Dakine10

South Carolina policeman charged with murder

114 posts in this topic

No, Marvin, the question is, why on earth did this officer, who is supposed to uphold the law, shoot a man in cold blood and then try to lie about it. Try to see beyond your own skin color once in a while, there are actually bigger issues at hand here.

That's easy. Think about this:

If there was no video, and this cop said a black man was trying to kill him, who would you believe? The cop, or the black guy who has issues with back child support? Even here, a black person's word is worth about half a cent. Hell, last week a 50 something year old black man was pulled over and beaten within an inch of his life by cops. He had blood on the brain, and it's a miracle he's still alive. The cops swore he was a crackhead, had drugs in the car, was going to kill them, and he had a weapon. But the funny part? The man had no criminal record and was clean of any drugs. The cop in charge of this knucklehead brigade? Multiple charges of excessive force, planting false evidence, and being an all around dirty cop. Plus, there's video evidence that the cop planted the drugs in his car. Guess who get's the benefit of the doubt?

If this isn't about race, why does it keep happening to black people at an alarming rate?

Edited by Marvin and Su

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

I know you are emotional about this sort of thing. Got it. But I also remember you being outraged when a perp is identified in the media as a black man. "Why can't it just be a man?" I believe you said. Well, here it is, all over the place that a cop shot a black man, and you seem to care not about that.

Think about this:

If there was no video, and the cop said a white man was trying to kill him, who would you believe? The cop, or the dead white guy who had a rap sheet?

I wish you could see that the only race this is about is the human race. Doesn't make one bit of difference if it was a black cop and a white man, or even if it were a female cop and a 14-year old boy from Compton. It was MURDER. Plain and simple. And I for one hope the cop gets the maximum punishment they can give him, up to and including an execution (provided the video accurately portrays the situation and we don't find out later it was fake/edited in any way. Not alleging it was, but but it is very early in the investigation yet.). Murder is just murder, and it's just wrong.

Wrong. It's about race. You know why? Because of how he handled the situation. You don't know the N word or the KKK to have racism seep in. Would this cop shot an unarmed white guy in broad daylight? Probably not.

And to highlight what Val touched on, without the video, the cop would have said he feared for his life, and would have been believed without question.

Such BS. How do you know he would not have shot a white guy. Happens all the time. This case has nothing to do with race, but I promise the usual suspects and the media will fan the flames.

As for the N word. I work with a good number of black sales people. Good lord I hear the N word all day every day. Not to mention being told stuff like, Brothers are talking be quite, etc etc. It's not meant with malice but can you imagine it going the other way.

I do have a story about a little thug wanna be, that came to live with his cousin to escape the hood in the bigger city. Young man selling cars with us. He poured his heart out to me the other day, and told me about laying awake in his granny's bedroom dreaming of escaping. Awesome kid. Love him to death. Dude is selling cars like crazy. Nobody gave him chance when he started or thought he would make it .

Such BS. How do you know he would not have shot a white guy. Happens all the time. This case has nothing to do with race, but I promise the usual suspects and the media will fan the flames.

As for the N word. I work with a good number of black sales people. Good lord I hear the N word all day every day. Not to mention being told stuff like, Brothers are talking be quite, etc etc. It's not meant with malice but can you imagine it going the other way.

I do have a story about a little thug wanna be, that came to live with his cousin to escape the hood in the bigger city. Young man selling cars with us. He poured his heart out to me the other day, and told me about laying awake in his granny's bedroom dreaming of escaping. Awesome kid. Love him to death. Dude is selling cars like crazy. Nobody gave him chance when he started or thought he would make it .

Really? If it happens all the time, why are we only seeing it happen to black people? Oh yeah, I keep forgetting, we're the "protected" class. We have the privilege of our beating and murders being shown on the air. I feel so lucky...

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Really? If it happens all the time, why are we only seeing it happen to black people? Oh yeah, I keep forgetting, we're the "protected" class. We have the privilege of our beating and murders being shown on the air. I feel so lucky...

You have made this absurd allegation several times and I have posted many links in the past to videos and stories of white people being shot by police for no reason.

You have made this absurd allegation several times and I have posted many links in the past to videos and stories of white people being shot by police for no reason.

i don't think anyone is saying that cops don't kill white people too.

Didn't say they didn't. I'm talking about right now. Why aren't 12 year old white kids being killed for playing with toy guns? Why aren't white men in open carry states being gunned down? How can a white guy walk into a store with an assault rifle after a deadly massacre without incident, but a black dude can't cross a parking lot without being tackled for carrying a legally registered handgun?

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline

Yup they gonna ring him up and rightly so.

The part I hate is how CNN with almost glee. announces the story with emphasis on race. They just gonna fan the flames. Lot of videos out there of white cops shooting white or black cops shooting white people. This is about a poorly trained cop who by all appearances committed murder. Not about race.

I agree. We don't know specifically if racism occurred. It seems inconsistent though, to label it racism where the kid got the transplant because most of the support came from a black church and then here to say you don't know because probably the cop is just poorly trained. Unless you can read minds, or unless someone demonstrates racism, how would you know? I feel the same about that post. You fanned the flames for no real reason other than speculation.

I've followed local cases closely. When a law abiding citizen get's on the wrong side of a bad cop, it doesn't turn out well, regardless of the races involved. What I can say, is if there are X number of bad cops, and if members of one group are more likely than another to have encounters with law enforcement, then that group is going to have more bad outcomes. That is institutionalized racism, and I don't think we need to do the math again.

QCjgyJZ.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

I'm emotional because while you get to talk about it, I have to live it. I have to check every move I make. I have to give my sons "the talk". I have to remember that even when a cop gives me an attitude and infringes on my civil liberties, I have to take it. Because if they kill me and say they felt threatened, there's a big chance folks will believe them, even though I have no record.

This is sobering and heartbreaking, even more so when coming from an individual of Marvin's high caliber.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

That's easy. Think about this:

If there was no video, and this cop said a black man was trying to kill him, who would you believe? The cop, or the black guy who has issues with back child support? Even here, a black person's word is worth about half a cent. Hell, last week a 50 something year old black man was pulled over and beaten within an inch of his life by cops. He had blood on the brain, and it's a miracle he's still alive. The cops swore he was a crackhead, had drugs in the car, was going to kill them, and he had a weapon. But the funny part? The man had no criminal record and was clean of any drugs. The cop in charge of this knucklehead brigade? Multiple charges of excessive force, planting false evidence, and being an all around dirty cop. Plus, there's video evidence that the cop planted the drugs in his car. Guess who get's the benefit of the doubt?

If this isn't about race, why does it keep happening to black people at an alarming rate?

I don't think anyone can make a convincing argument that institutional racism isn't a significant issue in the US.

The other day a black man on death row in alabama was released after spending 30 years in jail. The evidence against him was spurious but this hadn't been taken into account during the trial. Even after the man's lawyer presented incontrovertible evidence that the ballistics evidence that convicted him was fatally flawed, the state authorities wouldn't overturn his conviction until 16 years later.

This story is about a man being shot in the heat of the moment by a cop for spurious reasons. Yet there are examples of clear institutional racism in the USA that show is that if you are black you can expect different treatment both from the police and the judicial system. It is wrong.

Anyone insisting that recharges of racism in relation to stories like these are media hysteria needs their head examined. Seriously.

Edited by Venkman

Filed: Other Timeline

Are all of the above questions relevant to the OP or what has been said in the thread so far?

Can't see the relevancy? Can't help you with that. From the video it appears a white cop shot a black man in the back after he attempted to flee the scene. The video only makes it appear that the white police office murdered the black man. The details as in all stories like this are unknown. Questions that need to be asked:

1. Why did the black man forcibly steal the white officers taser?

2. Why did the black man flee the white police officer?

The answers to these questions will not provide a justification for a white police officer to shoot a fleeing black man in the back. But, is there an epidemic of disobedience toward police officers being created by race baiters and false allegations of hands up don't shoot? Does it mean that it's okay to disrespect, beat or flee from a police officer if the victim is unarmed?

Being a police officer has to be one of the most difficult jobs in the US. Today, that job has been made even more difficult by the rising tide of disrespect and assaults toward police. Our police are human, not machines. Both sides of the equation need to be examined: that includes the rising tide of crime and disrespect toward police, and also its affect on our police. This story is more than just a story about a white murdering cop, and a fleeing black thug.