Echoes22

Friend in Iran, which visa or work visa?

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Iran
Timeline

Hi everyone. This is the situation: I have a friend in Iran who desperately wants to immigrate to the USA for obvious reasons about the situation in Iran for women and citizens in general because it's a theocracy. She has a Bachelor's in Biology though currently she does not work as a Biologist because of very little demand for that field in Iran. My questions are below and please no replies about marriage, fiancee or family visas:

1. Which work visa is better suited for her and her field?

2. i understand a job needs to sponsor her but what does she do if she does not have a job offer in the USA? Should she start applying for Biologist positions and doing interviews via Skype? Perhaps job fairs/recruitments in Europe which American companies attend?

3. What about as a refugee or asylee? Women are not treated very well in Iran afterall.... though nothing has really happened to her that I know of.

I think that is the only questions i have for now... if i have other questions i will add it later in the thread. Thanks.....

Filed: IR-5 Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Why she wants to go only US...??? why not any other country where women treated as good as men and also she can get a better job... its seems like she just want to have US citizenship.. Getting a Work visa from US is not easy as long as for its own local company there is alot of process is involved.

Advise her to apply for Canadian or Australian citizenship with her Degree behalf. I am sure they will accept her.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I agree, why only the US? Are you, the 'friend' part of that reason?

I suggest if she is that desperate to leave Iran that she opens up her search radius.

If she is bent on the US then she NEED a U.S. company to sponsor her for a work visa

good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

GC Lottery?

What does she have to offer a US Employer? She does not work in the area of her qualifications?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Why she wants to go only US...??? why not any other country where women treated as good as men and also she can get a better job... its seems like she just want to have US citizenship.. Getting a Work visa from US is not easy as long as for its own local company there is alot of process is involved.

Advise her to apply for Canadian or Australian citizenship with her Degree behalf. I am sure they will accept her.

That she wants U.S. citizenship goes without saying... Anyone who wants to immigrate to the U.S. wants a better life and citizenship. Canada & Australia are not options for her because she wants the U.S. It is simple as that. Like if you wanted a Cadillac and not a Ford car... same thing.

Timeline

Sounds like all she can afford is a Yugo.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

I agree, why only the US? Are you, the 'friend' part of that reason?

I suggest if she is that desperate to leave Iran that she opens up her search radius.

If she is bent on the US then she NEED a U.S. company to sponsor her for a work visa

good luck

I'm not sure what you mean about "Are you, the friend part of that reason?". We are friends and she is a friend who is in Iran. I'm in NY. <shrugs> .

As for needing a U.S. company to sponsor her, that also goes without saying. I mentioned it in my original post that i already know that. But how to go about it if she does not have one for sponsor right now? Start applying with pharmaceutical and other biology/science related companies via internet? Do interviews via skype? Travel to Europe to job fairs where U.S. companies attend? etc. etc. Everyone says you NEED a U.S. company to sponsor you but no one says how to go about it.

Timeline

There is no simple answer. It depends on the individual circumstances.

Certainly seen it mentioned that you make them come to you. Most of the people I have come across were approached by the US company.

Linkedin for example.

Timeline

GC Lottery?

What does she have to offer a US Employer? She does not work in the area of her qualifications?

She already entered the Visa Lottery 2 times and was not picked. She re-entered in Oct 2014 and the results come out in May.

As for what she can offer a US Employer, a much needed employee in the field of science. If you read articles and such lately, the U.S. needs to fill positions in STEM fields (Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math). Hence why H-1B visas are so in demand by both big and small companies.

And no, she hasn't worked in Biology other then to tutor other students in Biology & science. The reason being is because there is not a big demand for biologists in Iran. But she has the knowledge & degree to do the job.

Timeline

There is no simple answer. It depends on the individual circumstances.

Certainly seen it mentioned that you make them come to you. Most of the people I have come across were approached by the US company.

Linkedin for example.

I have mixed feelings about Linkedin... i myself have a profile there and have never been approached by any company in my field. Any other suggestions for jobs? I redid her resume and a generic cover letter. Even have a long list of bio related companies and wondering if just sending resumes to their "Careers" links might work.

Timeline

Further edu action maybe, followed by OPT and a job offer.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

If she has the necessary financial means there are visas for individuals that start a company and employ at least a certain number of people - I'm not sure of the details, maybe others could fill in - but depending on her level of wealth might be worth exploring.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Oh, and yes, education would be a good choice, too, if she has the means to support herself. She could apply to a MS/PhD program in the US and then afterwards she has some time to find a job under OPT for a year (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optional_Practical_Training).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.