to use DCF, as your papers will be processed fastest that way.

https://pennstatelaw.psu.edu/sites/default/files/documents/pdfs/Immigrants/Administrative-Processing-FAQ.pdf

What about if there is a delay of four months if i wanted to use DCF ?

DCF is much faster, even if you would have had to wait until July.

As the US citizen you reside in Jordan, presumably?

Look as I said I dont really monitor the current CR going ons. Its not my thing. Hypnos is usually on point.

No one can predict how things move in regards to speed when it comes to the "normal route" and I mean sending in the CR via service centers. There are tons and I mean tons of threads about if you go to this service center or that one. And then all kinds of variable from weather and staffing and number of petitions received.

There are threads on VJ where people group based on filings by month to compare progress and get an idea on how long to expect to wait plus timelines and graphs of all the sorts. Again I dont have an interest in it because I do not have an active CR petition.

Those that HAVE posted so far are telling you what? 9-11 months from today? Thats your estimated time to be at the embassy. At that point is when you will be interviewed and they will tell you OK, now you just have to go through AP and once its done you will get your passport back.

IF you are allowed to DCF in July, and the DCF will take---? around 3 months or so (?) to process the same paperwork the service centers will take 9-11 months to do and then at that point interview you and place you in AP then you are still ahead.

But again- I dont know. Perhaps the service center will work at warp speed and you will end up in the Embassy in 6 months instead of 9. Perhaps they will slow to a crawl and you wont get there until 12.

What stinks is they wont take your DCF until July.

So my question would be- who advised you they dont take DCF until July and then find out if you were to apply for DCF apx how long do they estimate DCF will take to process in July? (the embassies I am aware of usually have completed it with in 3months- some have even processed people in as little as 2-3 weeks, others have waited as long as 4-5 months) An email or phone call to the Embassy should get you an answer. Again you are just looking for general info not a guarantee processing date.

Hey,

I don't understand why you must wait until July to file. Both you and your spouse live in Jordan, right, and you said you'd lived there since you were 12 years old?

http://jordan.usembassy.gov/dhs_i130.html

For DCF in Jordan you must have been resident for at least 12 months.

Is there some other factor?

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

Timeline

Look as I said I dont really monitor the current CR going ons. Its not my thing. Hypnos is usually on point.

No one can predict how things move in regards to speed when it comes to the "normal route" and I mean sending in the CR via service centers. There are tons and I mean tons of threads about if you go to this service center or that one. And then all kinds of variable from weather and staffing and number of petitions received.

There are threads on VJ where people group based on filings by month to compare progress and get an idea on how long to expect to wait plus timelines and graphs of all the sorts. Again I dont have an interest in it because I do not have an active CR petition.

Those that HAVE posted so far are telling you what? 9-11 months from today? Thats your estimated time to be at the embassy. At that point is when you will be interviewed and they will tell you OK, now you just have to go through AP and once its done you will get your passport back.

IF you are allowed to DCF in July, and the DCF will take---? around 3 months or so (?) to process the same paperwork the service centers will take 9-11 months to do and then at that point interview you and place you in AP then you are still ahead.

But again- I dont know. Perhaps the service center will work at warp speed and you will end up in the Embassy in 6 months instead of 9. Perhaps they will slow to a crawl and you wont get there until 12.

What stinks is they wont take your DCF until July.

So my question would be- who advised you they dont take DCF until July and then find out if you were to apply for DCF apx how long do they estimate DCF will take to process in July? (the embassies I am aware of usually have completed it with in 3months- some have even processed people in as little as 2-3 weeks, others have waited as long as 4-5 months) An email or phone call to the Embassy should get you an answer. Again you are just looking for general info not a guarantee processing date.

Thanks for your input, everything you have said sounds logical enough :sleepy:

Hey,

I don't understand why you must wait until July to file. Both you and your spouse live in Jordan, right, and you said you'd lived there since you were 12 years old?

http://jordan.usembassy.gov/dhs_i130.html

For DCF in Jordan you must have been resident for at least 12 months.

Is there some other factor?

Yes we do live in Amman together. When i called the U.S embassy in Amman they told me they will not be processing any applications until sometime in July.

Timeline

Ive just dug up this email i got from the embassy back in January

Greetings,

Thank you for your email inquiry. Please find attached the Form I-130 instruction sheet. Please note that if you are not qualified as an American citizen to file the Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative with this office, you may file in the United States, at the Chicago Lockbox facility. For additional guidance please visit www.uscis.gov.

Please note that you are not required to file your Form I-130 with this office. Total processing time may be quicker by mail, because currently we are unable to give applicants an appointment to file before July. Petitioners residing in a country with a USCIS office may send their Form I-130 to the Chicago Lockbox, or they may file their Form I-130 at the international USCIS office having jurisdiction over the area where they live. For further information, please refer to the www.uscis.gov section on Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative.

Sincerely,
USCIS Amman

Okay so for lost-at-sea (and my) question regarding the July date--

It seems you were told in January that they wont be accepting DCFs until July. Probably due to staffings or just general embassy procedures or going ons.

The email, if you re-read it now with a better understanding of the process, explains you can file at the service center (even if you reside overseas-nothing wrong with that) You dont HAVE to wait for them to take your application in person. At that point (IN JANUARY) they were currently setting up appts for July.

Maybe things have changed?

I would send them another email now. Its better to not confuse the situation by tacking on unnecessary info about I have a current case pending blah blah. Just a basic email like you sent before about the basic process. What is the current DCF time. Is it in opening in July and again how long after they take in your application in July can you expect the process to take?

After you get the basic info and you make a decision you can then see about what action to take next.

(If DCF is not currently going on right now, which it seems it may not be, it could be a reason why no one is responding to your inquiries about anyone doing it right now lol, that plus the thread title is non country specific. There is a section of VJ specifically about DCF, have you browsed it yet?)

Timeline

Okay so for lost-at-sea (and my) question regarding the July date--

It seems you were told in January that they wont be accepting DCFs until July. Probably due to staffings or just general embassy procedures or going ons.

The email, if you re-read it now with a better understanding of the process, explains you can file at the service center (even if you reside overseas-nothing wrong with that) You dont HAVE to wait for them to take your application in person. At that point (IN JANUARY) they were currently setting up appts for July.

Maybe things have changed?

I would send them another email now. Its better to not confuse the situation by tacking on unnecessary info about I have a current case pending blah blah. Just a basic email like you sent before about the basic process. What is the current DCF time. Is it in opening in July and again how long after they take in your application in July can you expect the process to take?

After you get the basic info and you make a decision you can then see about what action to take next.

(If DCF is not currently going on right now, which it seems it may not be, it could be a reason why no one is responding to your inquiries about anyone doing it right now lol, that plus the thread title is non country specific. There is a section of VJ specifically about DCF, have you browsed it yet?)

Ill email them again see what info i can get. I havent browsed the DCF section, i don't think. could you post a link?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.