Nele

NOA 2 Received (approved :) ) How long will the process with the consulate take?

20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline

Hi Guys,

My American boyfriend received our NOA2 this weekend and we got approved!!
Super stoked!

However, I am also in the process of selling my business and am now kind of freaking out about the time I have left to get my sale done and my papers in check.

Does anyone know an estimation of how long it will take for me to go through the process with the consulate here? I am going through Brussels, Belgium, which is a small country so I am both scared and happy it might go very fast. But I really need more time to finish the sale of my business here.

It's driving me up the wall, can't really be happy or unhappy right now... It's so exhausting going through both processes at the same time.

I thought it would take somewhere between 2 and 3 months to get this approval and the new dealine is scaring the hell out of me...Altho I should feel lucky it got processed so fast! And I do but at the same time I don't... Omg, can't wait for all this to be over.

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this!

Nele

03/02/2015: filed I-129F at the USCIS Texas

03/13/2015: received confirmation (Form I-797), file will now get routed to the USCIS California Service Center for processing. We wait :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

There is a bunch of us who would have paid to trade timelines with you :lol:

Congratulations!

Have you had a look at the regional forum to see if there are other Belgian filers who have completed their timelines to give you an idea? Not all the embassies process the interview assignments the same way. It looks like some are done at NVC before they are sent out to the beneficiary's embassy, while others are sent quickly and the dates assigned there instead. You are not the first and won't be the last to need more time though and there are ways to put in a request to delay the interview. But you are best checking with others who have gone through the same embassy. I wouldn't want to give you inaccurate information and they are not all the same. All the best with the move and your plans for your wedding :)

Edited by wbeem
Lee & William

8/2/2014 - Sent I-129F Petition with USPS by Express Mail    
8/4/2014 - I-129F delivered to dropbox    8/6/2014 - NOA1 Text/E-Mail received    8/11/2014 - Alien Registration Number Changed (Text/E-Mail) / NOA1 Letter received by Mail    3/16/2015 - NOA2 Text/E-Mail received (224 days)    3/20/2015 - Sent to NVC    3/31/2015 - NVC Received    4/1/2015 - Case Number Assigned       4/7/2015 - NVC Sent to Embassy    4/10/2015 - London Embassy Received    4/11/2015 - Medical     4/15/2015 - Packet 3 Received    4/12/2015 - Packet 3 Sent    4/23/2015 - Packet 4 Received    5/18/2015 - Interview - APPROVED     5/30/2015 - Visa collected from courier    6/1/2015 - POE    6/14/2015 - Wedding 💍💍

Timeline

Thanks for your reply, I know I should feel more lucky, and at the same time, I do, but the sale of my business is a heavy one because if I don't get it done in time, I will be leaving with debt.

If it wouldn't be so important, I wouldn't even worry and worst case just close down...

The NOA2 states I should contact the consulate, and seeing as the NOA2 lasts three months, I was wondering if I could buy some time by post-poning contacting the consulate?

Or is that just stupid? Lol. I need like at least three months here..

Thank you for wishing me well, I can't wait to start my life in LA with the man of my dreams... I'm so much happier there, it blows my mind... It's nice to be reminded of what awaits me...

If this store would just sell, I'd be over the moon :'D It's such a slow and nerve wrecking process, it's a pain in my butt.

There is a bunch of us who would have paid to trade timelines with you :lol:

Congratulations!

Have you had a look at the regional forum to see if there are other Belgian filers who have completed their timelines to give you an idea? Not all the embassies process the interview assignments the same way. It looks like some are done at NVC before they are sent out to the beneficiary's embassy, while others are sent quickly and the dates assigned there instead. You are not the first and won't be the last to need more time though and there are ways to put in a request to delay the interview. But you are best checking with others who have gone through the same embassy. I wouldn't want to give you inaccurate information and they are not all the same. All the best with the move and your plans for your wedding :)

03/13/2015: received confirmation (Form I-797), file will now get routed to the USCIS California Service Center for processing. We wait :)

Timeline

When did you get your NOA2? You can try calling NVC, but it will take a couple of weeks before they have it on their system from the time of your approval. Once they have your case number they should be able to advise you of the process. When I called last week, the agent at NVC told me that my embassy will assign my interview date and issue further instructions from this point on, but some of the countries work differently. You may be able to put in a request with NVC if they assign the interviews, failing which, you could wait until the consulate has received it.

If you want to watch where your case is once you have the number (different to your WAC number) you can put it in here https://ceac.state.gov/ceacstattracker/status.aspx That way, if you have to contact your embassy, you can monitor your petition to see when it's arrived there. They won't know about it until it is on their system which is why it's important to know if and when they receive it. Your NOA2 has an 'expiration date' four months from the date you were approved, but this can be extended either by request or in some cases, it is extended automatically. Whatever the case, it is easy to remedy so don't let it concern you. There are many reasons why people need more time and it happens a lot. Often the beneficiary has trouble getting documents from other countries prior to the medical and interview and needs more time for this, so your situation is not unique and there are ways to work with it.

Just to avoid any doubt, my comment about us wanting to trade timelines was said as a joke. If it read that you are ungrateful, that wasn't at all what was supposed to be conveyed. I think you saw it as a joke, but just wanted to make sure it didn't come across as offensive. :)

Lee & William

8/4/2014 - I-129F delivered to dropbox    8/6/2014 - NOA1 Text/E-Mail received    8/11/2014 - Alien Registration Number Changed (Text/E-Mail) / NOA1 Letter received by Mail    3/16/2015 - NOA2 Text/E-Mail received (224 days)    3/20/2015 - Sent to NVC    3/31/2015 - NVC Received    4/1/2015 - Case Number Assigned       4/7/2015 - NVC Sent to Embassy    4/10/2015 - London Embassy Received    4/11/2015 - Medical     4/15/2015 - Packet 3 Received    4/12/2015 - Packet 3 Sent    4/23/2015 - Packet 4 Received    5/18/2015 - Interview - APPROVED     5/30/2015 - Visa collected from courier    6/1/2015 - POE    6/14/2015 - Wedding 💍💍

Timeline

Oh no worries hon'! I got it ;) I just didn't want to make you feel bad in any way, I thought maybe you were waiting for months already and I know this is a lot to deal with for everyone :)

My main issue is that as long is this sale isn't done, I can't even talk to people (except for really close friends) about my immigration process. If people know I'm leaving, eventually my customers will find out (small town) and I will lose profit and what not. So I am completely alone in this whole thing which really, REALLY sucks :D
Hearing you say there's ways to work around it, although if I would be my rational self I would've thought about that too, already helps me out. It's just nice to be able to talk to people, especially if they understand what this all means. I make my best friends cry when I talk about it cuz they're sad to see me go :D So I try to keep them out the loop as it breaks my heart to see 'm sad...
And the people who are more emotionally distant from me are all unaware... So I'm just here like -.-

I'll just call the consulate tomorrow and tell 'm straight up what my situation is, hopefully we can work something out then.

Although my fiancé obviously wants me to leave asap, I don't think I'll be able to do that... Which is fine, I'd rather take my time here and subsequently take some pressure off myself than work until I crash to make killer deadlines happen. I would like to have some time to enjoy my last weeks here and say goodbye to people and places. Now all I do is work 7/7 and nobody knows anything. It's not how I wanted to go about it at all... I don't wanna be like "hey guys, I'm leaving in 24 hours, see you never again." I mean... That's just too hard for me.

When did you get your NOA2? You can try calling NVC, but it will take a couple of weeks before they have it on their system from the time of your approval. Once they have your case number they should be able to advise you of the process. When I called last week, the agent at NVC told me that my embassy will assign my interview date and issue further instructions from this point on, but some of the countries work differently. You may be able to put in a request with NVC if they assign the interviews, failing which, you could wait until the consulate has received it.

If you want to watch where your case is once you have the number (different to your WAC number) you can put it in here https://ceac.state.gov/ceacstattracker/status.aspx That way, if you have to contact your embassy, you can monitor your petition to see when it's arrived there. They won't know about it until it is on their system which is why it's important to know if and when they receive it. Your NOA2 has an 'expiration date' four months from the date you were approved, but this can be extended either by request or in some cases, it is extended automatically. Whatever the case, it is easy to remedy so don't let it concern you. There are many reasons why people need more time and it happens a lot. Often the beneficiary has trouble getting documents from other countries prior to the medical and interview and needs more time for this, so your situation is not unique and there are ways to work with it.

Just to avoid any doubt, my comment about us wanting to trade timelines was said as a joke. If it read that you are ungrateful, that wasn't at all what was supposed to be conveyed. I think you saw it as a joke, but just wanted to make sure it didn't come across as offensive. :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

I also don't know specifically about the Brussels embassy, but usually it takes a little time to get the paperwork through NVC and the interview scheduled. Also, once you have the visa it is valid for 6 months, so you do still have some time even if you don't delay the interview. Good luck as you go through the rest of the process!

Timeline

Oh and we got our NOA2 this weekend! Easter gift ^^

Only have the WAC number so far!

Edited by Nele

Timeline

I also don't know specifically about the Brussels embassy, but usually it takes a little time to get the paperwork through NVC and the interview scheduled. Also, once you have the visa it is valid for 6 months, so you do still have some time even if you don't delay the interview. Good luck as you go through the rest of the process!

My K1 Visa is only valid for 90 days, in which I have to get there and find a moment to get married...

Which is why I'm concerned... I just want some pressure off the deadline, it's too much to make everything happen at this pace...

I already moved out my apartment, sold all my stuff, all the praktical things are done, so that's a relief.

But the sale of my business is just draining me beyond belief...

Thanks for replying!

Edited by Nele

Timeline

My K1 Visa is only valid for 90 days, in which I have to get there and find a moment to get married...

Which is why I'm concerned... I just want some pressure off the deadline, it's too much to make everything happen at this pace...

I already moved out my apartment, sold all my stuff, all the praktical things are done, so that's a relief.

But the sale of my business is just draining me beyond belief...

Thanks for replying!

Actually, the 90 days starts only after you enter with your K1 visa - so once you are already in the USA.

NOA2: Valid for 4 months from the date of approval and can be extended on request, if not automatically done by the embassy.

K1 Visa: Once issued, this is valid for six months from the date of the medical. So the medical starts the clock and you have six months from then to enter the USA on your K1 visa.

90 days: From the day you enter on K1, this is how long you have in which to get married.

Hope that looks a bit better for you :)

Oh Easter approval - that's better than chocolate!

Edited by wbeem
Lee & William

Timeline

Actually, the 90 days starts only after you enter with your K1 visa - so once you are already in the USA.

NOA2: Valid for 4 months from the date of approval and can be extended on request, if not automatically done by the embassy.

K1 Visa: Once issued, this is valid for six months from the date of the medical. So the medical starts the clock and you have six months from then to enter the USA on your K1 visa.

90 days: From the day you enter on K1, this is how long you have in which to get married.

Hope that looks a bit better for you :)

Oh Easter approval - that's better than chocolate!

OMG! I did NOT know that!!!

YES this makes me feel like 1000 TIMES BETTER!!

You sir or madam, are my personal hero.

T H A N K Y O U

Congrats!

ROC Timeline!

Service Center : California Service Center

NOA2017-09-01

Biometrics : 2017-09-28

ROC Approved 2019-01-17

AOS Timeline!

Marriage : 2015-01-10

AOS/EAD/AP NOA : 2015-01-20

Biometrics : 2015-02-17

EAD/AP Approved : 2015-03-17

NPIW : 2015-06-11

AOS Approved : 2015-11-24

K-1 Visa Timeline!

Service Center : Texas Service Center

Transferred? No

Consulate : Frankfurt, Germany

I-129F NOA1 : 2014-03-11

I-129F NOA2 : 2014-08-12

Consulate Received : 2014-09-15

Interview Date : 2014-11-13

Interview Result : Approved

Visa Received : 2014-11-15

US Entry : 2014-12-31

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from K1 Process to K1 Progress Forum~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Seeing an approval on this site, is a time for celebration, as they seem to be getting slower and slower, these approvals.

Sounds like you are doing the right things, selling all the stuff you do not need, etc.

The NVC/embassy part of this varies from country to country, check your countries information, which I am sure you can find on this web site.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.