McBy

My USC Husband Does Not Want to Sign I-864

135 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

The paradox is that by marrying you he assumed a far greater financial risk than his signature on the I-864 will entail. My first suggestion would have been that he asked an immigration lawyer to explain to him what the I-864 entails but since that has already been done, my assumption is that his intentions towards you are less than honest.

His actions - of lack thereof - also create a problem for your son if you were to stay in the country illegally. At some point he would most likely have issues attending college and preparing for a life he may aspire if he should not have a greencard. It's a bad scenario for you and a terrible one for your kid. Your husband is being not only irresponsible but also cruel.

There is a common K-1 scam where USC husbands refuse to marry their K-1 brides or complete their AOS after marriage, which renders their foreign spouses dependent on them for everything. These are relegated to a life of abuse and the constant reminder of the threat of deportation, by their own husbands.

I would strongly urge that you try and reason with your husband once again and remind him he is putting the future of your son in jeopardy with his actions. If he still refuses to sign the document, file for divorce and consider getting counsel and self-petition for your AOS - check the link below:

http://www.uscis.gov/i-360

I can only hope your husband comes to his senses.

Makes a lot of sense, thank you. It's really weird. He seems to have a different mindset about it. Hoping that there is a way for us to stay after divorce, but I do not exactly know what to do. Might get harder for me and my son. So first option is to go back to our home country.

Edited by JohnR!

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thank you. The irony is that my husband is generally mellow. Not physically nor verbally abusive but he seems to have a different way of thinking. He seems really fine, good man... But it's just so weird that he would not sign the affidavit and then say that it would be my choice to leave.

Will check on the self petition but if it seems overwhelming I might just go home. Thank you very much.

The paradox is that by marrying you he assumed a far greater financial risk than his signature on the I-864 will entail. My first suggestion would have been that he asked an immigration lawyer to explain to him what the I-864 entails but since that has already been done, my assumption is that his intentions towards you are less than honest.

His actions - of lack thereof - also create a problem for your son if you were to stay in the country illegally. At some point he would most likely have issues attending college and preparing for a life he may aspire if he should not have a greencard. It's a bad scenario for you and a terrible one for your kid. Your husband is being not only irresponsible but also cruel.

There is a common K-1 scam where USC husbands refuse to marry their K-1 brides or complete their AOS after marriage, which renders their foreign spouses dependent on them for everything. These are relegated to a life of abuse and the constant reminder of the threat of deportation, by their own husbands.

I would strongly urge that you try and reason with your husband once again and remind him he is putting the future of your son in jeopardy with his actions. If he still refuses to sign the document, file for divorce and consider getting counsel and self-petition for your AOS - check the link below:

4/29 - I-129f Sent to TX Lockbox

4/30 - Received as per USPS tracking

5/5 - Received NOA1 thru txt and email

5/6 - Alien Registration Number Changed

5/9 - Received NOA1 by mail

5/12 - RFE

5/19 - Submitted docs for RFE

5/21 - RFE Response

6/2 - NOA2, yay!

6/7 - NOA2 hardcopy

6/12 - NVC Received, case number ok

6/13 - In Transit to Consulate

6/17 - "Ready" for interview

6/18 - Medical

7/1 - CFO Seminar

7/18 - Interview APPROVED

If he still refuses to sign the document, file for divorce and consider getting counsel and self-petition for your AOS - check the link below:

How does OP going to self-petition for AOS?

Sandranj had said before that USC refusing to file AOS is not ground for VAWA.

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

Filed: Timeline

The issues will start before college ... most states do not allow one to obtain a driver's license without legal residence. He won't have a SSN which allows work, so forget about the summer job. Without a legal, state-issued ID the boy won't even be able to sit for the SAT in many locales. Travel internationally won't be possible and travelling anywhere near the border could be trouble too.

I agree ... whilst the I864 language may seem harsh, it's really not much to worry about. If a couple were to stay married for, for example, five years or more, then there's far more to worry about a judge granting spousal support based on the marriage and other factors rather than the I864. And if the husband is concerned about the government coming after him for reimbursement of means-tested benefits, then he should provide what he needs to keep his wife and step-son fed, housed, healthy and educated.

Timeline

IMHO, that is a choice you should consider exercising. If not for your own sake, then for your son's. If he cares that much for you, he should have never married you.

Thank you. The irony is that my husband is generally mellow. Not physically nor verbally abusive but he seems to have a different way of thinking. He seems really fine, good man... But it's just so weird that he would not sign the affidavit and then say that it would be my choice to leave.

Will check on the self petition but if it seems overwhelming I might just go home. Thank you very much.

Edited by JohnR!

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

How does OP going to self-petition for AOS?

Sandranj had said before that USC refusing to file AOS is not ground for VAWA.

I am intrigued as well, on what basis?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

If he is worried about the financial implications, he probably doesn't understand that a good lawyer can take him to the cleaners with a litigious divorce..

The issues will start before college ... most states do not allow one to obtain a driver's license without legal residence. He won't have a SSN which allows work, so forget about the summer job. Without a legal, state-issued ID the boy won't even be able to sit for the SAT in many locales. Travel internationally won't be possible and travelling anywhere near the border could be trouble too.

I agree ... whilst the I864 language may seem harsh, it's really not much to worry about. If a couple were to stay married for, for example, five years or more, then there's far more to worry about a judge granting spousal support based on the marriage and other factors rather than the I864. And if the husband is concerned about the government coming after him for reimbursement of means-tested benefits, then he should provide what he needs to keep his wife and step-son fed, housed, healthy and educated.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Timeline

I would seek legal counsel for that. It's not a DIY process.

Actually it usually is.

But give us a clue as to how she would be eligible? Interested minds would like to know?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

I agree. The 90-day window should be for getting married -and- submitting AOS application.

This is an examples on why I think they should put a mandatory timeframe on when a person needs to file the AOS. It's unfair to put the beneficiary in this predicament. Petitioning someone to the US is a privilege (even if some say it's their right), and should come with responsibilities.

It's annoying when the petitioner is worried about the I-864 obligation, but it's OK to put the financial responsibility on the US resident. Might as well just find someone in country if that is such a big concern. Sorry OP about my rant.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Timeline

He is not compelling her to break the law.

He is not compelling her to break the law.

He is if he refuses to sign a document that in not doing so, will cause her and her child to be out of status -- especially if he believes it to be perfectly acceptable for her to be here illegally. He is basically twisting her arm here: ''no I won't sign X'' and I suspect if she obviously loves her husband is very well toying with her feelings here. He's making her choose between 'loving him' and doing as he wants her to (which will break the law) or leaving her in a complicated divorce situation. It's a little like emotional blackmail. Novedsac already explained why divorce would also be complicated for her too.

Edited by yuna628

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Timeline

She knows how long she has to be here legally, if he will not sponsor her then she leaves.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.