cjmc

Income Requirements for a K-1 Visa for the Philippines...Is Co-Sponsorship allowed ?

21 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I have a friend that wants to bring his fiance' to the US from the Philippines, he just spent 2 months with her in the Philippines and now wants to get started with her Visa.

His income has not been very stable the last couple of years because of medical reasons and he wants to use his mother as a co-sponsor...does anyone have any recent information about this process ? is it currently being allowed from the Embasy in the Philippines ?

He is worried now because he saw on a lawyers website that they don't allow this.....

Any stories or input would be greatly appreciated.

Curt

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Co Sponsors are case by case basis

The last few months it seems that most people are saying the CO are not asking for I-134 or Income Tax statements or W-2 at Embassy in Philippines......

Edited by VOL

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

~ Moved from K-1 Process to Philippines regional - topic specific to interviewing in Manila ~

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

I have a friend that wants to bring his fiance' to the US from the Philippines, he just spent 2 months with her in the Philippines and now wants to get started with her Visa.

His income has not been very stable the last couple of years because of medical reasons and he wants to use his mother as a co-sponsor...does anyone have any recent information about this process ? is it currently being allowed from the Embasy in the Philippines ?

He is worried now because he saw on a lawyers website that they don't allow this.....

Curt

WB Curt.

First, can his total 2014 or 2015 income qualify him in meeting or exceeding the poverty levels? See http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864p.pdf

If he can then he has jumped a major hurdle. He begins the process by filing the K-1 visa (129F). More details on that in my link below.

The US Embassy Manila prefers that the joint sponsor for K-1 be an immediate relative of the petitioner (ie; parent or sibling). The CO/Embassy does not have to except the co-sponsor for a K-1, but each case is different. We have seen approvals and we have seen rejected applications.

If the K-1 visa application fails, you can take the spousal route. He would marry her in the Philippines and then file for a visa In the IR-1/CR-1 category, the joint sponsor can be anybody (relative or friend) as long as they meet the requirements. This process the CO must except the co-sponsor.

Details on the steps for IR-1/CR-1 can be found here http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/types/family/immediate-relative.html

Edited by Greenbaum
Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Curt

Hey Curt! Welcome back.

As you already know co-sponsors being accepted with the K-1 visa is hit and miss at best. Having his mother as a co-sponsor is a big plus. Too bad he didn't get married while in the Phils... qualified co-sponsors have to be accepted with the spousal visa.

Regarding the Evidence of Support, there have been a fair number that have not been asked for the I-134, ITR & W-2.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: Timeline

To reply to luckytwo15's statement: "I'd tell your friend to not petition a foreign partner if he can't afford it."

I am the "friend" and Its a shame that you take that attitude towards some one asking for help. Thus far I have gotten nothing but helpful info or at least a sincere attempt to help me from this sight. I guess maybe it fills good to you to take a "better then" attitude with some one you don't even know, and do not know the situation that put me in this state of not having the tax proof I need. Your statement just falls short of anonymous bullying. I assume that you did marry a woman from another country, I sincerely hope you treat her better then that. Because I know when my fiancé see's your remark, it will surly hurt her fillings.

David

Timeline

Hey Curt! Welcome back.

As you already know co-sponsors being accepted with the K-1 visa is hit and miss at best. Having his mother as a co-sponsor is a big plus. Too bad he didn't get married while in the Phils... qualified co-sponsors have to be accepted with the spousal visa.

Regarding the Evidence of Support, there have been a fair number that have not been asked for the I-134, ITR & W-2.

Hi Hank...glad to see you are still helping people out on this site..... :-)

If he did get married in the Phils....what is the timeline like getting his spouse here ? I have heard in the past it took couple of years....

What do you mean... " there have been a fair number that have not been asked for the I-134, ITR & W2"....are these not required to file for a K-1 or K2 Visa ?

As always....Thanks Hank !!!

Cheers,

Curt

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi Hank...glad to see you are still helping people out on this site..... :-)

If he did get married in the Phils....what is the timeline like getting his spouse here ? I have heard in the past it took couple of years....

What do you mean... " there have been a fair number that have not been asked for the I-134, ITR & W2"....are these not required to file for a K-1 or K2 Visa ?

As always....Thanks Hank !!!

Cheers,

Curt

Most IR/CR-1 take a year or less. Nothing is faster than the K-1 but with the IR/CR-1 you don't have co-sponsor acceptance worries.

Things have changed one more time at the embassy, the CO does not always ask for Support Evidence, the new instructions letter is even worded to suggest it may not be asked for, but if it is you best have it on hand. Many have reported back they were not asked.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

We married August 2nd, sent I-130 in mid October and just got Case Complete at NVC today, just waiting on interview letter next.

Wow !! That is great to hear and is very encouraging...thanks for the reply..

Curt

Timeline

I'd tell your friend to not petition a foreign partner if he can't afford it.

That is the first thing I thought also, along with how it is possible to be below the poverty line and take a 2 month vacation in the Philippines. I'm pretty sure if you can prove you have enough in the bank that will work also. My wife has a few friends that have been here for a year or two like her, and she is always telling me how they say they would have been better of staying in the Philippines than living in the low income US category. One of those people have a kid who stayed in Philippines and now they have visa done for the child but can't afford the ticket to fly them here. So I really agree with that statement, know that flying her home yearly may be normal, sending money to her family may be expected, there's a wide range of what is normal and they will talk to their friends and find out if they are getting the raw end of the deal.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

That is the first thing I thought also, along with how it is possible to be below the poverty line and take a 2 month vacation in the Philippines.

I have known a few guys including myself who took a couple years off work and traveled to Philippines....

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.