Mag&Chef

Any issue with importing your Kia to usa?

21 posts in this topic

Filed: F-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

this really depends on where you're importing to, trying to import to California is complicated

when we crossed the Vancouver border the officer said the Kia letter wasn't sufficient since it didn't have US safety standards on it, we tried to import to California and though it worked until they later notified us that the paperwork wasn't right for the same reason

http://icsw.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/Active%20RI%20listJune2015.pdf

speaking to people that handle this from the list above I get different answers, some say TPMS is critical, some don't mention it

I'm told I can get a 'letter of conformity' for $900, going to do this and hope it works. Otherwise I don't think we have any choice but to drive it back to Vancouver to sell, a big hassle for sure.

Filed: F-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

There was no mention of a TMPS in my letter from KIA. Maybe my car doesn't even have it since it is just a basic small sedan, a Forte. My experience is from Oct., 2013 at the border in Detroit and the inspection and licensing in FL which is very friendly to their huge number of visiting Canadians. California would have different criteria.

Yes it does depend on the state and eventhe county. For instance all the counties surrounding Denver require emissions tests every couple of years. But should you head to a different county, they may not require it.

In regards to tpms however it has been federally mandatory since 2007 in the USA.

"While the TPMS is not a requirement in Canada, the U.S. Federal Regulations require that all new light vehicles sold in the U.S. since September 2007 be equipped with a TPMS. Some manufacturers do offer TPMS on vehicles sold in Canada as either standard or optional equipment. To find out whether the TPMS as equipped conforms to U.S. federal standards or the manufacturers own standards, please refer to the owners manual or contact the dealership."

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/motorvehiclesafety/roadsafety-1158.htm

This is not something you can skirt around. If you were able to import, then either your car has them or someone didnt import the car correctly.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

• 1 year later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

this really depends on where you're importing to, trying to import to California is complicated

when we crossed the Vancouver border the officer said the Kia letter wasn't sufficient since it didn't have US safety standards on it, we tried to import to California and though it worked until they later notified us that the paperwork wasn't right for the same reason

http://icsw.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/Active%20RI%20listJune2015.pdf

speaking to people that handle this from the list above I get different answers, some say TPMS is critical, some don't mention it

I'm told I can get a 'letter of conformity' for $900, going to do this and hope it works. Otherwise I don't think we have any choice but to drive it back to Vancouver to sell, a big hassle for sure.

How did that work out for you? I have the same trouble: Kia Soul 2014 fully loaded bought new in Calgary and importing to California. California DMV won't accept the letter from Kia Canada because it states only Canadian compliance and not US.

Thank you for your help and for posting here. Once resolved I will post a full rundown of my solution so that others can benefit.

• 5 years later...
On 12/21/2016 at 3:06 PM, loopy1138 said:

How did that work out for you? I have the same trouble: Kia Soul 2014 fully loaded bought new in Calgary and importing to California. California DMV won't accept the letter from Kia Canada because it states only Canadian compliance and not US.

Thank you for your help and for posting here. Once resolved I will post a full rundown of my solution so that others can benefit.

Hi there, how did you finally dealt with it? What did they accept or not at the end? thank you so much!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

The OP hasn't logged on to VJ for 3+ years, so a response is highly unlikely.  If the issue is important, please start your own thread.

Old thread is now locked.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.