18 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hello VJ's

We are about to begin the US passport journey for my child under 16.

I am a naturalized US citizen, recently received my US passport and now we are applying for his passport. We have an appointment tomorrow 04/22/15

Reading a few posts about "passport for child under 16" I noticed some of them have been struggling to receive their minor's passport, so I am starting this post to share our experience with this process. My big concern is in regards to the 'absent parent' issue, I divorced his father on 2004 and I only have the 'physical' custody and he has to sign a consent. The last time we contacted him was in 2013 and now there is nowhere to be found.

These are the documents we will submit:

1. - Application for a US passport

2.- Child's Green card (original)

3.- Mother's certificate of naturalization (original)

4.- Child's Birth certificate (original) and certified translation in English

5.- Parent's marriage certificate (original) and certified translation in English

6.- Parent's divorce certificate (original) and certified translation in English

7.- Form DS-5525 Statement of Exigent/Special Family Circumstances, along with a notarized letter explaining in detail the request of the US passport without the non-applying parent's consent.

8.- 2 passport pictures.

9.- Check for the passport fee

We hope all these meet the requirements for the issuance of my son's passport!!

I would appreciate any comments and if you and your child went thru the same process, how long did it take to receive the actual passport?

Thanks and good luck to all of you!

Newoption

Timeline

Hello again to all of you,

My son and I were at the Post Office to apply for his passport. We were called 15 min. earlier than our appointment, no problem, we were there ontime.

Things did not start quite well, while this lady is assisting us and taking our information, she says: "this is not going to work", I asked why, she said: "where is his US birth certificate?... I don't need his green card... he is not a US citizen" <_< Well, I was trying to explain the reason for all those documents (translations, etc), and she took my US certificate of naturalization, my son's birth certificate and his green card and talked to another post office worker (I have to mention that the office was really busy and crowded). She came back and told me she would take a photocopy of the green card only but she wasn't sure if that was necessary!! I also mentioned: "when I made an appointment, I was told I have to surrender my son's green card to the Department of the State, it is like an exchange for the US passport", she said I don't know anything about that. Since I have been reading posts here in VJ, I didn't want to compromise the process, so I decided to take all my documents and leave.

I was about to call again and make an appointment, this time with the Passport Agency, either L.A. or San Diego, but then, I decided to go to a different post office and get a second opinion. It was a busy office too but the passport window was empty, I had no hope to be assisted without an appointment but lucky me, the post office lady was helpful, I just wanted her to verify if I had the right information/documents to apply for my son's passport and told her what happened at the other office... she took a look and said: hey, you have all the documents, so she started taking my information and finalized the application process!

She also said "I'm sorry for what happened at the other office, the US Passport application for immigrating children of US naturalized parent(s) is common, but not all of the post office workers have the same training, and some of them know the rules, some have forgotten the proccess or haven't come across with a case like this before". :wow:

Well, now all we have to do is wait....

Edited by newoption

• 2 months later...
Timeline

I know it has been a while since we posted an update. The long wait was due to a letter received from the DOS requiring more information in regards with the full custody (I only have the physical custody). We received that letter the first week of June and since I don't have information from my ex husband (address, phone, etc/ he is not a US. Citizen and lives in Mexico) I wrote a very detailed letter explaining the situation (two pages). Yes, letter number 2 since I had already sent one with the initial passport application.

I have to mention that everytime I called the Passport Office or tracked online, no information or update was shown, not even when their letter was sent to me. I was hoping for the best, and finally the passport arrived today :star: my son was so lucky to receive the mail and he could not wait to open the envelope!! We are so happy and relieved.

Now, time to go to the Social Security Office and update his status to U.S. Citizen.

Good luck to all of you going thru a process like ours!!

God bless you.

Edited by newoption

• 1 month later...

I have a questions,

My daughter just came in USA. She did not receive her green card and social security yet. But her Visa status one year permanent residence due to POE stamp. I have citizenship certificate and passport already.

Can I apply US passport for her with this document? Will they ask me child green card? She is 3 years old.

I have a questions,

My daughter just came in USA. She did not receive her green card and social security yet. But her Visa status one year permanent residence due to POE stamp. I have citizenship certificate and passport already.

Can I apply US passport for her with this document? Will they ask me child green card? She is 3 years old.

Filed: Other Timeline

I have a questions,

Yes, you can apply for the passport, you dont need to pay the green card.

Thank you for reply. I forgot to say, my daughter does not have any N600 certifcate even green card yet. And I (father) have citizenship certificate. Still can she apply for passport?

Thanks

Filed: Other Timeline

Yes, you dont need the n600, this is so expensive and this is the reason that you can do it the passport, you can pay after the n600 if you want a certificate, but its no really necesary, just do it the passport, and you dont need the green card, dont pay for because your baby is a citizien

Yes, you dont need the n600, this is so expensive and this is the reason that you can do it the passport, you can pay after the n600 if you want a certificate, but its no really necesary, just do it the passport, and you dont need the green card, dont pay for because your baby is a citizien

Thanks. Today I went passport center. And they received my child application. They keep my child Bangladeshi passport, my citizenship certificate, my wife and my ID photocopies and child foring birth certificate.

Now my questions, when I got visa from embassy the requested to pay $165 for my child. They told me that's money wool recover visa cost. And I paid it before flying. Now USCIS saying, they will send a green card for my child.

So who is US citizen, who had passport, why he will get green card? What I do by that's green card?

Now I need to know, should I apply N600 for my child? Because passport office told me, I can not renew child passport. I have to again apply new passport after expire this current passport.

But when green card expire how does she prove her permanent residence? Even they told me my daughter will not get some benifit if N600 not have. Is this correct?

Filed: Timeline

Thanks. Today I went passport center. And they received my child application. They keep my child Bangladeshi passport, my citizenship certificate, my wife and my ID photocopies and child foring birth certificate.

Now my questions, when I got visa from embassy the requested to pay $165 for my child. They told me that's money wool recover visa cost. And I paid it before flying. Now USCIS saying, they will send a green card for my child.

So who is US citizen, who had passport, why he will get green card? What I do by that's green card?

When a person enters the US with an immigrant visa, they automatically become a US permanent resident. The immigrant visa itself turns into an I-551 (green card) valid for one year. They also mail you a plastic green card if you have paid the fee.

In this case, since the chid is a permanent resident minor residing in the US with a US citizen parent, the child will also automatically become a US citizen. This happens by automatic operation of law and you don't get any document showing it. If you want to prove the child's US citizenship, you would show the proof of the parent's US citizenship at the time when the child is under 18 + proof of the child's permanent residency at the same time when the child is under 18 + proof the child lived with the parent in the US. And those together serve to prove the child's US citizenship.

Because these two things happened quickly in succession (becoming permanent resident, then becoming citizen), it may seem odd that the child is getting the plastic green card after becoming a US citizen. But it is not really that strange. And actually the plastic card is not really needed in this case, because all that is needed is to prove the child's permanent residency at this brief time, which the stamped immigrant visa in his foreign passport already serves. But since you paid for it, you will get it.

You applied for the child's US passport, which means the child is already a US citizen.

Now I need to know, should I apply N600 for my child? Because passport office told me, I can not renew child passport. I have to again apply new passport after expire this current passport.

But when green card expire how does she prove her permanent residence? Even they told me my daughter will not get some benifit if N600 not have. Is this correct?

You don't need to file N-600 to apply for a Certificate of Citizenship. It is your choice whether to apply for it or not. AFAIK there is no benefit that she can get with a Certificate of Citizenship that she cannot get with a US passport.

She cannot "renew" the passport -- but she can apply for a new one with the old passport as proof of citizenship, unless she lost it.

She doesn't need to prove permanent residency because she is a US citizen; instead, she may need proof of US citizenship. A US passport or Certificate of Citizenship serves as proof of US citizenship if she needs one. But if she lives in the US she may almost never need such a proof.

• 1 month later...

Today I got my daughter passport. It took total 8 weeks. When I have submitted application, passport application receiving aagency told me, they no need any merrige certificate. But 3 weeks later they ask me parents merrige certificate.

Anyway, Thanks to all.

• 11 months later...

Hi guys! Do they require a child birth certificate that was issued within 30 days of child birth? if the child was registered 36 days later , do they reject such birth certificates at the passport office as an invalid proof of parent-child relationship? Just heard that from one VJ member and my eyes popped out of my head. Did anyone have to deal with it? I am talking about the situation when a child under 16 receives a US passport based on naturalization of one biological parent.

Thanks in advance

Hello VJ's

We are about to begin the US passport journey for my child under 16.

I am a naturalized US citizen, recently received my US passport and now we are applying for his passport. We have an appointment tomorrow 04/22/15

Reading a few posts about "passport for child under 16" I noticed some of them have been struggling to receive their minor's passport, so I am starting this post to share our experience with this process. My big concern is in regards to the 'absent parent' issue, I divorced his father on 2004 and I only have the 'physical' custody and he has to sign a consent. The last time we contacted him was in 2013 and now there is nowhere to be found.

These are the documents we will submit:

1. - Application for a US passport

2.- Child's Green card (original)

3.- Mother's certificate of naturalization (original)

4.- Child's Birth certificate (original) and certified translation in English

5.- Parent's marriage certificate (original) and certified translation in English

6.- Parent's divorce certificate (original) and certified translation in English

7.- Form DS-5525 Statement of Exigent/Special Family Circumstances, along with a notarized letter explaining in detail the request of the US passport without the non-applying parent's consent.

8.- 2 passport pictures.

9.- Check for the passport fee

We hope all these meet the requirements for the issuance of my son's passport!!

I would appreciate any comments and if you and your child went thru the same process, how long did it take to receive the actual passport?

Thanks and good luck to all of you!

Newoption

When a person enters the US with an immigrant visa, they automatically become a US permanent resident. The immigrant visa itself turns into an I-551 (green card) valid for one year. They also mail you a plastic green card if you have paid the fee.

In this case, since the chid is a permanent resident minor residing in the US with a US citizen parent, the child will also automatically become a US citizen. This happens by automatic operation of law and you don't get any document showing it. If you want to prove the child's US citizenship, you would show the proof of the parent's US citizenship at the time when the child is under 18 + proof of the child's permanent residency at the same time when the child is under 18 + proof the child lived with the parent in the US. And those together serve to prove the child's US citizenship.

Because these two things happened quickly in succession (becoming permanent resident, then becoming citizen), it may seem odd that the child is getting the plastic green card after becoming a US citizen. But it is not really that strange. And actually the plastic card is not really needed in this case, because all that is needed is to prove the child's permanent residency at this brief time, which the stamped immigrant visa in his foreign passport already serves. But since you paid for it, you will get it.

You applied for the child's US passport, which means the child is already a US citizen.

You don't need to file N-600 to apply for a Certificate of Citizenship. It is your choice whether to apply for it or not. AFAIK there is no benefit that she can get with a Certificate of Citizenship that she cannot get with a US passport.

She cannot "renew" the passport -- but she can apply for a new one with the old passport as proof of citizenship, unless she lost it.

She doesn't need to prove permanent residency because she is a US citizen; instead, she may need proof of US citizenship. A US passport or Certificate of Citizenship serves as proof of US citizenship if she needs one. But if she lives in the US she may almost never need such a proof.

Today I got my daughter passport. It took total 8 weeks. When I have submitted application, passport application receiving aagency told me, they no need any merrige certificate. But 3 weeks later they ask me parents merrige certificate.

Anyway, Thanks to all.

Hi guys! Do they require a child birth certificate that was issued within 30 days of child birth? if the child was registered 36 days later , do they reject such birth certificates at the passport office as an invalid proof of parent-child relationship? Just heard that from one VJ member and my eyes popped out of my head. Did anyone have to deal with it? I am talking about the situation when a child under 16 receives a US passport based on naturalization of one biological parent.

Thanks in advance

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.