wmaloney1

Tourist Visa for my fiancee's parents to attend wedding

28 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

If your neighbour in the US said they were going on the equivalent of a several times annual salary vacation but it was OK because it was being paid for by a relation would you not be thinking #######.

Agreed

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I am a USC who recently get my fiancée's k1 visa approved. I wanted to invite her parents to come to the wedding and visit some landmarks in Los Angeles. They are both older (father is 75, mother is 70 y/o) and retired. They have their home and farm in Davao City, and they have their grandchildren there in the Philippines. Her parents are active in their church and have assignments to do in the Philippines. These things should be enough for proof that they will return to their home after a 2 week stay in California? I want to help them fill out the DS-160 application. My questions are:

1) what should they put in the "immediate relatives in the US" section? Their daughter has not moved out here yet and I am not the son-in-law yet.

2) What should they respond in the US contact under relationship about me as their daughter's fiancé? would it considered "other relative" or "friend" or "other"?

3) I will be supporting them on the trip for airfare, transportation, and staying at my home. Would a letter of sponsorship and invitation letter be helpful? (They can't afford to pay for the trip and I will be paying for them).

4) How long does it take to get an interview at the Embassy and then it get the visa? (We are planning on getting married some time in the end of August and want them to be there for it). Is there enough time for them get the tourist visa?

What is your experience in the process?

If they do get a tourist visa please post and let everyone know. Unless they are very wealthy I think their chances are slim to none. I've thought about trying it myself only because it is relatively cheap to try. Just haven't gotten around to it yet. And invitation letter won't hurt, but odds are they won't look at it. Good luck!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

If they do get a tourist visa please post and let everyone know. Unless they are very wealthy I think their chances are slim to none. I've thought about trying it myself only because it is relatively cheap to try. Just haven't gotten around to it yet. And invitation letter won't hurt, but odds are they won't look at it. Good luck!

I saw a older person get a Tourist Visa in November, I was listening in to the whole interview, the lady was pretty old and had her son go with her, It was quick and a couple of questions and the CO told the lady she was approved twice since she had a hard time understanding English.

I think old and wealthy people have a lot better shot, I know wealthy have a pretty good success rate...

The trip would cost about $420.

^ This would be the approximate cost of a Davao / Manila round trip. Basically, it's the price for rolling the dice at the U.S. Embassy Manila.

For those who understand Tagalog, there are some good threads about tourist visas at the U.S. Embassy Manila over at Pinoy Exchange. Look under the immigration section.

Filed: Timeline

I am a USC who recently get my fiancée's k1 visa approved. I wanted to invite her parents to come to the wedding and visit some landmarks in Los Angeles. They are both older (father is 75, mother is 70 y/o) and retired. They have their home and farm in Davao City, and they have their grandchildren there in the Philippines. Her parents are active in their church and have assignments to do in the Philippines. These things should be enough for proof that they will return to their home after a 2 week stay in California? I want to help them fill out the DS-160 application. My questions are:

1) what should they put in the "immediate relatives in the US" section? Their daughter has not moved out here yet and I am not the son-in-law yet.

2) What should they respond in the US contact under relationship about me as their daughter's fiancé? would it considered "other relative" or "friend" or "other"?

3) I will be supporting them on the trip for airfare, transportation, and staying at my home. Would a letter of sponsorship and invitation letter be helpful? (They can't afford to pay for the trip and I will be paying for them).

4) How long does it take to get an interview at the Embassy and then it get the visa? (We are planning on getting married some time in the end of August and want them to be there for it). Is there enough time for them get the tourist visa?

They can show strong ties to their country,gbank bal. good, businesses/good jobs, dependents they

care for there, positions in organizations, home title/lease contract, no prior record, and can convince

te CO they will return home after visit, cases are reviewed prior to interview so be sure they have

Doc proofs because the CO already have an idea if its yea or nay from application

Just know somonee granted 10 yrs from Jamaica , my neighbor brother , just ave a job , no wife, home or bank

account, but last yr he got a one entry when his mom died here, he spent 3 wks and went home...he has 7

siblings here and no interest to live here. He says he wants to spend only a month not one day over

Edited by Jawaree

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Only Tagalog I know is TnT.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My wife is Filipino, and I spent 2 years there. Many people there wanted to talk to an American. I made many friends, with the wonderful Filipino people.

In my time there, I saw about 1 out of 10 tourist visa's approved. IT IS very difficult there to get a tourist or work visa.

If you have the assets, then apply.,,.,YOU must have very strong ties to the Phils., to get approved.

Good luck in your quest!

Congratulations! I am guessing that her parents have a good chance because the consul will not think of them not coming back in the Philippines and if you have the resources to finance all the expenses esp. the visa fee (pass or deny), give it a try.

1. not sure

2. not sure

3. No need for you to write the Invitation letter or anything like that but no harm for them to have it in the interview if you really want for them to have one but I advice not to give it to the consul unless they ask something like that. Because they will ask her parents on their interview and it was also one of the question in DS-160 right?, so they know that you will be paying for all the expenses.

4. Based on our experienced my mother submitted DS-160 March 30 or 31 and made an interview appointment for April 13, on that day she found out that she's approved and after 3 days she got her passport with stamped (10 years visa)

The interview was very fast, and she had all the documents she could have to prove that she is coming back to the Philippines, but the consul didn't asked for any documents. Her parents can ask for the interpreter too if they can't speak or understand English.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I think that was just for the visa interview.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

wow $420 that is cheap, lol just saying mine for my mother will cost me $2200 for her plane ticket.

That pretty expensive for a trip from Philippines to USA

We are talking about Davao to Manila, One way flight runs about $50 or 2200 peso on average....

At their age and with a home and grandchildren there, their chances are very good for getting a visa.

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

That pretty expensive for a trip from Philippines to USA

We are talking about Davao to Manila, One way flight runs about $50 or 2200 peso on average....

yes, that's about right and more because if the cost for the visa is $160x2= 320; plus plane and hotel or motel because they probably want to stay there near the embassy for 2 days or more for the interview.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.