FutureMrs

New and a tad frustrated

56 posts in this topic

He must just say he is there for a vacation. You are not even engaged so he won't even need to mention the word fiance. The truth is that you are just friends at the moment. Plan whatever you want to do AFTER he gets there so you don't need to tell lies now.

When I came back to the States the second time I had to stay back in Canada for 90 days, because I was in the States for 6 months with my passport the year before that which we are allowed to do ....BUT I was asked a whole bunch of questions when I did come back because all the info is their computer when they pass your passport number, so you cant lie , their not stupid...I told them the truth that I had went and stayed with my boyfriend for 6 months because we were planning our wedding... Then he asked so when is it? I said it all depends , he asked on what , I said if you stop me from going back or not because we set the date for the 2nd of June and we have a whole bunch of people coming to ...He looked at me all surprised that I said that....And that's hen he stamped my passport and said Thank you I said for what , he said for being honest and then said I wish their were more people out there like you because it would make my job a lot easier LOL!!! then he shook my hand and congratulated us ...and wished us good luck with our journey :)

You see its better to be honest than lie because as I said they are not stupid they know when you are ...

Edited by fancy

You also don't have to have the fancy ring to file a K-1 petition. My now husband and I filed when he came in March to get the ball rolling. He put a ring on it when he came back in May.

Your fiance should be fine. Mine came to visit at least 5 times during the process (a few before we were engaged, a few after). As everyone else has said, they may ask a few more questions, but if he's honest, he'll be fine. He isn't trying to hide anything or get away with anything. He's just coming to visit!

K1 Visa Process AOS Process

Mar 18 2013: I-129F mailed to CSC Nov 15 2013: I-485 with EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox

Sept 19 2013: Interview - Approved!! Jan 25 2014: EAD/AP Card Received

Oct 6 2013: POE - Chicago O'Hare June 2 2014: Permanent Resident Card Received!

Oct 27 2013: Wedding!

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I'm FutureMrs' boyfriend. I have questions about learning to drive in the US. I don't drive in the UK. How long would I have to wait to be able to learn to drive, and can I apply for a learners permit before getting a SSN or green card?

Also if we decide to go the CR-1 visa route, and I come to the US under the visa waiver program (Esta), what questions could I expect if I say I'm visiting with the intent of getting married? Would the border patrol officer believe me even if I have all the relevant paperwork?

driver's license rules are on a state by state basis. Your profile doesn't have much detail. But search for the state (or county/town) you'll be moving to and their DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) site. It should have the information you need.

If you do the CR-1, admittance is always at the discretion of the CBP officer. But if you're honest and have some ties to show to the UK (a lease, mortgage, job, return flights), you should be fine.

It's up to you guys which visa works better for you. There are lots of threads on VJ about K-1 vs. CR-1. The K-1 means that you come and get married within 90 days of entry, then adjust status. You can't work for about 3 months (you'd apply for the EAD). The CR-1 means you get married, go back to the UK, then return once approved (about a year). You'll get a green card when you enter and be able to work immediately.

Usually it comes down to if you want to be apart after you are married but minimize the lapse in employment or if you want to come on the K-1 and be able to stay but not work for up to 3 months.

Mar 18 2013: I-129F mailed to CSC Nov 15 2013: I-485 with EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox

Check out their site: http://dor.mo.gov/drivers/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi There StMartin, as a British dude who has flown to see my fiancée in the USA multiple times, I can tell you that the nervousness at the border never goes away, but I've never had any issues at all, even when visiting during the K1 visa process (just once). Copy of your employer letter, your lease on your flat etc. I've always had these in my bag ready, and never been asked for them - but they made me feel calmer knowing they were in there.

..and a word of advice on the Jewellery front? If you are buying her anything else that expensive, use the £ to Dollar advantage and use your British credit/debit card to buy it from the USA site and have it delivered to her address...Tiffany's deliver....just sayin...

On the driving front - rather than pitch up there in a years time and start learning, why not learn to drive over here and get used to it - you have to keep yourself occupied while you are waiting and that's one more thing you can do?

Hmm..oh yes, self sponsorship... London is different from some of the other embassies, and we're allowed to have cash/savings taken into account, so why not save up, and when you get your interview at the embassy, take your girl's I-134 and details of your savings too.

Filed: Timeline

Hi honey! So glad you were able to post here. WHY are you still in the UK?! *smiles*

Thank you all for your help. I'm glad to have so much help in just one thread. Can always go back to the links and whatnot that you give us.

Sarah... Yeah, that's my big "problem" about doing the K-1 is that he won't be able to work right away with the green card. Jobs in America for some of my friends who have degrees are finding it hard to find work. If we have to wait for a green card and then work is hard to find after that.... not good.

Some of my favorite quotes:

"There are not enough words in the English language to describe how much I love you. I want to serve you for the good of us. Your smile. I never tire of seeing your smile. I'm patient; you're worth waiting for. I want to marry you." - My sweetheart, 4/8/15

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems men face." Ronald Reagan.

"Poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese." G.K. Chesterton

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all." Oscar Wilde

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." Ralph Waldo Emerson

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." Steve Martin

event.png

Timeline

So...on the jobs front....get him to start subscribing to beyond.com glassdoor and the local online newspaper - also to bring his Linkedin account up to date and make it 'americised' .

This will give him a chance to see what local firms and recruiters there are in your area and research salaries and frequent vacancies.

As for the Green Card - effectively three months/four months after his entry he should be able to go looking for work - so start making a list of all those jobs around the house that need doing :)

I agree you should learn to drive before you move here and also get your licence in the UK before moving to the US.

Each state usually allows a grace period where you can drive using your foreign licence before you have to get your US licence. I think in Virginia it was 60 days.

So that gives you a chance to get to know the area - get used to driving in the US etc before you need to take the US driving test and get your new licence.

Also re the visit in June - remember that tens of thousands of people visit the US from the UK for pleasure each year. And that is what you are doing. Don't lie to the border people if asked a direct question but you don't have to give them a day by day itinerary for your trip.

I had a long distance relationship with my husband for three years before we got married and I flew over to see him about 5 times a year for those three years.

At the beginning I said I was on vacation and staying with a friend

In the second year of doing this I said I was staying with my boyfriend

In the third year we had got engaged so if asked I said I was staying with my fiance.

Then after we got married in the UK we had to wait a year for the spousal visa to be processed and again I flew over about five times during that year and when asked said I was visiting my husband.

They always asked for proof of my return ticket, and a few times asked about my job in the UK but noone was ever nasty about it or refused me entry. Once a rather stern officer warned me that I wasn't allowed to work on my vacation (I'm a journalist and also had an I visa in my passport which allows you to work in the US but you have to declare it at the border and I had already told him I was there on vacation)

I did always bring a letter from my boss saying when I was due back at work and a copy of my lease etc but was never asked for it.

Timeline

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I think the law requires me to have had a UK driving license for two years to be able to drive in the US.

Which law?Never heard of such a law.

Driving test in the US is much easier than the UK, no comparison.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

I am waiting to learn in America. There are so many things you have to do for the Irish driving test nowadays anyway... But why learn now when soon youll have to learn how to drive in a new country on the other side of the road.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.