FutureMrs

New and a tad frustrated

56 posts in this topic

He would be a new resident so those rules apply.

And no IDP needed, this is America and Cops speak English.

Maybe so Boiler, but even our DMV and insurance company insisted he bring an IDP with him. It's kind of a nonsense document yes, considering we're all English speaking I agree.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Actually there is one member (member name blk) on here who lives in New Jersey which recently allowed someone with a UK licence to just do the written test and then exchange his licence for a US one without having to do the road test.

But that's the only state I have heard of which allows a UK driver to skip the road test.

Based on my experience of my immigration journey and move - here are the pros and cons of getting your UK licence before you come:

Pro waiting to the US:

It's probably cheaper and quicker to learn to drive in the US

It's likely that your US car will be an automatic but the UK driving schools usually use manuals so you won't have to make that switch

You won't get used to driving on one side of the road and have to switch

The area you are moving to looks nice and quiet and calm for learning to drive - you may be in a much busier place in the UK

Pro doing it in the UK:

Check the rules of your state but sometimes if you have no licence you have to do the full on drivers ed course before doing the test which could take a lot of time

When you first move over there is a lot of adjusting to do and a lot of stress from different areas - if you already know how to drive you can remove at least one of the new stressful experiences

If you are moving to a rural area you will be absolutely stuck without a car - there is NO public transport in most rural places.

You may have a long wait in the UK for all the visa stuff of process - it will feel like a positive move to be doing something towards your new life while you wait.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Similar situation to mine. I flew over in March this year to visit my girlfriend (now fiancé). We went to choose the ring together in the USA but I did fly in with an envelope with the full I-129F pack in it as is prepared all the paperwork at home!

To be honest every time I've flown to the USA (Atlanta & Dallas twice) immigration has been an ok experience. I'm on the VWP ESTA that's pretty much standard now if you've no hidden past. Immigration officers ice dealt with we're professional but friendly. They will ask purpose of visit, when I visited my girlfriend I simply said that my purpose was sightseeing, told them I was staying with a friend which at the time she technically was & told them a few places we were visiting. We mailed the pack together while I was there....

Good luck whatever you decide but tell him not to worry, you'll be fine ?

11/09/14 - Met in Little Rock, Arkansas
12/13/14 - Officially started dating
03/24/15 - Vacation in Dallas, Little Rock & Memphis
04/02/15 - I-129F sent
04/03/15 - Officially engaged
04/08/15 - NOA1 received
05/05/15 - NOA2 received
05/18/15 - Case received at NVC
05/26/15 - Case received at London Embassy
10/09/15 - Medical - referred for GP investigations for thyroid
11/20/15 - Medical results delivered to Embassy after medical GP delay
01/11/16 - Interview - APPROVED

03/12/16 - POE Atlanta, Georgia

04/08/16 - Married

05/03/16 - AOS submitted

05/11/16 - AOS NOA1

06/01/16 - Biometrics (Memphis)

07/19/16 - Case Inquiry submitted online for EAD

FutureMrs, may I ask you how old you are? You said you have a 27 yo son. So you are probably my age or around (I will hit 48 soon). If your fiance is same age or around he has absolutely nothing to worry about while entering to the country. "Elderlies" are not being scrutinized on a daily basis. Customs usually are more harsh with the young ones (no offense to the younger generation), because they have less ties to their native countries due to their age, experience or assets they are tied up to. I visited my then fiance - now my husband - two times before we got married. I never had any proof of ties to my native country, no bank statements, no proof of vacation (I didn't know I had to have with me), except round way ticket. I was asked whom am I visiting and I would say Mr. Name Lastname and the address. That was it. On the second trip we got married in Florida (didn't plan that in advance), but I came back to my home country as I was planned. Now we are on a way to get CR-1. My husband came to stay with me while our visa journey is in process.

Don't worry about anything. Your relationship sounds very honest and genuine. Don't overwhelm yourself with the problems you will have to face in the future, like driving license and such - everything is doable if there is a wish.

Read, read and reared all guides VJ has provided here for us, stay cool and may your dreams come true. All the best!

To add something to encourage you: I got my first driving license in the USA 20 years ago. It was very easy. It was also a pleasure to drive in the USA as the drivers are mostly friendly and "well behaved" . Later on I came back to my home country, Lithuania. Nothing to compare with the USA. As you say, those round-about used to make me numbed for quite awhile :D Those round-about are very common in Europe.

Then I spent 2 years in the UK and I didn't dare to even think about driving there :D Your fiance will do great in the USA with you guiding in the passenger seat :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello. This is my first post. I hope that's not wrong I will go to the area and introduce myself in a bit, but I have some questions. First off, I'm very grateful for this site as I have read so many threads and different links given here to give me information.

My boyfriend is in the UK and I am an American citizen. A few things:

he's coming over to visit in June for 14 days. He is very nervous about being questioned and scared he will be turned back. This will be our first visit and he's not sure what to say. Unfortunately, he contacted a lawyer who scared him about being detained and possibly not let into the United States. I have read through the many, many pages on that thread about "you can visit" I am encouraged and I'm okay about him coming over and not turn back, but I'm not sure how to reassure him. Any thoughts?

we were going to get engaged in June when he came. So, we are going to file for the fiancée visa, but now that his fear of being rejected at the airport is so great, he is afraid to have anything close to the engagement ring we picked out together in his suitcase. So, we have talked to some people about doing the spousal visa, but I am at had confused about that. I'm not sure how one comes over from another country and gets married when I have read that when people come over to the US that they get question even about a girlfriend? Much less saying "we are going to get married."

if we go with the fiancée visa, we are talking about his next visit being October He already has both airline tickets paid for The June one in the October 1. But, that will be an entire year since we have been talking. An entire year before we can even file. And then the waiting begins. I have read the different arguments about doing the fiancée visa versus the spousal visa, and it seems to me the latter is better for us. However, I still don't know how people get married and not turned back at the airport.

I don't understand all of the abbreviations you guys use LOL I'm trying to learn, though. Can someone point me to something that explains what the abbreviations you all use our? I would appreciate it! Thanks.

Honestly he won't have a particularly difficult time, coming from the UK.

My now wife came her multiple times before our visa. The only time she was even questioned was her first time here. It might happen, he might have to answer some questions, but as long as he maintains that he's here for a visit and will be returning to the UK when his stay is up, they'll let him through.

After that first time, she just strolled on through all the other times she came.

November 14th, 2013: She's here!

December 12th, 2013: Picked up marriage license.

December 14th, 2013: Wedding

6gai.jpg

Filed: Timeline

OLee... Thank you for responding. I had my son young. I will be 44 in a few months. It makes sense not to worry so much because we are early and mid-40s. Like you, not to put down in a younger people, but I can see why they would allow him through easier because he's not a young whippersnapper anymore like we used to be and, yes, we have a true, honest, real love for one another. There is nothing to hide, and he was content to live in the UK for the rest of his life until we "met." He wasn't looking to come to America.

I'm so old now that using the term "boyfriend," doesn't sound apropos. I use it, but it sounds strange. His father calls me his "lady friend." Believe it or not, I would prefer that term. I guess I guess am old-fashioned, too. I don't know another term to use for him. I call him "my Martinus," but I highly doubt at the POE that they would understand that ha ha. He, in turn, has various names for me My crazy American girlfriend, my Empress, and my Mad Hatter. There's a lot of story behind all of those names, very cute stories.

I will put a picture below of me holding the poem that he wrote in his book for me entitled "My Mad Hatter." I can't read it often because I cry because of the meaning behind the words. I will add a couple other pictures, so people here can get an idea of me.

It's good to read your story. I'm glad you were able to drive in the US and found it much easier. I relate to your story about how you came over and told them you were visiting Mr. name, last name. The first time I sent a package to him, it was addressed to Mr. and then his name.

post-206807-0-91358300-1429311763_thumb.jpg

post-206807-0-14349400-1429311922_thumb.jpg

Some of my favorite quotes:

"There are not enough words in the English language to describe how much I love you. I want to serve you for the good of us. Your smile. I never tire of seeing your smile. I'm patient; you're worth waiting for. I want to marry you." - My sweetheart, 4/8/15

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems men face." Ronald Reagan.

"Poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese." G.K. Chesterton

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all." Oscar Wilde

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." Ralph Waldo Emerson

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." Steve Martin

event.png

Avery... That's good to know. I'm glad it was so easy for you guys. Hopefully, it will be like that for us, too! I honestly can't imagine it's going to be problematic.

"There are not enough words in the English language to describe how much I love you. I want to serve you for the good of us. Your smile. I never tire of seeing your smile. I'm patient; you're worth waiting for. I want to marry you." - My sweetheart, 4/8/15

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems men face." Ronald Reagan.

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all." Oscar Wilde

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." Ralph Waldo Emerson

event.png

Similar situation to mine. I flew over in March this year to visit my girlfriend (now fiancé). We went to choose the ring together in the USA but I did fly in with an envelope with the full I-129F pack in it as is prepared all the paperwork at home!

To be honest every time I've flown to the USA (Atlanta & Dallas twice) immigration has been an ok experience. I'm on the VWP ESTA that's pretty much standard now if you've no hidden past. Immigration officers ice dealt with we're professional but friendly. They will ask purpose of visit, when I visited my girlfriend I simply said that my purpose was sightseeing, told them I was staying with a friend which at the time she technically was & told them a few places we were visiting. We mailed the pack together while I was there....

Good luck whatever you decide but tell him not to worry, you'll be fine ?

Thank you so much for sharing your story. So awesome to pick out the ring together. We did all of that online. I had a gazillion rings in mind at various prices. Then he was going to pick out what he wanted for me. Well! Did he ever! It's a real beauty and it's in London! I contacted the London jeweler and spoke with the son of the jeweler about that particular ring. I have a problem with certain metals and since this was not an 18 karat gold ring, they have to send it out to have an overlay of Your gold that will be thin, But will not harm me. It should last about 3 to 5 years and then we just get it overlaid with pure gold again. Otherwise, I may not be able to wear it. I have a problem with copper That I can't seem to detoxify out of my body. Well, anything under 18 karat has some copper in it. He can go get it in London, or they ship it for free Here to the US for there to the UK. He was going to London on May 1, but changed his plans because of the cost to get there. It would've been nice for him to be able to see the ring in person, though. I don't know where in proximity the jeweler is compared to where he was going in London that day. It was a play he was going to, so it may have been way out of the way anyway. I'm so glad to hear that you got to visit your girlfriend who is now your fiancé! Congratulations!

event.png

OLee... Thank you for responding. I had my son young. I will be 44 in a few months. It makes sense not to worry so much because we are early and mid-40s. Like you, not to put down in a younger people, but I can see why they would allow him through easier because he's not a young whippersnapper anymore like we used to be and, yes, we have a true, honest, real love for one another. There is nothing to hide, and he was content to live in the UK for the rest of his life until we "met." He wasn't looking to come to America.

I'm so old now that using the term "boyfriend," doesn't sound apropos. I use it, but it sounds strange. His father calls me his "lady friend." Believe it or not, I would prefer that term. I guess I guess am old-fashioned, too. I don't know another term to use for him. I call him "my Martinus," but I highly doubt at the POE that they would understand that ha ha. He, in turn, has various names for me My crazy American girlfriend, my Empress, and my Mad Hatter. There's a lot of story behind all of those names, very cute stories.

I will put a picture below of me holding the poem that he wrote in his book for me entitled "My Mad Hatter." I can't read it often because I cry because of the meaning behind the words. I will add a couple other pictures, so people here can get an idea of me.

It's good to read your story. I'm glad you were able to drive in the US and found it much easier. I relate to your story about how you came over and told them you were visiting Mr. name, last name. The first time I sent a package to him, it was addressed to Mr. and then his name.

FutureMrs, thanks for sharing your sweet experience with your future husband. Wrote a poem! Wow! He is a true romantic! I love those old fashion styles :)

I just want to share you my short story about the engagement ring. My then fiance was going to propose me and made clear he has already chosen the ring for me. Though he suggested we would both go to the store so I can ok his choice. It was in Dublin, Ireland where we spent our little vacation. Well, I was more then shocked when I saw the ROCK he was going to buy for me. It was beautiful, of course, very expensive too. But it made me kind of confused and sad together. I didn't want to hurt his feelings, but I knew I would never wear it. I am a "blue jeans/tennis shoes gal" and I couldn't picture this ROCK on my finger. It was also absolutely useless to spend so much of money on the ring - this was my opinion. I had to act quickly before we both burst into tears, so I explained my point of view sugar coating a bit, and added that my finger might get cut off at the nearest dark street corner with such the ring on it :D We both burst into a laughter and it took me little time to chose tiny, but beautiful ring I am proudly wearing since. Instead of the price of the "ROCK" we took an extra two week pre-honeymoon vacation and both were very happy :)

Good luck to you, dear.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Greece
Timeline

Hello. This is my first post. I hope that's not wrong I will go to the area and introduce myself in a bit, but I have some questions. First off, I'm very grateful for this site as I have read so many threads and different links given here to give me information.

My boyfriend is in the UK and I am an American citizen. A few things:

he's coming over to visit in June for 14 days. He is very nervous about being questioned and scared he will be turned back. This will be our first visit and he's not sure what to say. Unfortunately, he contacted a lawyer who scared him about being detained and possibly not let into the United States. I have read through the many, many pages on that thread about "you can visit" I am encouraged and I'm okay about him coming over and not turn back, but I'm not sure how to reassure him. Any thoughts?

we were going to get engaged in June when he came. So, we are going to file for the fiancée visa, but now that his fear of being rejected at the airport is so great, he is afraid to have anything close to the engagement ring we picked out together in his suitcase. So, we have talked to some people about doing the spousal visa, but I am at had confused about that. I'm not sure how one comes over from another country and gets married when I have read that when people come over to the US that they get question even about a girlfriend? Much less saying "we are going to get married."

if we go with the fiancée visa, we are talking about his next visit being October He already has both airline tickets paid for The June one in the October 1. But, that will be an entire year since we have been talking. An entire year before we can even file. And then the waiting begins. I have read the different arguments about doing the fiancée visa versus the spousal visa, and it seems to me the latter is better for us. However, I still don't know how people get married and not turned back at the airport.

I don't understand all of the abbreviations you guys use LOL I'm trying to learn, though. Can someone point me to something that explains what the abbreviations you all use our? I would appreciate it! Thanks.

Hi, just read your post. You both worry too much already. Please, just keep in mind that you are NOT about to do something illegal or even unusal. There are thousands of people who are visiting the United States of America for all sorts of reasons. The officers at the POE ( port or place of entry ) are just doing their job and HAVE to ask some questions. Sometimes there is not even time for that obviously. I entered the US 6 times as girlfriend and later as fiance of my american now husband and NEVER had a problem. Don't forget that those officers are dealing with plenty of visitors on each of their shift and they don't want any complications themselves. Answering their questions truthfully and short is the key I believe. They don't want to hear your life story and details about rings and all. So if they , most likely ask your boyfriend what is the purpose of his visit he should just tell the truth. Which is in your case : I am visiting a friend. Because that is what you are at this very moment, right ? No officer will ask him wether he has a ring in his suitcase. Just take it all one step at a time. I can tell your head is spinning and you worry about too many things at once. Your guy will for sure have no problems on entering the US and visit you for the first time. Enjoy your time together, see if you really want to go the next steps and then take it from there. And if you have a great time on his first visit and you still want to get engaged, then just do it and THEN start your paperwork and study a bit about the next steps. I totally understand your worries because I've been there ( more for timing reasons and wanting to live together as soon as possible ) and so have and are so many others. It is just a huge hussle more than anything else. For as long as you both have no criminal records and are truthfully commited to eachother and also get a joint sponsor later on , everything should be ok. It will just take time. Best of luck on your journey. Don't forget to enjoy though :-)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.