nane1104

What's their chance to make it?

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

I'd like to ask here for a woman I have talked to on a different social media platform. I am partly just curious as to what you guys say, and of course I want to give her the right info to her issue.

So, this lady is a german citizen and wants to apply for U.S. citizenship in order to petition her now boyfriend.

Boyfriend is Mexican and has been illegally in the US for 12 years. They want to get married so he can adjust his status and become legal.

She has this idea that with a lawyer, it will be all good, even mentioned friends who have done it, but she didn't give details on their exact circumstances.

I told her that 1. She can petition for a spouse as a LPR but I didn't know if it will be the same or if it would be a faster/easier process to do it as a U.S. citizen.

2. He would have to leave the country and then they can file for a spouses visa, but since he has been in the country illegally for so long, he would trigger a lifelong ban.

3. Ban could be possibly overcome with a waiver and the help of a really good lawyer.

Is this correct so far? What options do they have or is this plain fraud to even marry this guy in order to get him here legally?

Nadine & Kenneth

Our K-1 journey

02/06/2006 filed 129F

07/01/2007 received visa via "Deutsche Post"

08/27/2006 POE Dallas

->view my complete timeline

AOS, EAD and AP

12/6/2006 filed for AOS & EAD

1/05/2007 AOS transferred to California Service Center

01/16/2008 letter to Congressman

03/27/2008 GREENCARD arrived

ROC

02/02/2010 filed I-751

07/01/20010 Greencard arrived

Naturalization

12/08/2021 N-400 filed 

03/15/2022 Interview. Approved after "quality review"

05/11/2022 Oath Ceremony

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

It is possible to petition for him as an LPR, but I highly doubt it's easier/faster, I expect it's quite the opposite.

Is she eligible to apply for citizenship? On what grounds?

It's kind of messed up, but isn't fraud if they are really in love and intend to start a life together. Otherwise it is very much fraud.

Timeline

She is eligible for citizenship. She was married to a U.S. citizen before, now divorced and at some point met her now boyfriend.

Before she can apply for naturalization she needs to apply for the BBG ( it's a certificate that the german govt. issues in order to keep german citizenship), so it's a longer and more expensive process but she is totally willing to do that. She didn't even know she could petition a spouse as a LPR.

Nadine & Kenneth

Our K-1 journey

02/06/2006 filed 129F

08/27/2006 POE Dallas

AOS, EAD and AP

ROC

02/02/2010 filed I-751

Naturalization

12/08/2021 N-400 filed 

05/11/2022 Oath Ceremony

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I'd like to ask here for a woman I have talked to on a different social media platform. I am partly just curious as to what you guys say, and of course I want to give her the right info to her issue.

So, this lady is a german citizen and wants to apply for U.S. citizenship in order to petition her now boyfriend.

Boyfriend is Mexican and has been illegally in the US for 12 years. They want to get married so he can adjust his status and become legal.

She has this idea that with a lawyer, it will be all good, even mentioned friends who have done it, but she didn't give details on their exact circumstances.

I told her that 1. She can petition for a spouse as a LPR but I didn't know if it will be the same or if it would be a faster/easier process to do it as a U.S. citizen.

2. He would have to leave the country and then they can file for a spouses visa, but since he has been in the country illegally for so long, he would trigger a lifelong ban.

3. Ban could be possibly overcome with a waiver and the help of a really good lawyer.

Is this correct so far? What options do they have or is this plain fraud to even marry this guy in order to get him here legally?

Did he enter legally or illegally? That's really the only important question. If he entered illegally there's zero chance of anything happening for him and faces a lifetime ban.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

Did he enter legally or illegally? That's really the only important question. If he entered illegally there's zero chance of anything happening for him and faces a lifetime ban.

Oh this is true, I forgot about that. If he entered illegally, he can't AOS even as a spouse of a US citizen (tho I'm not sure of what happens exactly).

Also, I am assuming the German lady has been a resident for 5 years at this point? If divorced, you can't apply for citizenship under the 3-year rule.

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline

shauneg your information is completely WRONG. If the guy entered without inspection his wife once she becomes a US Citizen she can file form I130 and her husband must choose CONSULAR PROCESSING. He does not have to leave the USA until his waiver I601 A waiver is approved. He can file for the waiver just AFTER the I-130 approval.Once his waiver is approved, he MUST attend the interview in his home Country, but when he leaves he will have already the case approved. In the US Consulate abroad he will basically show his original documents, proof of her tax return etc.

All I601A waivers that I submitted took 4/5 months, and all were approved.

http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-601ainstr.pdf

Edited by sandranj

Timeline

This is not accurate. If someone marries a U.S. citizen even if they came here illegally there are a lot of circumstances where they will not make them go back, and if they do make them go back usually it is as a punishment and eventually are allowed back in the U.S.

Timeline

shauneg your information is completely WRONG. If the guy entered without inspection his wife once she becomes a US Citizen she can file form I130 and her husband must choose CONSULAR PROCESSING. He does not have to leave the USA until his waiver I601 A waiver is approved. He can file for the waiver just AFTER the I-130 approval.Once his waiver is approved, he MUST attend the interview in his home Country, but when he leaves he will have already the case approved. In the US Consulate abroad he will basically show his original documents, proof of her tax return etc.

All I601A waivers that I submitted took 4/5 months, and all were approved.

http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-601ainstr.pdf

They don't make everyone leave for interview. Why wouldn't they make the millions here they give amnesty to leave first? Each situation could be handled differently. Best to get a Lawyer when it isn't a normal situation.

Timeline

I guess I'm the only one reading it as they are going to get married just to adjust status. That's why I replied the way I did. If I took that the wrong way, sorry.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

It all depends.If he has DACA or if it happens DAPA then he can get AP use it, and then enter and adjust.

If it is a simple overstay then I 601A is also a route, pops back for a few days for his interview.

Matters little if she is a LPR or Citizen.

Pretty common scenario, some people DIY some use a Lawyer,her choice.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

I never answered the chances, assuming an overstay/illegal work then it would be very unusual that there would be a problem.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

I guess I'm the only one reading it as they are going to get married just to adjust status. That's why I replied the way I did. If I took that the wrong way, sorry.

Maybe I worded it wrong. They do not want to get married for the purpose of getting him legalized. Pretty sure they would get married anyway but they would start the immigration stuff once they are married. So, they need to be married but it's not heir only reason to do it.

Nadine & Kenneth

Our K-1 journey

02/06/2006 filed 129F

08/27/2006 POE Dallas

AOS, EAD and AP

ROC

02/02/2010 filed I-751

Naturalization

12/08/2021 N-400 filed 

05/11/2022 Oath Ceremony

Timeline

Maybe I worded it wrong. They do not want to get married for the purpose of getting him legalized. Pretty sure they would get married anyway but they would start the immigration stuff once they are married. So, they need to be married but it's not heir only reason to do it.

Fair enough, then sorry for the way I originally answered instead of seeking clarification first.

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline

Madown guy YOU ARE WRONG.The law is clear any alien married to an US Citizen that ENTERED WITHOUT INSPECTION once the l601A is approved the Alien must leave the Country an

I filed several l601A and all my clients attended the CR1 interview Abroad. I suggest you read the law before correcting others here.I.am an attorney since 1989 and believe me I would not post here if I didn't know the answer.

Edited by sandranj

Timeline

Madown guy YOU ARE WRONG.The law is clear any alien married to an US Citizen that ENTERED WITHOUT INSPECTION once the l601A is approved the Alien must leave the Country and attend the interview abroad.

I answered the post considering the case mentioned here,the ALIEN entered without inspection,that being said his interview for CR1 visa must be abroad,he does not.qualify for AOS.I am I filed several l601A and all my clients attended the CR1 interview. I suggest you read the law before correcting others here.I.am an attorney since 1989 and believe me I would not post here if I didn't know the answer.

There is PiP, seen a lot of those.

And as I mentioned Dacabilly means many can adjust in country after a trip out.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.