Mellylamelle

Requesting an interview general time frame with NVC... Is there any way at all?

7 posts in this topic

Hi there - so after 16 months of delays and screwups (17 if you count the initial f---up) we finally, FINALLY have a case complete from NVC for my husband's visa!!!!

When I called them, they said that all the interviews at the US Embassy in London for May had been scheduled so the earliest we will get one is June.

We have waited so long, and honestly dealt with so many delays and frustrations, that whatever happens I know we can deal with it.

BUT.... I am wondering if there is anyone we can ask at NVC to see if we could possibly have our interview scheduled during the first two weeks of June, if we are going to get a June interview?

Here's why - it's a long story so scroll down to the very end if you want. :)

My husband and I currently live in Abu Dhabi. I'm nearly done completing a 3.5-year teaching contract out here, and then we are going to move to the US together. We had originally hoped to be all done with this process at least a few months before we left but now that is clearly not going to be the case! I'm done with my contract June 17, and our visas will be cancelled - we can't stay in the UAE after this time.

Anyway, because we didn't know when his case would finally be marked complete and when he'd have to go to the UK for his medical and interview, and because hubby is freelancer and can work remotely, we figured we would make plans to leave the UAE together, go to the US, and then use air miles to fly him to and from the UK for his medical and interview if necessary. We booked our UAE departure flights last Tuesday.

About 10 days ago, we found out the NVC put a hold on our case because when we'd originally been assigned a case number I tried to get us changed to the US embassy in Abu Dhabi. One email sent in December was unanswered because I'd neglected to give his D-O-B, so I resent my request on January 31. I also sent an actual letter in early January which included that information, and that was apparently lost or ignored by NVC because we never received an answer to it. We also sent in our AOS and IV packets, and regrettably got a checklist, and moved heaven and earth to resubmit docs, with a new scan date of March 17. On March 23, I got a reply to my January email, stating if we wanted to change embassies we had to provide proof of residence. Considering it had taken over 4 months to get two replies and we had so little time left in Abu Dhabi, we decided to abandon the change request, and I didn't answer the email.

Little did I know that NVC had placed our case on hold until they received a reply to us or up to 90 days from their reply to me! I didn't know that because nowhere in their email does it say they will do that!

Anyway, when I found about this, I was absolutely livid. After a total of about 3 and a half hours on hold to NVC I FINALLY got through to a supervisor, who managed to get the hold removed. Last week I checked on the case on Tuesday and it still hadn't been reviewed - that phone call finally got someone looking at our case and we got a CC Thursday.

NVC told me that all the slots for May interviews at the London Embassy are now booked. I just keep thinking that if they hadn't frozen my case we probably would have had a CC at least a few weeks earlier and a shot at a May interview date, or early June at least.

I know there are no guarantees, interview-wise, but we've been together for 13 years, and I've been told there are no "red flags" or security issues on our case. I feel pretty sure if he can get an early June date then we stand a very good chance of his being approved in time for us to fly to the states together on June 21, which is our hope. He will also then be able to attend my best friend's wedding, which is on June 27. She scheduled the date especially so I could make it, and she really wants my husband there, too.

Do you think there is ANY way I can ask NVC to try to give us a date for early June? I KNOW we would be "jumping the queue" of CC - but believe me, there are SO many people who started this process long after us and are now totally done. We have had f---ups at EVERY SINGLE STAGE of the process (read my profile!) - just this ONE thing, it would be great if we could get the somewhat smoother and faster route!

Any advice or suggestions appreciated! I know this is a long read so thanks for reading it!

Edited by Mellylamelle

I've never heard of the NVC assigning a preferred interview date - from what I know cases just go into a queue and are treated on a first-in, first-out basis. You'd be better off waiting for them to assign a date and then trying to request an earlier date from the embassy themselves.

Try and get your medical out of the way as soon as possible and make sure you have all the required documents for interview. Bear in mind these can vary case to case. You should receive a checklist of what to take inside your P4 email, when your interview date is scheduled by the NVC.

I was able to schedule my medical before I received my interview date. I simply took along my DS-260 confirmation page which confirmed my case number and visa class (CR-1).

Once your medical is done, you have all required documents for interview and you have a confirmed interview date, track the case to the embassy using CEAC.

https://ceac.state.gov/CEACStatTracker/Status.aspx?eQs=o/iS8zDpeAKjMWCuebHqOw==

Once the case reaches the embassy (the status should show as "ready"), head on over to the embassy's webpage and use the contact form to request an earlier interview date and tell them that you are available at short notice.

http://london.usembassy.gov/mobile/iv/contact_us.html

State that your medical is complete and you have all required documents and are ready for interview. I can't guarantee that they will definitely change it for you, but from what I've read London are fairly accommodating.

Good luck!

Edited by shippingforecast

Now chronicling my experience in handy blog format at

http://the-shipping-forecast.tumblr.com/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

NVC will not and does not adhere to request for specific days. In the interview thread you are on go tot the first post there is a Letter to request an earlier date pinned.

Once you get your interview date and your petition reaches the embassy (you will know when your status tracker says READY, then you can contact he embassy and request an earlier date. UK sometimes accommodates and you may get May date. But you have o wait for your interview date.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Just to let you know the even without the hold up you probably still wouldn't have interview date. My CC was the 1st April and I wasn't scheduled by those dimwits in the last round of scheduling. So it looks like it will have taken me a month just to get my interview date.

Genuinely if it wasn't for my wife there is no way in hell I would be moving to a government choked country like the USA.

Just to let you know the even without the hold up you probably still wouldn't have interview date. My CC was the 1st April and I wasn't scheduled by those dimwits in the last round of scheduling. So it looks like it will have taken me a month just to get my interview date.

Genuinely if it wasn't for my wife there is no way in hell I would be moving to a government choked country like the USA.

You're STILL waiting?!

You're STILL waiting?!

Yep. If I get it this week it will have only taken me a MONTH to get an interview date. Not a single part of this process is reasonable or efficient

Yep. If I get it this week it will have only taken me a MONTH to get an interview date. Not a single part of this process is reasonable or efficient

I hear that. I think we were unfortunate enough to follow the backlog through every part of the process/departments. But a month for just assigning a date... I thought three weeks was bad enough.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.