monicagc

I was just approved k-1 visa but I need help

23 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Costa Rica
Timeline

Hi everyone I was approved today!!! But I have a question,when I got approved the man who interviewed me took away my visitor visa which is b-2 I am completely shocked cause I just received this visa last year for 10 years and now I will no longer have it, is this something legal?he was very rude and I really was surprised when I heard him say you are approved but you will no longer have visitor visa

Any help will be appreciated

Your K-1 overrules the need for a visit type class of visa. With the K-1 the purpose is to marry, stay and adjust your status.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

You will no longer need the visitor visa. With your K-1 you enter the US and then after you AOS, you'll be a permanent resident, so won't need it anymore.

Mar 2014 - Married

5/7/14?? - Attorney mailed paperwork

5/15/14 DHS cashed check

5/19/14 - NOA1 received with PD 5/12/14

10/17/14 - NOA2 received

10/28/14 - Email received that file has been sent to NVC

11/13/14 - NVC received file

12/10/14 - NVC Assigned case number

12/12/14 - AOS Fee Invoiced

12/13/14 - Submit email to NVC to remove attorney as DS-261 Agent

12/16/14 - AOS Fee showing as Paid

12/17/14 - IV Fee invoiced

12/20/14 - IV fee available and paid

12/27/14 - DS-260 submitted

1/2/15 - AOS and IV packages sent to NVC

1/5/15 - USPS delivered packages to NVC

1/7/15 - NVC scanned in packages. Let the countdown begin...

1/30/15 - FINALLY got a reply to my email to remove the attorney from the DS-261

3/9/15 - Called NVC and they have checklisted us for an "incorrect" decree absolute from the UK, even though it is the legal official document. Have requested a supervisor review.

4/28/15 - Called and NVC said supervisor had reviewed and now claimed that the decree absolute was not included. After disagreeing with the less than helpful lady on the phone, and her not being able to get the review time right. (She kept changing her story between 42 days and 30 days).

4/30/15 - Sent the same copy of the decree absolute to the NVC from the UK, highlighting the "decree absolute" wording with a letter stating that this is the only document provided by the UK government.

5/6/15 - Scan date for checklist received.

6/5/15 - Case complete!!!

6/12/15 - Called and interview is scheduled for July 1!

6/14/15 - Received email with interview date and instructions.

6/19/15 - Case showing as ready on CEAC.

7/1/15 - Approved at interview!!!

7/6/15 - CEAC changed to Administrative Processing

7/7/15 - CEAC changed to Issued!!!!!

7/10/15 - Passport and packet delivered!

7/29/15 - Husband entered with visa at Dallas/Fort Worth airport

9/29/15 - GC delivered!!!

5/4/17 - ROC packet sent via USPS

5/9/17 - Tracking shows delivered

5/17/17 - Check cashed

5/19/17 - NOA1 received with date of 5/8/17

5/27/17 - Biometrics appt received 6/8/17

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

Ahm... why do you want the visitor visa? if You-re going to live in the united states. :idea: It is completely legal.

hhahah thats tthe logic. (rude mode) jajajajaj :)

:luv:If you're tearing down my world, please just try to do it gently.There is love inside.... (L)

Timeline

Thank you guys for replying!!! I understand I don't need cause I will live in United States, but I have a truthful relationship with my future husband and I know there is always a chance it might not work and if it doesn't work with my husband I will have to come back to my country and I will have to do visitor visa all over again, even if I live with my husband and everything goes well, I just felt it was my visa and they shouldn't take it away until I actually get my status change, that's all

But than you guys

Thank you guys for replying!!! I understand I don't need cause I will live in United States, but I have a truthful relationship with my future husband and I know there is always a chance it might not work and if it doesn't work with my husband I will have to come back to my country and I will have to do visitor visa all over again, even if I live with my husband and everything goes well, I just felt it was my visa and they shouldn't take it away until I actually get my status change, that's all

But than you guys

The moment you were issued the k1 visa, your tourist visa was cancelled.

The k1 is a non immigrant visa with immigrant intent so you no longer need a visitor visa.

It wasn't your visa, it was a gift.

Uscis don't care if your relationship will or will not work out.

Those are the rules.

My Name is Daisy, I am British, I say things bluntly and to the point.
London K1, A complete guide -- >http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/474161-london-k1-a-complete-guide/
I am Daisy the Beneficiary, These are my views!
U.K. k1 visa, approved 2014.

NOA1: 20/03/2014

NOA2: 11/04/2014 (22 days)

Interview: 09/07/2014 (111 days)

D.O.E 29/07/2014

Married 29/08/2014

AOS from K1/K3 Guide -->http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos

AOS/EAD/AP Sent: 12/11/2014

Delivered at Chicago LB:15/11/2014

NOA1 (all 3): 17/11/2014

NOA1 (all 3) hardcopy: 24/11/2014(Notice date 20th)

Bio-metrics App letter: 28/11/2014(Notice date 21st)

Bio-metrics App Cleveland Ohio: 10/12/2014

EAD/AP:Approved/production 31/01/2015(update 2/2/1015) (80 days)

Combo Card: Mailed 5/2/2015

Combo Card: Delivered 6/2/2015AP

NOA: Approval Notice received 7/2/2015

Interview waiver letter: received 23/2/15 dated: 18/2/2015

Green Card: APPROVED 31/07/2015

(Remember, all my dates are British layout.. the proper layout!)

Filed: Timeline
even if I live with my husband and everything goes well, I just felt it was my visa and they shouldn't take it away until I actually get my status change, that's all

hmm okay well in your terms of thinking your status did change from a B to a K? Does that make it easier to understand?

You applied for a B visa right/ you filled out some papers, paid a fee, went through the process, it was short but you were approved and given the B last year. It was valid for 10 years.

Same thing with the K. You applied, filled out forms, paid a fee, went through the process, it took a lot longer then the B, and its only valid for a short time to travel on, its a one time use, lots of conditions etc etc you know the drill.

So you did change from a B to a K. I know ideally I know you would have like to have waited until youd changed into a LPR before losing your B but thats not how it works.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Did you express your concerns to the CO?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Everyone needs to stop being PC. Admit this is one of the more bizarre complaints you have seen. He/she didn't have to file for the K1. If they were unsure about the relationship they could've postponed the petition until they were absolutely sure they wanted to live in the United States together. Regardless, a greencard > tourist visa. You are granted more privileges. I don't understand the complaints unless you barely know your fiance and are expressing doubts that the relationship will last past 90 days and the potential AOS. Anyways, I digress.

Edited by pdking5000

I-129F: Sent 9/5/2014
I-129F: Arrived at Lewisville 9/8/2014
I-129F: NOA1 Text message/mail 9/11/2014
I-129F: Alien Registration Number Changed 9/16/2014
I-129F: Request to correct on document or notice assigned to an officer for response 10/25/2014
I-129F: Name Change request made 10/31/2014
I-129F: NOA 2 Text message/mail 4/6/2015

I-129F: NOA 2 Hardcopy 4/9/2015

I-129F: Sent to NVC 4/13/2015

Timeline

It's not about being unsure it was just a question about if it was legal that's all I was completely shocked they took it away.

Actually my relationship with my fiance is completely different I lived with my fiance in my country for 2 years but he HAD TO move back to United States. So trust me it's not about insecurities. I just thought the guy was being rude, but since it's legal I understand now. And I understand uscis don't care if my relationship works or not, they just take away visitors visa without changing status first.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

It's not about being unsure it was just a question about if it was legal that's all I was completely shocked they took it away.

Actually my relationship with my fiance is completely different I lived with my fiance in my country for 2 years but he HAD TO move back to United States. So trust me it's not about insecurities. I just thought the guy was being rude, but since it's legal I understand now. And I understand uscis don't care if my relationship works or not, they just take away visitors visa without changing status first.

no worries. remember, the K1 is a one-entry visa. You are supposed to marry within 90 days and later file for adjustment of status. If you need to go back to Costa Rica while waiting for your green card make sure before file for Advanced Parole so that you can leave the country while your status is pending.

I-129F: Sent 9/5/2014
I-129F: Arrived at Lewisville 9/8/2014
I-129F: NOA1 Text message/mail 9/11/2014
I-129F: Alien Registration Number Changed 9/16/2014
I-129F: Request to correct on document or notice assigned to an officer for response 10/25/2014
I-129F: Name Change request made 10/31/2014
I-129F: NOA 2 Text message/mail 4/6/2015

I-129F: NOA 2 Hardcopy 4/9/2015

I-129F: Sent to NVC 4/13/2015

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Sorry you got a rude officer, as the US tax payer, pays them! with him working at the embassy. Not USCIS, which is "supposed to be" self sufficient.,.,.,which I doubt! Hahaha, they do not approve enough petitions, at TSC to make any money!

No worries, you have a K-1, and is the thing you seek, and I hope the rest of your journey goes well.

Congrats, and welcome to the USA! I hope you are happy.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Hi everyone I was approved today!!! But I have a question,when I got approved the man who interviewed me took away my visitor visa which is b-2 I am completely shocked cause I just received this visa last year for 10 years and now I will no longer have it, is this something legal?he was very rude and I really was surprised when I heard him say you are approved but you will no longer have visitor visa

Any help will be appreciated

of course it's legal, and why was it rude of him? I'm dumbfounded that you are worried of losing the B2 in "in case" it doesn't work out with your fiance. Way to be optimistic. NOT

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

Not only legal - it's procedure. And, I expect, also not rude. Just procedure. Most likely, the interaction was rather impersonal, but some people may construe that as rude... people are so quick to take everything personally.

Edited by GurkenSalat

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.