freedavid

Marring in the Philippines

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Im hopping to glean as much info about getting married in the Philippines as I can. I am an American and have been seeing a Filipino woman for the last few years. Do to circumstances beyond my control a K-1 visa is not the best option for us. So what I need to know is, if I go to the Philippines how long will it take me to get married? Can it be done in a 10 day trip, that kind of thing. And what is the proses, home much will it cost me? Is it better to do it in Manila or her province? Or any thing else I have not covered, or just don't know about?

Thanks'

David

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Welcome to the forum.

Here is some info from the USEM: http://manila.usembassy.gov/marriage.html

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Good day freedavid. May I ask which particular area in the Philippines you are planning to get married? The link that Pitaya provided has the gist of what you need to get married, but some areas may have a few more requirements. One of the things that are unique to marriage in the Philippines is for a US citizen to get an "Affidavit in Lieu of a Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage". Based on my experience it is easier to get it in Cebu City. It's on a walk in basis so unlike Manila you don't have to make an online appointment. I was in and out in less than 3 hours. Other than this advice, the link in Pitaya's post is exactly what you need to read. Good luck!

Edit: Sorry forgot to answer one of your questions. I am afraid that 10 days may not be enough as the process can become a little lengthy depending on location of marriage. And sometimes after you submit requirements they ask you to come back in a week or so for updates. It would be wise to let your wife go to the Local Civil Registrar where she lives so she can ask for their specific requirements and paperworks. And also, both of you must attend a pre-marriage seminar which is scheduled weekly (schedule again depends on your location). One of the things she should also request ahead of a time is a CENOMAR (certificate of no marriage issued by the NSO). Its basically a document that states that neither of you have a record in the Philippines of being married to other people in the past. She should request one for each of you. All this info may sound daunting but once you do research it becomes more understandable.

Edited by Dennis8

Service Center : Nebraska Service Center

Marriage : July 2, 2014

March 7, 2015: I-130 Sent

March 17, 2015: I-130 NOA1 received in mail

March 17, 2015: I-129F Sent

March 28, 2015: I-129F NOA1 received in mail

April 3, 2015: I-130 updated on USCIS website to approved! awaiting hardcopy of NOA2

April 14, 2015: Case was sent to NVC

April 18, 2015: I-130 NOA2 hardcopy received in mail

April 22, 2015: Case was received by NVC

May 1, 2015: Case number assigned

May 4, 2015 : I-129F NOA2 received in mail

June 2, 2015 : Selected Agent Via Phone

June 16, 2015 : Paid AOS and IV Fees Via Mail

June 22, 2015 : Wife receives Appointment letter from Manila Embassy (I-129F)

*proceeding with K-3 Visa instead. Cannot wait for the NVC problems to resolve

June 23, 2015: Interview scheduled for July 30

July 9, 2015 : Medical Completed

July 30, 2015 : Interview Complete APPROVED!!

August 16, 2015 : Received Letter from NVC that I-130 is being expedited to Manila Embassy.

August 26, 2015 : Manila Embassy closes K3. Proceeding with CR1 again. New interview date September 16, 2015

September 16, 2015 : Interview Complete APPROVED!! ISSUED on same day. :dance:

September 23, 2015 : Visa in hand
September 29, 2015 : POE

Filed: Timeline

Hi Dennis8

I was thinking of Manila or Ormoc City, but we have friend's in Cebu City. So let me make sure that I understand this. I can take the fast boat from Ormoc City to Cebu City with no prier arrangement's walk in and be married in just a few hours? I don't have to wait a few days like in the USA.

David

Im hopping to glean as much info about getting married in the Philippines as I can. I am an American and have been seeing a Filipino woman for the last few years. Do to circumstances beyond my control a K-1 visa is not the best option for us. So what I need to know is, if I go to the Philippines how long will it take me to get married? Can it be done in a 10 day trip, that kind of thing. And what is the proses, home much will it cost me? Is it better to do it in Manila or her province? Or any thing else I have not covered, or just don't know about?

Thanks'

David

It can be done in 10 days BUT it depends on each step being completed and the full cooperation of the government agency that you will be dealing with. Here are the steps.

Have your fiancée go to her local registrar and advise them of your intentions to send a blank marriage application to you here in the states and that you her fiancé will be getting endorsements from a Philippine Consulate in the USA. If the local registrar agrees, she obtains the application and fax or scans as a PDF file and sends to you.

You in turn have to appear in person at one of the Philippine Consulate office here in the States. See website http://www.philippineembassy-usa.org/index.php?page=consulate-finder-main for the nearest Consulate Office. Present the marriage application with just your information filled in on the document. The counselor will endorse the marriage application verifying that this is you who is applying. Bring two ID's, preferable your passport and a pictured driver's license. You as the applicant will need to present the affidavit, death certificate or divorce decree signifying that you are free to marry along with the application and id's. I would call ahead and make an appointment and explain what you are doing and verify my details as to what is required before attending the process in front of a Philippine Consular.

Once you have the endorsements then send to your fiancée by LBC, DHL or other currier to your fiancée in the Philippines. She receives the original document with all endorsements from you and takes the marriage application to her local registrar for filing. She will fill out her part of the application when she is in front of the registrar. Again, she should bring two government ID's with her to validate her identity. She will receive the license either on that day or the next day. Each local registrar is different and she should verify all necessary documents that are required by her local registrar.

If she is between the age of 18 to 21 she must have parental consent in writing, those age 21 to 25 must have written parental advice (a written indication that the parents are aware of the couple's intent to marry).

These are the steps and you should begin the process about three weeks before your trip to Philippines.

Edited by Greenbaum
Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Thanks'

David

Hi freedavid,

Pitaya's link is a good read. :) I'm not sure if a 10 day trip will be alright since there will be papers and appointment dates for the civil wedding or church wedding as well as the license but..your fiance can arrange this before you go to the Philippines because that's what my uncle did when he got married to my aunt, it's all arranged already (the church wedding, license/permit etc..) In a catholic wedding, you need to go to a seminar (few weeks) before getting married. I just don't know with other churches.The cost of wedding depends on how many guests you will have or will it be simple like a civil wedding. Her province will be a good place to have a wedding :) Wish you all the best :)

710-23-2014 - K1 interview (Phils): Approved
10-31-2014 - K1 Visa received
01-20-2015 - POE
02-20-2015 - Marriage
03-20-2015 - AOS/EAD/AP Packet Submission (day 0) ** date I submitted ***
03-24-2015 - NOA1 received (day 4)
03-27-2015 - NOA1 hard copies received (day 7)
04-06-2015 - Biometrics letter hard copy received (day 17)
04-16-2015 - Biometrics Appointment (day 27)
05-01-2015 - USCIS changed to Interview is scheduled (day 42)
05-06-2015 - Hardcopy of interview notice received ( I-797 C, NOA) (day 46)
06-02-2015- Conditional GC got approved (day 82) 
06-08-2015- Hard copy of Welcome notice received via mail (day 88)
06-10-2015- Actual GC received via mail  (day 90)
ROC
4/06/17 - Sent package (day 0)
4/7/17 -  USCIS received package (day 1) NOA date
4/14/17 - check encashed (day 😎
4/15/17 - NOA 1 received (day 9)
4/22/17 - Biometrics notice date (day 16)
4/29/17 - Biometrics notice letter received (day 23)
5/9/17 - Biometrics done (day 33)
3/19/18 - Case approved
3/23/18 - Approval letter received
4/6/18 - Actual 10-yr GC received 
N400 (under 3-year rule)
4/27/18 - filed N400 online (Friday) (day 0)
4/27/18 - paid/payment received (day 0)
4/27/18 - NOA date
5/21/18 - Biometrics done
7/25/18 - Interview letter date
8/31/18 - Scheduled interview. Got approved!
9/20/18 - Naturalization ceremony in Faneuil Hall, Boston, MA

"Seasons of waiting are designed to prepare you, stretch your faith, and get you ready for everything that's coming next" - curiano quotes life

Hi Dennis8

I was thinking of Manila or Ormoc City, but we have friend's in Cebu City. So let me make sure that I understand this. I can take the fast boat from Ormoc City to Cebu City with no prier arrangement's walk in and be married in just a few hours? I don't have to wait a few days like in the USA.

David

Unfortunately no, the "Affidavit in Lieu of a Certificate of Legal Capacity to contract Marriage" is not a marriage license but an additional document you have to secure from the US consul or embassy that states that you swore to a officer of the US that you are free to marry. Unlike in the US, the Philippines has an organization called the NSO (National Statistics Office) that keeps track of marriages, births, deaths etc2. You must secure from the NSO a document called a CENOMAR (certificate of no marriage). The United States cannot provide you with a document equivalent to a Philippine CENOMAR so they provide you with the "Affidavit in Lieu of a Certificate of Legal Capacity to contract Marriage" instead. Aside from these 2 documents there are other requirements which was in Pitaya's post. Just ask if you are confused about anything.

Greenbaum's post looks like what you need , I was not aware that you could do some of the processes from the US :idea:

Edited by Dennis8

Marriage : July 2, 2014

March 7, 2015: I-130 Sent

March 17, 2015: I-130 NOA1 received in mail

March 17, 2015: I-129F Sent

March 28, 2015: I-129F NOA1 received in mail

April 3, 2015: I-130 updated on USCIS website to approved! awaiting hardcopy of NOA2

April 14, 2015: Case was sent to NVC

April 18, 2015: I-130 NOA2 hardcopy received in mail

April 22, 2015: Case was received by NVC

May 1, 2015: Case number assigned

May 4, 2015 : I-129F NOA2 received in mail

June 2, 2015 : Selected Agent Via Phone

June 16, 2015 : Paid AOS and IV Fees Via Mail

June 22, 2015 : Wife receives Appointment letter from Manila Embassy (I-129F)

*proceeding with K-3 Visa instead. Cannot wait for the NVC problems to resolve

June 23, 2015: Interview scheduled for July 30

July 9, 2015 : Medical Completed

July 30, 2015 : Interview Complete APPROVED!!

August 16, 2015 : Received Letter from NVC that I-130 is being expedited to Manila Embassy.

August 26, 2015 : Manila Embassy closes K3. Proceeding with CR1 again. New interview date September 16, 2015

September 16, 2015 : Interview Complete APPROVED!! ISSUED on same day. :dance:

September 23, 2015 : Visa in hand
September 29, 2015 : POE

One more item I neglected to add and that is the "Affidavit in Lieu of a Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage" which will be required. After landing in Manila you can go over to USEM to get your affidavit. Follow the instructions below:

You apply for the "Affidavit in Lieu of a Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage" at the Embassy's American Citizen Services Branch (US Embassy in Manila) by appointment only. There is a fee of $50.00 or its peso equivalent for the affidavit, payable in cash only. If you do not want to experience the hustle and the bustle of Manila, there is a U.S. Consular Agency in Cebu that you can visit to get this Affidavit.

If you are marrying in the Catholic Church this will not work in 10 days because you are required to take the marriage class required by the church. If you are going to do a "Justice of the Peace" style wedding you can pull this off in 10 days.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks'

David

You may be aware of this, but Philippines doesn't really allow divorce. My wife pushed for us to get married there but that stopped me. Now we have lived together for a couple years so it would be different, but living with the American mind frame that you can have a do over might not be possible. I personally think you need to live together in normal every day life for awhile before you take the do overs off the table, and if you're planning to live in the U.S. you can't possibly know how she will acclimate. Obviously thousands of people do it, but just food for thought.

You may be aware of this, but Philippines doesn't really allow divorce. My wife pushed for us to get married there but that stopped me. Now we have lived together for a couple years so it would be different, but living with the American mind frame that you can have a do over might not be possible. I personally think you need to live together in normal every day life for awhile before you take the do overs off the table, and if you're planning to live in the U.S. you can't possibly know how she will acclimate. Obviously thousands of people do it, but just food for thought.

FYI the Philippines will recognize divorce if the Filipino citizen is married to a non-Filipino citizen and the non-Filipino citizen initiates the divorce.

See here:

http://www.philippineconsulatela.org/FAQs/FAQS-legal.htm#4

Edited by RWD

Feb 24, 2014 We got married in the Philippines
Aug 12, 2014 Returned to USA after staying 6 months in the Philippines

Petition for my wife
USCIS
Sep 30, 2014 Mailed I-130 Pagkage @ Norco, CA
Oct 01, 2014 Received @ Phoenix, AZ Lockbox
Oct 06, 2014 USCIS E-notification
Oct 07, 2014 Check Cashed
Oct 09, 2014 NOA1 Received
Oct 30, 2014 NOA2 Received (Oct 26 Notice Date)

NVC
Nov 18, 2014 NVC Received Case
Dec 16, 2014 NVC Welcome Letter E-mail Received (Including Case Number & IIN)
Dec 16, 2014 DS-261 Submitted
Dec 17, 2014 Affidavit of Support Invoice Received
Dec 18, 2014 Affidavit of Support Invoice Paid
Dec 21, 2014 Mailed AOS and IV Package
Jan 14, 2015 Immigrant Visa Invoice Received
Jan 14, 2015 Immigrant Visa Invoice Paid
Jan 24, 2015 DS-260 Submitted
Mar 04, 2015 Case Complete
Mar 09, 2015 Interview Scheduled E-mail Received

US Embassy
Mar 20, 2015 Medical Exam
Mar 23, 2015 Medical Results Received
Apr 15, 2015 Interview - Visa Approved
Apr 18, 2015 Visa Delivered

USA
May 17, 2015 Point of Entry - Los Angeles
May 26, 2015 Social Security Card Received
Jun 23, 2015 Permanent Resident Card Received *** Removal of Conditions Apr 22, 2017 Mailed I-751 package from Norco, CA to California Service Center *** May 8, 2017 Check Cashed *** May 8, 2017 NOA Received

Petition for my step-son
USCIS Dec 30, 2015 Mailed I-130 package from Norco, CA *** Jan 04, 2016 Received @ Phoenix, AZ Lockbox *** Jan 06, 2016 USCIS E-notification *** Jan 07, 2016 Check Cashed *** Jan 11, 2016 NOA1 Received *** Feb 10, 2016 NOA2 Received (Feb 03 Notice Date) *** NVC Mar 05, 2016 NVC Welcome Letter Received (Including Case Number & IIN) *** Mar 17, 2016 DS-261 Submitted *** Apr 01, 2016 Immigrant Visa Invoice Received *** Apr 1, 2016 Affidavit of Support Invoice Paid *** Apr 01, 2016 Immigrant Visa Invoice Paid *** Jun 8, 2016 DS-260 Submitted *** Jun 11, 2016 Mailed AOS and IV Package *** Jul 22, 2016 Case Complete *** Aug 5, 2016 Interview Scheduled E-mail Received *** US Embassy Oct 17, 2016 Medical Exam *** Oct 19, 2016 Medical Results Received *** October 28, 2016 Interview *** Nov 3, 2016 Visa Delivered *** USA Mar 27, 2017 Point of Entry - Los Angeles *** Apr 21, 2017 Permanent Resident Card Received *** Apr 21, 2017 Social Security Card Requested (USCIS didn't process)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

FYI the Philippines will recognize divorce if the Filipino citizen is married to a non-Filipino citizen and the non-Filipino citizen initiates the divorce.

See here:

http://www.philippineconsulatela.org/FAQs/FAQS-legal.htm#4

Sounds great, but I don't think it's as easy as you make it sound. Even on the website it sounds like they will make an exception, but first you have to get divorced in the U.S. and then in the Philippines, that could take years. I wouldn't do any kind of contract in a foreign country, so maybe it's just me but I was also warned by a couple of people.

You stated that in the first post you can not do a K1 visa. So my questions is if you are going to do a CR visa or just live in Pinas?

It will be very hard to get married in the philippines in 10 days. There is a 10 day waiting period for the marriage license to be issue after you apply for the license

ROC
Consulate : Manila, Philippines
Marriage (if applicable): 2014-05-20
I-130 Sent : 2014-10-06
I-130 NOA1 : 2014-10-09
I-130 RFE for NSO copy of marriage certificate: 2014-11-03
I-130 RFE Sent : 2014-11-18
I-130 Approved : 2014-12-07
NVC Received : 2014-12-23
NVC case number: 2015-02-04
Received DS-261 / AOS Bill : 2015-02-04
Pay AOS Bill : 2015-02-05
Submit DS-261 : 2015-02-05
Sent AOS Package : 2015-02-09
Sent IV Package : 2015-02-09
Scan date : 2015-02-10
Receive IV Bill : 2015-03-03
Pay IV Bill : 2015-03-06
Submit DS-260: 2015-3-12
Case Completed at NVC : 2015-03-20
Receive Instruction and Interview appointment letter: 2015-3-27
Medical complete: 2015-04-08
Interview Date : 2015-05-08
Interview Result : Approved
Visa Received : 2015-05-13

Date of US Entry : 2015-06-09

Date of Social Security card receive : 06-2015

Date of Green Card received 07-2015

Date of ROC FILE 05-19-2017

I-751 NOA Date 05-26-2017

http://jerryjja.wix.com/filipinasaswa?_ga=1.194674661.91538870.1441656248

Sounds great, but I don't think it's as easy as you make it sound. Even on the website it sounds like they will make an exception, but first you have to get divorced in the U.S. and then in the Philippines, that could take years. I wouldn't do any kind of contract in a foreign country, so maybe it's just me but I was also warned by a couple of people.

you only have to get divorce in usa not both usa and philippines for the divorce to be reconize there

Edited by j&ana

ROC
Consulate : Manila, Philippines
Marriage (if applicable): 2014-05-20
I-130 Sent : 2014-10-06
I-130 NOA1 : 2014-10-09
I-130 RFE for NSO copy of marriage certificate: 2014-11-03
I-130 RFE Sent : 2014-11-18
I-130 Approved : 2014-12-07
NVC Received : 2014-12-23
NVC case number: 2015-02-04
Received DS-261 / AOS Bill : 2015-02-04
Pay AOS Bill : 2015-02-05
Submit DS-261 : 2015-02-05
Sent AOS Package : 2015-02-09
Sent IV Package : 2015-02-09
Scan date : 2015-02-10
Receive IV Bill : 2015-03-03
Pay IV Bill : 2015-03-06
Submit DS-260: 2015-3-12
Case Completed at NVC : 2015-03-20
Receive Instruction and Interview appointment letter: 2015-3-27
Medical complete: 2015-04-08
Interview Date : 2015-05-08
Interview Result : Approved
Visa Received : 2015-05-13

Date of US Entry : 2015-06-09

Date of Social Security card receive : 06-2015

Date of Green Card received 07-2015

Date of ROC FILE 05-19-2017

I-751 NOA Date 05-26-2017

http://jerryjja.wix.com/filipinasaswa?_ga=1.194674661.91538870.1441656248

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.