ydu1

Why everyone want to become a u.s citizen?

48 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

For me I will probably do it so that we can live wherever we want in future (if we move back to Europe for a while I won't have to worry about losing the green card) and also so that I won't have to deal with USCIS anymore. That will be a sweet moment :lol:

Also because once I'm a citizen I can vote for whichever person I dislike the least, its strange living in a country and paying taxes but being essentially disenfranchised (although I can still vote in the UK as a UK citizen).

Yeah, but you'll have to deal with the IRS and no escape from that :lol:

I still have a few years to decide, if the decision is to live and eventually die here, I will get citizenship so I can call my journey complete and because I wouldn't have to worry about TWO tax systems. If we somehow end up back in Europe though, I will renounce my residency, and only one of us will be ranting about the IRS XD

I'm inclined to say we'll stay though. Moving across the world again and getting acclimated to a new system, new language, new set of rules is, in short, a PITA (I should know)

Edited by GurkenSalat

I think you should trade places with an illegal and see how it feels.

Your statement reminds me of a friend who came to America as a student, overstayed his visa, and spent decades before he finally became a U.S. citizen. Yet after all the struggles he went through with the INS then and USCIS now, many of which I was a witness to, this guy had the audacity to later say "deport them all", referring to illegals. The irony, which was lost on him, is that he was in the exact same boat only a few years earlier.

Fortunately, America is far more forgiving than he is and its citizenship means a lot. It is also far from perfect but one of the few places on this planet where you can be just about anything you want to be.

So start a radio station my friend and speak your favorite language over the airwaves while carrying your licensed concealed weapon. America lets you do that. :)

I agree, citizen ship means nothing anymore, non citizens have more rights now than citizen. I was a non citizen once, there where many things I could not do, own a gun, speak a foreign language on the air waves, work for any company that had a government contract. Now illegals have more rights.

Edited by Dario2012

Feel. The. Bern.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

First of all, not everyone wants to live in the US. There are far better places to live, such as Scandinavia, Australia and Switzerland, who are usually on the top 10 list of the best countries to live that the UN do on an annual basis. The US has been way too romanticized by Hollywood movies.

Many of us on here are moving to the US and/or becoming US citizens because we happened to fall in love with an American. Many of us also have or will have our American spouse become citizen in our home country. Dual citizenship opens up a lot of countries to live in.

Met online October 2010

Engaged December 31st 2011

heart.gifMarried May 14th 2013 heart.gif

USCIS Stage

September 8th 2014 - Filed I-130 with Nebraska Service Center

September 16th 2014 - NOA1 received

March 2nd 2015 - NOA2 received :dancing:

NVC Stage

March 28th 2015 - Choice of agent complete & AOS fee paid

April 17th 2015 - IV fee paid

May 1st 2015 - Sent in IV application

May 12th 2015 - Sent in AOS and IV documents

May 18th 2015 - Scan Date

June 18th 2015 - Checklist received

June 22nd 2015 - Checklist response sent to NVC

June 25th 2015 - Put for Supervisor Review

Sept 15th 2015 - Request help from Texas US Senator Cornyn and his team

Sept 23rd 2015 - Our case is moved from supervisor review to NVC's team for dealing with Senator requests

Nov 4th 2015 - CASE COMPLETE!!!! :dancing:

Embassy Stage

Dec 16th 2015 - Medical exam

Dec 21st 2015 - Interview

Dec 21st 2015 - 221(g) issued at interview for updated forms

Jan 13th 2016 - Mailed our reply to the 221(g) to the US Embassy, received and CEAC updated the next morning

Jan 20th 2016 - Embassy require more in-depth info on asset for i-864

Feb 1st 2016 - Sent more in-depth info on assets as requested. Received the next morning

Feb 16th 2016 - Visa has been issued :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

In the US

April 5th 2016 - POE Newark. No questions asked.

April 14th 2016 - SSN received

May 10th 2016 - First day at my new job :dancing:

May 27th 2016 - Green Card received

June 7th 2016 - Got my Texas driver's license

Indeed, Hollywood has romanticized America but not without reason. I hate Hollywood by the way.

It's erroneous to compare America to any of the regions or countries you listed in terms of quality of life. The U.N. (headquartered in New York City :D) may put out any annual surveys it wants but the fact of the matter of is, all the people in the countries you listed can fit in California. A country of 5 million cannot be compared to one of 300+ million.

If you like comparisons, the U.S. is effectively made up of 50 countries and should, for more accurate comparison, be compared to the E.U., for example (look how well that is working out :)). It has rich states and poor states, beautiful states and bland states. I hope you're catching my drift.

The decision to live here can be undertaken for many reasons but America is truly unique (not exceptional) in our world. The ingredients that make up this union and how it manages to move forward despite all its shortcomings is a sight to behold.

I'm probably preaching to the choir but I get annoyed by comparisons of the U.S. to other countries when some of those countries can fit in one zip code here.

First of all, not everyone wants to live in the US. There are far better places to live, such as Scandinavia, Australia and Switzerland, who are usually on the top 10 list of the best countries to live that the UN do on an annual basis. The US has been way too romanticized by Hollywood movies.

Edited by Dario2012

Feel. The. Bern.

Timeline

It's erroneous to compare America to any of the regions or countries you listed in terms of quality of life. The U.N. (headquartered in New York City :D) may put out any annual surveys it wants but the fact of the matter of is, all the people in the countries you listed can fit in California. A country of 5 million cannot be compared to one of 300+ million.

What the UN looks at are things like social security, education, medical care, poverty, environment etc in their report.

Regardless of how many people live in the US compared to "better" countries, it's still a fact that:

22% of American children live in poverty.

Education is for people with money, when everyone should really have the opportunity to go to college.

There are virtually no social securities which means many women who would have liked to work are actually forced to become stay at home moms or, if single mother, have to have several jobs just to provide for their families.

Medical treatment is given based on money.

There are 842,000 people living on the streets any given week. That's a lot of homeless people.

There are more people incarcerated in the US than anywhere in the world, including China, which is a communist country with over one billion people.

So yes, there really are better countries to live in and that has nothing to do with population. But I think which country is the best to live in depends on what someone wants out of live, where they are in life right now and where they're from. What annoys me though is the general consensus that "oh everyone wants to live in the US, the greatest country on the planet".

Met online October 2010

USCIS Stage

NVC Stage

Sept 23rd 2015 - Our case is moved from supervisor review to NVC's team for dealing with Senator requests

Embassy Stage

Jan 13th 2016 - Mailed our reply to the 221(g) to the US Embassy, received and CEAC updated the next morning

Feb 1st 2016 - Sent more in-depth info on assets as requested. Received the next morning

Feb 16th 2016 - Visa has been issued :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

In the US

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I agree, Dario 2012, is ""spot on"" agree with everything he said.

YES, elections are bought and paid for by foreign countries, and individuals. The Clintons are perfect examples of this, as so much has been exposed just this week.

But, as as place to live, yes this is still the best, and though we vote, the elections are decided by other foreign interests.

But we pretty go where we want to go, and do what we want to do, BUT those things are being slowly taken away by ""the current government"" as this is a government, that wants to throw the U.S. Constitution in a trash can!

But, over all, it is still the best country in the world. But, 8 more years.,.,..,.,like the past 6 and 1/2.,.,.,.,will surely doom this country, and we will be using Chinese currency, as the dollar will not be worth the paper it is printed on!

I want to become a citizen because I love this country and there's no place on earth I would rather live.

Egypt is a wonderful country with an amazing history and with long-suffering, but kind and tenacious people.

I've been to many places that are absolutely beautiful; from Stockholm to Chennai to Montreal to Barcelona there are many places that I think I could live and be quite happy.

But there's an undefinable quality that makes someplace just feel like home, and while I love my country of birth, the United States definitely feels like home.

I want to become a citizen so I can say that I am an American; not other people, but to myself. I think to me, getting the naturalization certificate would be similar to someone finally paying off a mortgage; you may have lived in the house for 30 years, but it wasn't really yours until that last moment.

I think there are very many valid reasons to want to become an American Voting, ease of travel, (as someone above mentioned) being with your loved ones. Not having to deal with the immigration services would be a huge plus! Being able to sponsor family members. These are all practical reasons, but in my own situation, I do not think I would choose to become a citizen if I didn't already feel like one in all but name.

I don't know why? And I don't know you but for some reason I think you are an awesome person. Keep it up. Have a great life in the United state of America. God bless.

Edited by yulisa

FILED UNDER THREE YEARS RULE (319A)

MAILED N400 - APRIL 17 2015

CHECK CASHED - APRIL 28 2015

RECEIVED NOA IN THE MAIL - MAY-01-2015 (PRIORITY DATE APRIL-23-2015) WHAT THE HECK THAT IS

NOA FOR BIOMETRICS RECEIVED MAY-15-2015 - APPOINTMENT MAY-29-2015 ( EARLY BIOMETRICS MAY-19-2015)

TESTING AND INTERVIEW - MAY-21-2015

INTERVIEW DATE- 07-24-2015 :goofy:

OATH CEREMONY MAILED ON- 08-03-2015 :goofy: :idea: :goofy: :idea: :idea:

OATH CEREMONY- 08-18-2015

I-130 JOURNEY FOR MOM

I-130 MAILED- MARCH-4-2016

I-130 NOA RECEIVED -MARCH 19-2016

I-130 APPROVED- APRIL-26-2016(WOW THAT WAS REALLY QUICK ANYWAY THANKS USCIS TEXAS) (L)

I-130 NOA2 RECEIVED IN MAIL-APRIL30-2016

I-130 SENT TO DEPARTMENT OF STATE - APRIL-29-2016

I-130 RECEIVED NVC-MAY-6-2016

l-130 CASE ASSIGNED- MAY 23-2016

I-130 PAYED AOS FEE- JUNE 1-2016 ($120)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

As a person who already holds dual citizenship (Australian/Irish) I actually have a lot of choice where I want to set my roots already. But the fact is that I fell in love with a home bird American. So much so that after his two year stint in Ireland he moved back to his home town, like 5 minutes away from his mom.

There is a lot of reasons that I would not live in America:

Medical expenses, for one.

No paid maternity/sick leave unless at the discretion of the company you work for.

Extremely expensive third level education.

But there is only one reason that I need to want to live in America and it is the love of my life.

The only reason I would become a USC is if my daughter decided to move to the USA. I could then pass on citizenship to her so that she wouldn't have to deal with being in love with someone from the USA and the complications that brings. Also she could attend University down here or work down here without complications. Who knows, maybe she'd move to Hawaii, her favourite place! But currently I have zero plans to become a USC. I do not care that I have to renew my green card every 10 years (after ROC is done) and I don't care that I can't vote. I only live here as because I am married to my soul mate and his job is significantly better than mine to equip us for living our lives. Maybe we'll retire in Canada. Who knows.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I am sure reasons vary across different applicants but for me, these are the reasons:

- No more reporting whenever I move places in the US. Believe it or not, you must do this as greencard holder.

- Be done and worry free with USCIS. Seriously, anything - little or big - you do as GC holder may negatively impact your status, and there are countless of policies.

- Be able to travel to any place for as long as I want and conveniently. My previous passport does not offer me ability to travel visa-free to many places. So becoming US citizen enables this very attractive option.

- Be able to bring my relatives to the States (parents and siblings).

- Be able to vote and have voice to influence where I and my future kids live.

Other reason, although not as strong, may include:

- Certain benefits you can only qualify as US citizen.

At the end of the day, if you choose US to be your new home US citizenship is necessary. You can live here as GC holder but if you pay the same tax and do the same responsibilities, why not entitle yourself to your deserved rights? And the biggest elephant in the room is USCIS. I am sure by now you have come to realize that USCIS can be a b*tch sometimes. Why do you leave an option open for them to strike you?

As a progressive, I'm not happy with but I agree with all the facts that you wrote. I'd even add the following to it (which explains why we suffer some of what you listed):

1) Bloated defense budget and off the books (useless) war spending.

2) Severe income/taxation/representation inequality heavily tilted in favor of corporations and capital gained (not earned) income.

3) Heavy industry lobby that maintains the power of useless middlemen such as HMOs and defense contractors

4) Fox News

5) Koch brothers

6) Prison industrial complex

7) War on drugs

8) War on organized labor (Ronald Reagan, grrrrr)

9) Warrant-less wiretapping and almost police-state status.

And on and on. But these problems come with the territory of a large country with a torrid past and vast riches. Human greed is insatiable. We also have a huge army so Scandinavia (which we protect) can spend its money on early childhood education, for example.

This is probably not the forum for where our discussion is headed but we're on the same page, by and large. I'd like to positively contribute to changing this in my lifetime and being a U.S. citizen will help.

22% of American children live in poverty.
Education is for people with money, when everyone should really have the opportunity to go to college.
There are virtually no social securities which means many women who would have liked to work are actually forced to become stay at home moms or, if single mother, have to have several jobs just to provide for their families.
Medical treatment is given based on money.
There are 842,000 people living on the streets any given week. That's a lot of homeless people.
There are more people incarcerated in the US than anywhere in the world, including China, which is a communist country with over one billion people.

Feel. The. Bern.

Timeline

I'd like to positively contribute to changing this in my lifetime and being a U.S. citizen will help.

I think that's one of the best reasons I have ever heard for wanting to become a US citizen. ?

Met online October 2010

USCIS Stage

NVC Stage

Embassy Stage

In the US

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Spain
Timeline

What I like about the US are the curfews! What a nice thing to have a government telling you to be out of the streets and out of your business at 10PM! Looks that North Korean type of laws are necessary to keep the prison system alive!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Liberia
Timeline

I want to become a U.S. citizen so I can:

1) Be taxed on my worldwide income.

2) Vote in elections already decided by moneyed interests.

3) Sponsor even more and ungrateful family/people to the U.S.

4) Die while pursuing the American dream that is increasingly illusive to the 99%.

Seriously though, I love this country so much I want to help fix all of the above.

We need more horse carts in USA...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.