mdbr

Selective Service help

19 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

So I received today the letter from the selective service stating that I did not register, and it also says:

"The purpose of this provision is to clarify that a non-registrant is not to be denied any Federal benefit if he can demostrate that his failure to register was not knowing or willfull".

But how do I prove that I did not know something? I will send a letter with it that I did not know about this requirement, had I known so I would have registered. I will also mention that my wife is in the military and that I plan on joining the Air Force as well. Not sure what else to say. Hope it works...

Green card through marriage process:

Dec 6th 2011(day 0): Sent AOS package
Dec 12th (day 6): Appt received
Dec 15th (day 9): Received txts/emails
Dec 20th (day 14): NOA1 received
Dec 22th (day 16): Biometrics appt received scheduled for Jan 13th
Dec 28th (day 22): Biometrics walk-in at Varick location in NYC
Feb 14th 2012 (day 70): I-765 case update: EAD Card production
Feb 17th (day 73): I-765 case update: EAD Card production (again?)
Feb 21st (day 77): I-765 case update: EAD mailed by USPS
Feb 24th (day 80): EAD delivered!!!
Feb 27th (day 83): Applied for a SS card
Mar 2nd (day 87): SS card in hand
Mar28th (day 113): Interview date received through txt/ email for May 3rd
May 3rd (day 149): Interview at Federal Plaza, NYC
May 4th (day 150); txt/email that I-130 was approved!!!
May 16th (day 162): txt/email GC in production
May 19th (day 165): Green Card received!!!!

Removal of Conditions:

April 24th: I-751 Sent to Vermont center

April 25th: I-751 Received

Nov 14th: RFE Received

Jan 23rd 2015: RFE Responded

Feb 12th 2015: Decision date on I-797: APPROVED!

Feb 17th 2015: Card production ordered

Feb 26th 2015: 10 year green card received

That's the part that trips most people up.

You will likely have to wait until you turn 31, unless you can provide an abundance of proof of how awesome a person you are that would persuade USCIS that your failure to register was not wilful.

Edited by Hypnos

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I agree with Hypnos. This is one of those areas where no one on here is going to be able to give you any sort of reassurance at all. You will have no idea whether your application will be approved or denied until the day of your interview, unfortunately. The only guarantee, is that if you wait until your 31 to file your application then you will not be denied for this particular reason. I wish I could give you some statistics to back this up or to make you feel more secure, but I haven't seen any data on it Purely anecdotally, I have read about people who were in your situation and were approved and I have read about those who were denied. I would say that I have read more cases about people being denied, But you have to realize that usually people were approved don't bother to come on to immigration websites and post their experiences. Either way, it sounds like you have a compelling reason to try your luck. In the worst-case you'll be out $680 and you can reapply when you become eligible. In the best case they accept your explanation and you get approved.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.