47 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hes not being sarcastic.

I know at one point they added a "Just answer" box that you can 'ask a lawyer' and get connected to lawyers to. And a big FYI all the ads you see surrounding your screen are different then what I see or Shauneg sees. They are based on cookies specific to you.

So I suspect Knight has been doing a lot of legal searches and perhaps has a lot of legal ads surrounding his screen. Im a chronic online shopper, so my ads are all of the tempting variety. Things like 'still looking for xyz on ebay?' or 20% at xxxxyyy.com

I guess you missed the time when (tragically) one married user seeking ROC assistance came to the suggestion forum to complain why was VJ (a site for marriage and fiance visas) where everyone was in relationship had such heavy advertising for ok cupid and dating sites flooding the side bars... Awkward convo followed where the mods had to explain it was based on the cookies and browsing history...someone in the house was frequenting the sites and it wasnt them... :(

Hes not being sarcastic.

I know at one point they added a "Just answer" box that you can 'ask a lawyer' and get connected to lawyers to. And a big FYI all the ads you see surrounding your screen are different then what I see or Shauneg sees. They are based on cookies specific to you.

So I suspect Knight has been doing a lot of legal searches and perhaps has a lot of legal ads surrounding his screen. Im a chronic online shopper, so my ads are all of the tempting variety. Things like 'still looking for xyz on ebay?' or 20% at xxxxyyy.com

I guess you missed the time when (tragically) one married user seeking ROC assistance came to the suggestion forum to complain why was VJ (a site for marriage and fiance visas) where everyone was in relationship had such heavy advertising for ok cupid and dating sites flooding the side bars... Awkward convo followed where the mods had to explain it was based on the cookies and browsing history...someone in the house was frequenting the sites and it wasnt them... :(

Oh dear. :(

That makes sense, though. Thanks.

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hes not being sarcastic.

That is awkward...yikes. I know when I go on my phone and to the menu there's an ask a lawyer button or something close to that name. Maybere that's what they're asking about, idk.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hes not being sarcastic.

I don't want to get off-topic since this post isn't about that but I had ads all the time for me to find a nice Asian wife or sometimes a Russian one. I also have a lot of lawyer options come up. I'm not looking for a wife or a date and I don't think my 6-year-old son is either. So it's possible that that person's ads were also generating randomly like mine do. When I do order something in the same session then I will definitely see a change in what pops up such as a new bed for my dog. Suddenly have a ton of them available to me. I just would hate to lead someone to the wrong information and make accusations that aren't true about someone else's browsing history. I didn't see that thread but i hope they're OK and not having any problems due to false accusations.

ETA: Forgot to respond to the OP's question - I doubt anyone here will be able to tell you the cost of the lawyers who are advertising. They will likely be specific to your area based on your IP address. And most of us aren't using lawyers.

Edited by Ms Hogan

USCIS - 40 DAYS
2012-10-30: FedEx delivered I-130 to Chicago Lockbox Mail Room
2012-11-01: NOA1 by email - MSC
2012-11-02: $420 (x3) debited from our account
2012-11-05: NOA1 hard copies received, Priority Date 2012-10-30
2012-12-11: NOA2

NVC - 26 DAYS
2013-01-02: Rec'd case#, IIN, BIN & OPTIN emails for EP sent
2013-01-03: Submitted DS-261 (x3)
2013-01-07: AOS bills invoiced and paid & OPTIN for EP accepted for each of us
2013-01-08: AOS bills appear as paid & AOS packages sent by email
2013-01-08: IV bill invoiced & paid (kids' only)
2013-01-09: IV bill appears as paid (kids' only)
2013-01-09: IV Package emailed & DS-260 submitted online (kids only)
2013-01-11: AOS received -notified by email
2013-01-11: IV bill invoiced & paid (for me)
2013-01-14: IV bill appears as paid (for me)
2013-01-14: IV Supporting Docs received for kids - notified by email
2013-01-14: IV Package emailed & DS-260 submitted online (me only)
2013-01-18: IV Supporting Docs received for me - notified by email
2013-01-18: Son#1 CASE COMPLETE - Son#2 checklist - saying $ on I-864 don't match tax return (but they do)-resubmitted
2013-01-23: AOS 2nd submission for Son #2 received - notified by email
2013-01-25: My CASE COMPLETE
2013-01-28: ALL 3 OF OUR CASES ARE NOW COMPLETE
2013-02-06: Packet 4 Received by email

MEDICAL ~ CONSULATE ~ POE REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS - 160 DAYS NATURALIZATION
2013-02-13: Medicals 2014-12-17: Delivered to California Lockbox 2015-12-15: Delivered to Phoenix Lockbox
2013-03-06: Interview 2014-12-19: 1 I-751 + 3 Biometrics Fees debited from our account 2015-12-16: Fees charged to Credit Card
2013-03-08: Visas in-hand 2014-12-22: Received NOA1 by mail. Receipt Date: 2014-12-17 2015-12-17: NOA
2013-03-12: Paid USCIS Immigrant Fee 2014-12-24: Received Biometrics Appointment Letter 2016-01-02: Biometrics Letter 2016-01-11: Biometrics
2013-03-14: POE 2015-01-06: Biometrics 2016-02-15: In Line for Interview 2016-02-19: Letter
2013-03-25: SSNs arrived 2015-05-27: Approved 2016-03-22: Interview
2013-04-01: Green Cards arrived 2015-06-03: New Green Cards arrived 2016-04-15: Oath Ceremony

I also don't want to go of topic but maybe use Google Chrome with Adblock plus extension.

Strips out the ads on this site. (Lets hope this isnt a TOS violation)

Thank you, goodnight and may your gods go with you",

Dave Allen.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

This is what is on my screen:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Try asking our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

http://www.visajourney.com/ask?utm_source=website&utm_medium=forums&utm_campaign=topic-ask

xe4sm4.png

cQuqm4.png

Re- Mrs Hogan. Lol. I doubt your son is browsing for some action. Computers are not as smart as the people who write the programming would like them to be- yet. Ad based cookies are complex and this is not really an appropriate place to discuss the technicalities behind them besides the simple explanation that its based on browsing history. Keep in mind what you read on VJ is part of your browsing history. Russian Brides? Yup. I get them too. After Ive spent some time on a thread where the topic was a spousal visa from Russia and the word wife and Russia came up a hundred times. Or one time I participated in a multi page thread on a DUI and the person was from Canada and my page changed to DUI lawyers and need a visa from Canada?

Of course no one should leap to conclusions based on something so silly such as contents of ads generated based on history. The situation I referred to was sooo long ago. Probably back in 2012. No idea what happened to the poster, tried searching but with the updates- search only goes back so far and I have no idea of the username.

--------

Anyway

The link you are quoting Knight is the one powered by "Just answer" ---see the blue box to the left. Its an ad of sorts the site owner decided was a legitimate one to incorporate into the site for those wishing to seek out legal advice.

Several members have posted using the 'just answer' service on occasion for a quick question or clarification of something and paying a minimal fee and having a positive experience.

Just answer is a legitimate site, which is why I suppose whomever is in charge of such decided to have it on the site. However, being a legitimate site is sort of a polite way of saying its not a scam. The results from the lawyer you hire through them if you chose to would vary...

I dont know if you specifically need to waste money on an attny. I mean it is ultimately up to you, but what exactly do you think you need one for? Usually attnys are needed if you have a specifically complicated case. And yes, I did read this thread and the other one, and while I would say youve had some troubles my friend- keep in mind an immigration lawyer can not speak for you. They are (IMO) great for things like paperwork- filing out waivers, appearing in court, etc.

Yes, there they can speak for you, but in an interview- no. They can not speak for you or answer your questions. They will not come into your home and help you gather evidence. Most dont even properly prepare the evidence you give them! They just physically place it into the packet with a generic cover sheet.
Its very rare to find a lawyer who will give you personalized attention. Yes, there are people like Sandra. Shes a pro bono VAWA attny that works with victims of domestic violence on the VAWA thread here. She does take the time to get to know the people shes working with because she cares. If you have time, read through the last few pages of the thread and youll see she does her job and picks up slack from other attnys as well. Because the sad truth is- not everyone cares like that.
Recently someone posted there how they spent nearly ten thousand dollars on their case- this is a person abused, left undocumented with no means of support, being charged an outrageous amount of money by an attny- and the attny is making simple errors on the case that even I know better- and Im no lawyer. And who is up late at night typing out how to fix it? Sandra. Feeding them advice on what to tell the paid attny to get it back on track.
So how do you guarantee you get someone like Sandra who is smart and educated and actually cares vs someone who is a corporate cookie cutter and will take your money and push your paperwork?
You can ask around for local recommendations, you can interview them and go with your gut. But I suppose its always going to be a gamble. And the biggest and first question is- Do I really need one?? What will they specifically be doing for me? How is different then if I do it myself?
--
regardless of your choice of going with attny or not, Im glad you decided to not file for the 751.
Besides the fact that you would be extreeeeemely late with it, you would also have to account for the fact that she has been outside of the US for so long which snowballs into joint evidence/bonafide marriage etc etc. Just really.. not a good path to go down.
So starting fresh is the best option.
She didnt surrender her GC when she left to be closed out, but its not a requirement to. It seems she left around May '14 and her card expired June '14. ROC forms were never received so from a USCIS standpoint they probably have her 'current gc closed out' already. (probably not the technical term but you get it) Basically Im saying you shouldnt have any trouble applying that a lawyer would need to do some paperwork untangling magic- because she has nothing open, nothing pending, nothing stopping her nor you from submitting the 130 and requesting a GC again.
People do it all the time. There are other threads about it. Couples get married, they go through a huge process for the GC and come to the US live a while and then go back overseas. Usually they post when they want to come back to the US and are outraged, simply outraged that they have to go through the whole process again of getting the darn GC. Its just how it is. You have to reapply for it.
People at USCIS are not going to be like OMG this is the first person ever who needs a GC more then once, assemble a team! lol. Of course you have some issues. Issues you can not hide. And I sincerely hope you learned something from this thread about hmm lets say a lesson on not creative storytelling or twists?
I mean we are just a bunch of (for the most part) casual internet browsers passing time and were able to piece together your story in what? a few hours based on name recognition and post history? Youre submitting to a complete in depth background check by the US government and turning over a case file in addition to agreeing to an in person interview.Surely you agree that the truth- the whole truth, from the very beginning is the way to go? right?
Now I wouldnt necessarily volunteer and pour out unasked for and unsolicited things. But if asked, you must give the truth- because it is the only way to legally obtain the visa--->GC.
Everyones journey is different. In some cases, telling the truth, when its awkward can cause delays, more interviews, more scruntity, but so what? You will get it at the end. Tell a lie- well if it works can get you an approval faster, but if it doesnt, you are denied- end of road.
So you would stick to the basic facts of your situation. Your wife was not on an extended vacation or you would not have posted- help my wife took off and kidnapped my child. You separated.
You all were married, she had a legitimate GC, left before it expired due to marital issues (stress on relationship from father passing). You never divorced. Reconciled and wishes to return hence new application. Very basic, very simple.

First, it is her GC and she left before filing for ROC so has no extension letter that extended the duration of here GC which means she has no documentation to show hte airlines or the CBP that will allow here back into the US.

Second, ROC is filed in the US and she needs to go to her biometrics appointment IN the US.

Third, your situation does not have any bearing on her not filing for ROC. I am sorry you had to go thru such a situation, but all you had to do was sign the I-761 form and supply evidence of a bona fide marriage, but the petiton for ROC is her responsibility.

Forth, to now file an I-751 with the I-485, which you would need to do sonce her GC is expired she needs to be in the US How does she do that? Basically you are filing a spousal visa and then the AOS to a 10 year GC as you will have been married for more than two years.

The best course is to file the I-130 and go from there. The good news is that she had a K-1 visa and a GC. So when she receives her new GC upon entering the US it will be a 10 year one as the two of you will have been married for more than two years. So no need to file a ROC in the future. The ads along the side are random. I do not seach about immigration lawyers, but every now and then I see that blue box. I did ask one time "What is the average air speed of a swallow?" and I was taken to a waitng screen telling me I had 3 minutes to wait for a lawyer--I left before anybody gave me an answer or asked me it that was an African swallow or an English swallow.

Dave

I also don't want to go of topic but maybe use Google Chrome with Adblock plus extension.

Strips out the ads on this site. (Lets hope this isnt a TOS violation)

:thumbs:

Firefox with adblock works too!

Huh. well lets not stray too far into "Ads: how they are generated/how to get rid of them" Or the thread will be mod-ified. Personally I dont mind them. I understand every site to needs to generate revenue somehow to keep it running. Someone- somewhere is footing the bill to run (host) VJ. dont ask who - its been asked and never answered- So if Im going to online shop, then I might as well take the effort to click back through the ad link from VJ, a site a like and want to support and let them get back- even if its just pennies- something.. I enjoy the site. Theyve never solicited for money to keep it running, and besides the recent addition of the just answer lawyers link- actually in addition to that- they dont railroad you into an attny site. The just answer attny link that Knight enlightened most to, may be worded less then ideal- making it appear to be site run attnys and that can be addressed in the suggestion forum.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Thank you all for your replies on all the issues that we addressed here. I appreciate all the advice and I am just going to start over with an I-130 for an IR-1 visa. I may move to Russia in the meantime to be with my wife and daughter.

Edited by CyberKnight13

xe4sm4.png

cQuqm4.png

whoa whoa whoa now Knight- another twist and turn. You may set the record here for number of legitimate filing type inquiries in one post! :star:

Have you heard of DCF?

Again, not to get to overly complicated here but DCF is basically when YOU the USC reside overseas in a location that has an embassy that processes 130s. You file the 130 in person in the local embassy (for you Moscow) and it is processed there. It is quick as its processed and adjudicated there. You then have the interview for your spouse and you are done.

If you are a US based USC you send your 130 to the US based lockbox, it gets processed in the US, sent to NVC then embassy/consulate for interview.

So- you need to decide where is your HOME going to be based. Keep a US address on the applications and you are considered a US applicant and it goes the slow and ordinary route. IF you can move to Russia and show residency there- great! You can qualify for DCF and get the whole thing done (on average) much faster.

Here is a link for the Moscow Field Office, scroll through to find the info for _

Form I-130

U.S. Citizens who lawfully reside in the Russian Federation may file petitions for immediate relatives in person at the Moscow Field office during business hours.

http://www.uscis.gov/about-us/find-uscis-office/international-offices/russia-moscow-field-office

Here is the VJ guide to 130 when you reside overseas :

http://www.visajourney.com/content/dcf

Here is the VJ guide when YOU are in the US and spouse is in Russia (note the differences)]

http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide1

Review of someone doing DCF in Russia-

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/509200-dcf-moscow-experience/

(my keyboard is wonky today- sorry for the sloppy post)

Best of Luck and write up a review if you do decide to do DCF as they are sparse and very helpful to others...

Tourist visas usually do not count for DCF residency purposes.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Thank you all for your replies on all the issues that we addressed here. I appreciate all the advice and I am just going to start over with an I-130 for an IR-1 visa. I may move to Russia in the meantime to be with my wife and daughter.

lol. I write an essay, Hypnos writes a sentence and gives more technical info then I did.

move to Russia------> needs to be a resident to DCF not a tourist visiting. Silly technicalities can make different processes available. So Knight has to decide if he can and does want to in fact MOVE or simply VISIT during the visa process.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.