rob999

Buying a home when married vs before marriage

35 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Not sure about her situation, but we're closing on a house in a few weeks. My husband has been in the US since October 2013 (18 months) and had his green card less than a year (9 months...he had his EAD card before that). We started building his credit as soon as he landed (credit card with a low limit, another credit card when allowed, name on all bank accounts, electric bill). We're both on the mortgage loan (he may even be the primary) for this house. Sadly, none of his UK credit or previous home-ownership matters here, so we had to start over and build his credit.

I think the loan situation comes down to how quickly and effectively the immigrant builds credit and also on the lender. We have a good relationship with our bank and have done everything through them, partly so that this process would go smoothly.

That's great to know! I've been here since August 2014, I've been working since end of Jan 2015. We want to get a mortgage end of next year/ beginning of 2017 but i'm unsure about the length of employment and such for me, I should have my green card by October (1 year since application of AOS).

Did your husband have any issues with his employment length in the US? my husband just started a new job after a long length of unemployment so he's basically in the same boat as me in terms of employment history.

I just got a secured credit card and i'm building my credit history and credit score now.

05-18-2022: Filed N-400 online. Received online NOA and Biometrics re-use.

06-03-2022: Interview scheduled (online notice).

06-10-2022: Interview letter received via USPS.

07-11-2022: Naturalization Interview

Click here for my full timeline of K1, AOS, ROC, and Naturalization
:time:--> http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

He started his job in the US almost exactly a year ago. They just want to see steady income. They only require to see the last 45 days of pay stubs. They also wanted taxes from the last few years. 2012 he wasn't on my taxes, 2013 he was (but we filed the earned income exclusion), and 2014 was our first normal year for taxes (but he didn't even start work until Mid-March).

The credit cards and credit history are the most important.

I'm sure each situation and each lender is different, but we've had everything go really smoothly. My credit history is in good shape, and we've spent the last 18 months building his through 2 credit cards.

K1 Visa Process AOS Process

Mar 18 2013: I-129F mailed to CSC Nov 15 2013: I-485 with EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox

Sept 19 2013: Interview - Approved!! Jan 25 2014: EAD/AP Card Received

Oct 6 2013: POE - Chicago O'Hare June 2 2014: Permanent Resident Card Received!

Oct 27 2013: Wedding!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Not sure about her situation, but we're closing on a house in a few weeks. My husband has been in the US since October 2013 (18 months) and had his green card less than a year (9 months...he had his EAD card before that). We started building his credit as soon as he landed (credit card with a low limit, another credit card when allowed, name on all bank accounts, electric bill). We're both on the mortgage loan (he may even be the primary) for this house. Sadly, none of his UK credit or previous home-ownership matters here, so we had to start over and build his credit.

I think the loan situation comes down to how quickly and effectively the immigrant builds credit and also on the lender. We have a good relationship with our bank and have done everything through them, partly so that this process would go smoothly.

When you start building credit what's the starting number? Do they wait for 6 months or so before giving a credit rating?

I find it really hard to know how long it takes to develop credit, I guess with everyone's circumstances different it's hard to calculate. Is this a huge long haul to get to an average credit rating? Like a good few years? I have a UK AMEX card for 8 years and researched that I can transfer if to the USA with credit history, it's a small thing but it counts thankfully.

Sorry so many questions in one :)

K1 Timeline

November 21st 2013 - First Met

November 18th 2014 - I-129f Submitted

November 24th 2014 - NOA 1

May 22nd 2015 - NOA 2 - no RFE!

June 4th 2015 - Case Sent to NVC

June 6th 2015 - NVC receives case

June 15th 2015 - Case Sent to Embassy

June 16th 2015 - Phoned NVC and finally got case number (tried 12th June and had not been assigned)

June 16th 2015 - Medical booked

June 21st 2015 - Sent Packet "3" - DS 160 and readiness

June 25th 2015 - Embassy sends letter in receipt of receiving case

June 30th 2015 - Medical

July 28th 2015 - Interview - Approved!

August 3rd 2015 - Email request to collect from courier office (Went straight from "Ready" to "Issued" did not see AP in CEAC)

August 4th 2015 - Collected packet from Chancery Lane Courier Office

August 7th 2015 - Arrived in Houston and end of K1 journey :)

Adjustment of Status Timeline

August 10th 2015 - Applied for SSN, obtained SSN number next day

August 15th 2015 - SSN card arrived

August 20th 2015 - Married! :)

August 24th 2015 - sent packet to USCIS via FedEx [AOS, AP & EAD]

August 26th 2015 - packet received at USCIS

August 28th 2015 - NOA 1 for all three applications

September 15th 2015 - RFE - request 1040A, W2's was not enough

September 24th 2015 - Biometrics completed

September 28th 2015 - RFE response received by USCIS

October 27th 2015 - EAD approved

I am by no means the expert, but I believe we were told it takes about 6 months for it to even be reported on the credit report. Obviously the longer, the better. You have to be sure to use the credit card, too (about 20% of your limit) to build good credit. Having one and not using it is useless. And maxing it out is also detrimental.

It's hard as an immigrant. My husband's car is in my name since he couldn't get the loan (at the time he only had his EAD, and they understandably couldn't give him a loan with a temporary EAD). But it's nice to see that all of our immediate attention to building his credit are paying off. He has a bank CC, an airlines (through the bank) CC, and now a mortgage on a house. I think if we were buying a house in yet another year, his credit would be even better (although it's pretty good right now). Unfortunately with a baby coming in September, our 1 bedroom condo isn't going to cut it pretty soon!

Oh, and I've failed to mention that he (of course) has a temporary green card. We'll have to do ROC in 2016. That was never even mentioned through the mortgage process. Maybe because I'm on the loan, too, but the bank didn't seem the least bit bothered about his immigration status.

K1 Visa Process AOS Process

Mar 18 2013: I-129F mailed to CSC Nov 15 2013: I-485 with EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox

Sept 19 2013: Interview - Approved!! Jan 25 2014: EAD/AP Card Received

Oct 6 2013: POE - Chicago O'Hare June 2 2014: Permanent Resident Card Received!

Oct 27 2013: Wedding!

When you start building credit what's the starting number? Do they wait for 6 months or so before giving a credit rating?

I find it really hard to know how long it takes to develop credit, I guess with everyone's circumstances different it's hard to calculate. Is this a huge long haul to get to an average credit rating? Like a good few years? I have a UK AMEX card for 8 years and researched that I can transfer if to the USA with credit history, it's a small thing but it counts thankfully.

Sorry so many questions in one :)

I don't know the exact amount of time, you may wish to call the credit bureaus to see if there's any information they can share with you. For me, I was not able to carry across my financial history for Australia even though I was using global institutions i.e. HSBC and Amex. I am hoping Amex has changed their policies, then you should be in better shape.

It took me almost 6 months to get my first "credit card", it was a Macy's store card and they gave me a $200 limit, I basically used the card, and immediately paid it off each time. I also built credit through a car loan, I chose to get the loan and slowly pay it off in order to build history of on time payments, so in essence, the interest on the loan was what I paid to get my credit score.

In terms of getting a mortgage, the lender we worked with was not concerned with my LPR status, but what they had said was since we are getting the mortgage together, they will base the interest rate on the lower credit score, which was mine, since I had less than 7 years of history. This is the lender's way to charge you more, but we didn't have the option of only using my husband's income. If you are going down this path, please make sure you know which factor will influence your interest rate the most, as an average credit rating will not get you the best deals.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.