Not a Tailor

Religious Population Projections for 2050

36 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Found an interesting report here.

The report in full is about what changes in the religious landscape of the planet we can expect to see in the next few decades--and why. Much of the why is 'certain religions have higher birth rates while other religions have higher rates of people leaving the religion to become 'unaffiliated' with religion.' Regional changes (as opposed to global changes in populations) are expected to be largely due to migration. It should be noted that the survey did not include all ethnically Jewish people under the heading of Jewish, only those who actually identified as religiously Jewish.

In North America, Muslims and followers of “other religions” are the fastest-growing religious groups. In the United States, for example, the share of the population that belongs to other religions is projected to more than double – albeit from a very small base – rising from 0.6% to 1.5%.9Christians are projected to decline from 78% of the U.S. population in 2010 to 66% in 2050, while the unaffiliated are expected to rise from 16% to 26%. And by the middle of the 21st century, the United States is likely to have more Muslims (2.1% of the population) than people who identify with the Jewish faith (1.4%).10

Exciting for those of us who are atheists--in the next 40 years in North America, we can expect to become a quarter of the population, enough to actually have a say in some of the things that are happening, politically. We'll still be a minority, but we'll be a minority whose interests can be somewhat represented on a political level.

There will also be some religious switching, globally, that will have some interesting effects--those of us unaffiliated with religion will gain the most members due to switching while Christianity will lose the most.

Over the coming decades, Christians are expected to experience the largest net losses from switching. Globally, about 40 million people are projected to switch into Christianity, while 106 million are projected to leave, with most joining the ranks of the religiously unaffiliated.

All told, the unaffiliated are expected to add 97 million people and lose 36 million via switching, for a net gain of 61 million by 2050. Modest net gains through switching also are expected for Muslims (3 million), adherents of folk religions (3 million) and members of other religions (2 million). Jews are expected to experience a net loss of about 300,000 people due to switching, while Buddhists are expected to lose nearly 3 million.

A net of 61 million people leaving religion sounds good to me, I have to say. It's a drop in the giant bucket, but it's a drop in the right direction, I think.

Edited by Not a Tailor

Met in 2010 on a forum for a mutual interest. Became friends.
2011: Realized we needed to evaluate our status as friends when we realized we were talking about raising children together.

2011/2012: Decided we were a couple sometime in, but no possibility of being together due to being same sex couple.

June 26, 2013: DOMA overturned. American married couples ALL have the same federal rights at last! We can be a family!

June-September, 2013: Discussion about being together begins.

November 13, 2013: Meet in person to see if this could work. It's perfect. We plan to elope to Boston, MA.

March 13, 2014 Married!

May 9, 2014: Petition mailed to USCIS

May 12, 2014: NOA1.
October 27, 2014: NOA2. (5 months, 2 weeks, 1 day after NOA1)
October 31, 2014: USCIS ships file to NVC (five days after NOA2) Happy Halloween for us!

November 18, 2014: NVC receives our case (22 days after NOA2)

December 17, 2014: NVC generates case number (50 days after NOA2)

December 19, 2014: Receive AOS bill, DS-261. Submit DS-261 (52 days after NOA2)

December 20, 2014: Pay AOS Fee

January 7, 2015: Receive, pay IV Fee

January 10, 2015: Complete DS-260

January 11, 2015: Send AOS package and Civil Documents
March 23, 2015: Case Complete at NVC. (70 days from when they received docs to CC)

May 6, 2015: Interview at Montréal APPROVED!

May 11, 2015: Visa in hand! One year less one day from NOA1.

I just read something on CNN to this effect saying that by 2050, one out of four people will be Muslim. I know that's enough for folks to start stocking up on the ammo.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Timeline

I just read something on CNN to this effect saying that by 2050, one out of four people will be Muslim. I know that's enough for folks to start stocking up on the ammo.

For shame, Marvin, I made this thread to discuss the growth of atheism! Why must every thread be about the Muslim Threat™?

</silly>

Yeah, it's kind of sad. The best way to be able to avoid Muslim extremism would be to welcome Muslims with open arms. Extremism tends to sprout up most effectively when the extremist leaders can hold up examples of how much X group hates you. Take away the things they can use to hold up and you battle extremism more effectively than any other method.

One of the largest contributors to the growth of religious extremism in the Middle East has not actually been religion itself, but the destruction of social services and infrastructures by US and Russian sponsored forces during the proxy wars that took place during the Cold War in the region. Best way to combat it would be to stop sending bombs and start sending medical supplies. Open hospitals, send doctors, save lives. Send food and drink. Stop sending combat troops. It would save money and lives and battle the extremists more effectively than any number of bombs.

2011: Realized we needed to evaluate our status as friends when we realized we were talking about raising children together.

2011/2012: Decided we were a couple sometime in, but no possibility of being together due to being same sex couple.

June 26, 2013: DOMA overturned. American married couples ALL have the same federal rights at last! We can be a family!

November 13, 2013: Meet in person to see if this could work. It's perfect. We plan to elope to Boston, MA.

March 13, 2014 Married!

October 31, 2014: USCIS ships file to NVC (five days after NOA2) Happy Halloween for us!

March 23, 2015: Case Complete at NVC. (70 days from when they received docs to CC)

For shame, Marvin, I made this thread to discuss the growth of atheism! Why must every thread be about the Muslim Threat™?

</silly>

Yeah, it's kind of sad. The best way to be able to avoid Muslim extremism would be to welcome Muslims with open arms. Extremism tends to sprout up most effectively when the extremist leaders can hold up examples of how much X group hates you. Take away the things they can use to hold up and you battle extremism more effectively than any other method.

One of the largest contributors to the growth of religious extremism in the Middle East has not actually been religion itself, but the destruction of social services and infrastructures by US and Russian sponsored forces during the proxy wars that took place during the Cold War in the region. Best way to combat it would be to stop sending bombs and start sending medical supplies. Open hospitals, send doctors, save lives. Send food and drink. Stop sending combat troops. It would save money and lives and battle the extremists more effectively than any number of bombs.

Didn't you know? I make every thread about me. Perks of being oppressed. :goofy:

You're right of course. But none of that help talk here. You know the only way we get things done is blowing shyt up and cracking open a beer afterwards...

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Timeline

Didn't you know? I make every thread about me. Perks of being oppressed. :goofy:

You're right of course. But none of that help talk here. You know the only way we get things done is blowing shyt up and cracking open a beer afterwards...

Better to punish than to prevent through assistance. We can't create a welfare state!

March 13, 2014 Married!

You turned an atheism thread into race and Islam.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Better to punish than to prevent through assistance. We can't create a welfare state!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You turned an atheism thread into race and Islam.

Of course, I learned from the best...

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Timeline

Assuming that everything that's true today will be true in 35 years time... Fairly large assumption.

Well, obviously. The Christian right wing could get more power and cause a surge in atheists.

I'm not particularly happy about these projections, however, as long as others don't try to force their way nor will on me i'm fine.

I've got no desire to force my way on anyone, but I am hoping that my group will eventually have enough of a representation to be seen as valid enough not to have as many others knocking on my door to try to force their way on me.

March 13, 2014 Married!

Timeline

I hope bacon won't be banned in the future....

God, me neither. All the more reason to ensure that the separation of church and state is maintained!

March 13, 2014 Married!

Well, obviously. The Christian right wing could get more power and cause a surge in atheists.

I've got no desire to force my way on anyone, but I am hoping that my group will eventually have enough of a representation to be seen as valid enough not to have as many others knocking on my door to try to force their way on me.

Who knocking on your door? Jehovah Witnesses? They knock on my door too. You just tell them to go away.

I hope bacon won't be banned in the future....

It should. Anything that gives you high blood pressure, heart disease and obesity should be banned.

Chicken pizza is delicious.

Timeline

Who knocking on your door? Jehovah Witnesses? They knock on my door too. You just tell them to go away.

It should. Anything that gives you high blood pressure, heart disease and obesity should be banned.

Chicken pizza is delicious.

The Witnesses, the mormons and about three other churches in the area that keep trying to pull me in with offers of parties that turn out to be church services. Parties good, church bad, in my lifestyle.

And hey now, do not diss on the bacon. Salted pork products are the traditional foods of my people (my mum's a maritimer).

March 13, 2014 Married!

The Witnesses, the mormons and about three other churches in the area that keep trying to pull me in with offers of parties that turn out to be church services. Parties good, church bad, in my lifestyle.

And hey now, do not diss on the bacon. Salted pork products are the traditional foods of my people (my mum's a maritimer).

I haven't had a mormon to knock on my door before. And I am always weary of a stranger inviting me to a party.

Pork run in my family too. Ever heard of chitlins? yuck! the stench is permanently in my nose forever.