We Keep Receipts

Oklahoma Restaurant Owner Leaves Note Inviting Dumpster Diver to a Free Meal

21 posts in this topic

Ashley Jiron was outside her Warr Acres, Oklahoma, restaurant when she noticed that someone had been going through the dumpster.

“I had gone to the back to go put some trash in the dumpster, and I had noticed that some bags and containers with food were emptied and gone through,” Jiron told ABC News. “Immediately, of course, my heart sank, and I knew I needed to do something about it right away.”

Jiron, 30, who owns P.B. Jams, a peanut butter and jelly sandwich spot, took action and posted a note on the dumpster outside.

“Unfortunately, I was not able to see that person or have the chance to talk to them or invite them in, so I thought that leaving a note might do the trick for me and get them in for me,” she said.

The note invited the person in, no questions asked, for a free sandwich and vegetables. For Jiron, the gesture was personal.

“I am a mother of two little girls and I’ve struggled like a lot of single parents out there, and I’ve had to ask for state assistance food stamps and such,” she said. “Sometimes at the end of the month there wasn’t enough to feed me and my family. Something as simple as even just a peanut butter and jelly sandwich is very comforting to somebody and maybe even offer them a few words.”

https://gma.yahoo.com/oklahoma-restaurant-owner-leaves-note-inviting-dumpster-diver-160612549--abc-news-Recipes.html

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

So far, the person has not taken up Jiron on her offer, but the community has shown lots of support, with Jiron’s post on Facebook getting nearly 600 “likes” and over 200 “shares.”

They haven't even taken her up on the offer yet? How is this even an article?

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

Points to consider:

1 - What if the dumpster diver belongs to a class of citizens that Jiron's religion would have an objection serving?

2 - Where is the father of Jiron's kids?

3 - Where is Jiron's father?

4 - Where is the father of the dumpster diver?

There are so many unanswered questions....

On a serious note, it's people like these that put a big smile on my face on a otherwise dull uneventful Monday... I'll bet you Jiron could teach a thing or two to some people in Indiana...

Ashley Jiron was outside her Warr Acres, Oklahoma, restaurant when she noticed that someone had been going through the dumpster.

“I had gone to the back to go put some trash in the dumpster, and I had noticed that some bags and containers with food were emptied and gone through,” Jiron told ABC News. “Immediately, of course, my heart sank, and I knew I needed to do something about it right away.”

Jiron, 30, who owns P.B. Jams, a peanut butter and jelly sandwich spot, took action and posted a note on the dumpster outside.

“Unfortunately, I was not able to see that person or have the chance to talk to them or invite them in, so I thought that leaving a note might do the trick for me and get them in for me,” she said.

The note invited the person in, no questions asked, for a free sandwich and vegetables. For Jiron, the gesture was personal.

“I am a mother of two little girls and I’ve struggled like a lot of single parents out there, and I’ve had to ask for state assistance food stamps and such,” she said. “Sometimes at the end of the month there wasn’t enough to feed me and my family. Something as simple as even just a peanut butter and jelly sandwich is very comforting to somebody and maybe even offer them a few words.”

https://gma.yahoo.com/oklahoma-restaurant-owner-leaves-note-inviting-dumpster-diver-160612549--abc-news-Recipes.html

Edited by JohnR!

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

They haven't even taken her up on the offer yet? How is this even an article?

I think it's the gesture that's being highlighted here. But as John has pointed out, I'm sure we'll hear about the lazy bum looking for a handout soon enough..

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Timeline

I think it's the gesture that's being highlighted here. But as John has pointed out, I'm sure we'll hear about the lazy bum looking for a handout soon enough..

Seems to "human" a gesture to blow up across the internet. And as it stands its half a story.

Seems to "human" a gesture to blow up across the internet. And as it stands its half a story.

Human kindness is a rarity now a days. Years ago this wouldn't be a story since it was second nature to look out for your fellow man. But now, it's refreshing to see something like this.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Timeline

Human kindness is a rarity now a days. Years ago this wouldn't be a story since it was second nature to look out for your fellow man. But now, it's refreshing to see something like this.

It's the same as always. It just appears that way because of the hype in the media. Plus you're getting older and well, those darn kids yanno?

Very nice gesture. This is how America should be.

This happened in America. Sounds like America is that way.

It's the same as always. It just appears that way because of the hype in the media. Plus you're getting older and well, those darn kids yanno?

This happened in America. Sounds like America is that way.

Who you calling old? Just because I'm retired don't mean, oh wait, why am I upset again?

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Timeline

Who you calling old? Just because I'm retired don't mean, oh wait, why am I upset again?

The kids were playing on your lawn. Oh, and listening to that rap music. Edited by GandD