Howeetest D

Importing a British Staffordshire Bull Terrier!!

23 posts in this topic

I've wanted a toller forever... but they're rare, especially here.

There are breeds that require training by people who know, and others that make okay family pets without much knowledge. Either way, the dog learns who to be from it's owners or lack there of.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

There's absolutely no scientific or statistical evidence to back up that it is the breed. All the evidence points to owners being the problem, once you control for handler experience. In fact, most studies of pit bull bites boost their numbers by including only bites by pure breds of other breeds under say, golden retrievers or anything but pit, and all pit-types and mixes significantly resembling pits under breeds by pits.

Agree to that. ExGF has 3 large pitbulls -80-90 lbs each- that I care of when she travels, never a problem; but the key here is that I'm experienced training dogs and she has also set the rules of the house (so dogs understand the rules). No problems even when I bring over my poodles and terriers.

As the poster says, a matter of ensuring the human is the lead of the pack and dogs -and human- understand that.

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

If you dont already have the Staffy in the UK why dont you rescue a US dog instead. Rather than funding a breeder and then having the dog suffer the travel wouldn't it be better to just help out an animal who is already here?

Agree to that. ExGF has 3 large pitbulls -80-90 lbs each- that I care of when she travels, never a problem; but the key here is that I'm experienced training dogs and she has also set the rules of the house (so dogs understand the rules). No problems even when I bring over my poodles and terriers.

As the poster says, a matter of ensuring the human is the lead of the pack and dogs -and human- understand that.

I dont think the problem is so much the temperament of the Pit its more so the strength. A nasty little Chihuahua isnt as dangerous as an aggressive Pit. So agreed that you cant blame temperament entirely on breed but you cant forget that there is some risk in owning a dog thats stronger than you.

Submitted k1 visa petition - January 20th,2013NOA1 - February 2nd 2013NOA2 - June 20th 2013Medical - August 14th 2013<p>Interview - October 4th
Moved to California January 8th smile.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Part of the reason pits are a problem is the reports of how they lock their jaws when biting and stories of how they hang on even when being forcibly attacked to remove them form their target. I was at the local human association browsing for a next dog as my 13 year old cattle mix is winding down and 3/4 of the dogs there are pit or pit mixes. Most of these animals will be put down. It is sad that any breed has been so overbreed for irresponsible owners.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

If you dont already have the Staffy in the UK why dont you rescue a US dog instead. Rather than funding a breeder and then having the dog suffer the travel wouldn't it be better to just help out an animal who is already here?

I dont think the problem is so much the temperament of the Pit its more so the strength. A nasty little Chihuahua isnt as dangerous as an aggressive Pit. So agreed that you cant blame temperament entirely on breed but you cant forget that there is some risk in owning a dog thats stronger than you.

100% with you. The risk is real, but it is the reponsibility of the human to understand that risk and act accordingly.

Each of these pitbulls can easily rip me apart, and it is not that I have to be on guard, it is that they recognize that I'm the "lead" of the pack and of course I behave as such.

Pits are not agreesive per se, but at same time, the human needs to know what he/she is doing. After all, dogs might be domesticated but the wolf instinct is there

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

but that's true of any dog larger than about forty or fifty pounds. They have four feet for traction and a low centre of gravity .

Part of the reason pits are a problem is the reports of how they lock their jaws when biting and stories of how they hang on even when being forcibly attacked to remove them form their target. I was at the local human association browsing for a next dog as my 13 year old cattle mix is winding down and 3/4 of the dogs there are pit or pit mixes. Most of these animals will be put down. It is sad that any breed has been so overbreed for irresponsible owners.

locking jaws is a complete and total myth. There is no difference between the jaw structure of a pit bull and any other dog. Most shepherd types have a much higher bite pressure capacity than a pit.

Met in 2010 on a forum for a mutual interest. Became friends.
2011: Realized we needed to evaluate our status as friends when we realized we were talking about raising children together.

2011/2012: Decided we were a couple sometime in, but no possibility of being together due to being same sex couple.

June 26, 2013: DOMA overturned. American married couples ALL have the same federal rights at last! We can be a family!

June-September, 2013: Discussion about being together begins.

November 13, 2013: Meet in person to see if this could work. It's perfect. We plan to elope to Boston, MA.

March 13, 2014 Married!

May 9, 2014: Petition mailed to USCIS

May 12, 2014: NOA1.
October 27, 2014: NOA2. (5 months, 2 weeks, 1 day after NOA1)
October 31, 2014: USCIS ships file to NVC (five days after NOA2) Happy Halloween for us!

November 18, 2014: NVC receives our case (22 days after NOA2)

December 17, 2014: NVC generates case number (50 days after NOA2)

December 19, 2014: Receive AOS bill, DS-261. Submit DS-261 (52 days after NOA2)

December 20, 2014: Pay AOS Fee

January 7, 2015: Receive, pay IV Fee

January 10, 2015: Complete DS-260

January 11, 2015: Send AOS package and Civil Documents
March 23, 2015: Case Complete at NVC. (70 days from when they received docs to CC)

May 6, 2015: Interview at Montréal APPROVED!

May 11, 2015: Visa in hand! One year less one day from NOA1.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

100% with you. The risk is real, but it is the reponsibility of the human to understand that risk and act accordingly.

Each of these pitbulls can easily rip me apart, and it is not that I have to be on guard, it is that they recognize that I'm the "lead" of the pack and of course I behave as such.

Pits are not agreesive per se, but at same time, the human needs to know what he/she is doing. After all, dogs might be domesticated but the wolf instinct is there

humans absolutely need to know what to do with dogs in any given situation. I urge every dog owner to read up on positive reinforcement training and only use these techniques with their dogs. Pack mentality and dynamic has been largely disproven by animal behaviourist in any application with domestic canines and is actually on its way out with wild ones, too. Don't listen to Cesar Milan, whatever you do. His techniques reinforce canine fear and may lead to dogs becoming silent biters, meaning dogs who are afraid to indicate that they are afraid, so lose all their warning signs and simply 'snap' with no warning at all. Positive reinforcement puts a heavy emphasis on understanding canine body language and calming signals so you can understand your dog's individual needs.

Met in 2010 on a forum for a mutual interest. Became friends.
2011: Realized we needed to evaluate our status as friends when we realized we were talking about raising children together.

2011/2012: Decided we were a couple sometime in, but no possibility of being together due to being same sex couple.

June 26, 2013: DOMA overturned. American married couples ALL have the same federal rights at last! We can be a family!

June-September, 2013: Discussion about being together begins.

November 13, 2013: Meet in person to see if this could work. It's perfect. We plan to elope to Boston, MA.

March 13, 2014 Married!

May 9, 2014: Petition mailed to USCIS

May 12, 2014: NOA1.
October 27, 2014: NOA2. (5 months, 2 weeks, 1 day after NOA1)
October 31, 2014: USCIS ships file to NVC (five days after NOA2) Happy Halloween for us!

November 18, 2014: NVC receives our case (22 days after NOA2)

December 17, 2014: NVC generates case number (50 days after NOA2)

December 19, 2014: Receive AOS bill, DS-261. Submit DS-261 (52 days after NOA2)

December 20, 2014: Pay AOS Fee

January 7, 2015: Receive, pay IV Fee

January 10, 2015: Complete DS-260

January 11, 2015: Send AOS package and Civil Documents
March 23, 2015: Case Complete at NVC. (70 days from when they received docs to CC)

May 6, 2015: Interview at Montréal APPROVED!

May 11, 2015: Visa in hand! One year less one day from NOA1.

humans absolutely need to know what to do with dogs in any given situation. I urge every dog owner to read up on positive reinforcement training and only use these techniques with their dogs. Pack mentality and dynamic has been largely disproven by animal behaviourist in any application with domestic canines and is actually on its way out with wild ones, too. Don't listen to Cesar Milan, whatever you do. His techniques reinforce canine fear and may lead to dogs becoming silent biters, meaning dogs who are afraid to indicate that they are afraid, so lose all their warning signs and simply 'snap' with no warning at all. Positive reinforcement puts a heavy emphasis on understanding canine body language and calming signals so you can understand your dog's individual needs.

I don't watch Cesar Milan or pay much attention to people claiming expertise in animal behaviour...I base my post on 40+ experience in training dogs -that others gave up on, and not as a profit in most cases; I'm just quite good at it- for a long time, from police to drug sniffing to family dogs. Won't claim to be an expert or even to have a "method", only that I've seen a lot and experience a lot. I can also say that there are as many 'methods' as trainers there are. And everyone swear by theirs.

Pack mentality is a reality in any dog IMHO -and that is first hand, though I can concede that is very deep and dormant in some breeds/dogs, I don't care what those behaviourists will say; When I'm with several large dogs the last thing I could possibly need is a theory.

Never been bitten, and never had a dog trained that turned on their owner. Police dogs are -among other things- trained to defend the police and attack on command, to subdue an unsub of course.

Your description of 'heavy emphasis on understanding canine body language' is in line to what I do, didn't know it had a name. i just call it 'know your dog really well' the bigger the dog he more 'well' you need to know him/her.

Now, How we ended up discussing animal/dog training is what makes VJ so fascinating; though I guess a case could be made of 'dog immigration' B-)

Edited by Gosia & Tito

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.