bijou85

AOS & Cover Letter Help

2 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

I am the USC living in Istanbul with my husband and son. My husband is Nigerian. We are preparing for the NVC stage. We have not filed our 2014 taxes because I still have not received my son's social security card. The consulate said it could take up to six months. A tax agent recommended that we wait for our son's card rather than file an amendment. As I am living abroad my taxes are not due until June 15th. My father is our co-sponsor and has filed his taxes for this year. What exactly should I include in my cover letter and provide as evidence as not to receive a checklist? Any recommendations or questions are welcomed.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

I would send in a copy of your expected tax to be paid with a copy of the check you sent, since that was due on the 15th regardless of expat status (from what I understood from speaking with an IRS agent while filing my taxes this year.)

If you didn't owe any taxes, I'd send a copy of your turkish residence card (or blue book if you are still transitioning to the new card) and explain you haven't filed taxes yet as an expat this year. Maybe including one more tax record from prior years, so you still have three years worth of taxes shown.

Maybe file for a 6month extension on your taxes, if it will take that long to get the ss card? The. Include a copy of that with your packet, it could buy you a little extra time. If you qualify for that extension , anyways.

You'll be required to have him bring the updated taxes to his interview.

Good luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.