33 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

I applied for a permanent residency for my husband. He received his EAD 3 weeks ago. But now we're slightly worried about the upcoming interview.

We're both in the medical field. I'm a medical assistant and he's a podiatrist. (We met in the hospital where I work.)

We're both originally from the capital of Bulgaria - Sofia.

We're both Christians.

However... we have 15 years age difference with me being the older one. (I just turned 50.)

Also, I have 2 children (ages 23 and 13.) While my husband gets along great with both of his stepsons, he doesn't want any babies. In fact, that's one of the main reasons why he had split up with his ex wife.

We've been married since November. We dated for about 10 months before we got married.

Also, my husband's divorce from his ex wife only became final in September. But they had been living separately for one and a half years prior to that...

We had a small ceremony at City Hall in NY with just 2 of our friends as witnesses. My husband's parents and my mom reside in Europe. My younger son was at school. And my older one was at work. We went to a restaurant afterwards. But we have yet to go on a honeymoon (to Boston.)

Here's the evidence we have gathered for the interview:

- Joint tax filing documents.

- Joint medical & dental insurance (through my work.)

- Cable/Internet bill.

- Electricity bill.

- 2 Joint bank accounts.

- Joint credit card accounts.

- Renters insurance. NOTE: Unfortunately, I am unable to put my husband on the lease... My landlord and I don't have a written contract. I know, I know... that's very bad. At some point, the landlord had given me a hand-written note that had her name and address, the property's address and the amount I was to pay every month (I needed it for my work.) But I've been living in her place for over 2 years without any problems now. Apartments in NYC are crazy expensive. And we only pay $1,200 for a large 2 bedroom... My landlord lives out of state and has no idea that I'm married. She took pity on me when I rented the place because I was a single mother. If I were to tell that I married a doctor... well, she'd definitely increase my rent. There's a young couple living right below us. They pay $300 more each month for a smaller 1 bedroom apartment! My husband doesn't work yet... and I can't afford to have the landlord increase our rent. So, I can't put my husband on the lease for the time being. I'm not sure how I can explain this to the officer who's going to interview us...

- Hotel and other receipts from a week-long trip with my younger son to Chicago in the spring of 2014.

- Pictures from our engagement (which was very romantic - on a boat cruise on the Hudson River :blush:)

- E-mails, dating all the way back to February of 2014.

- Pictures with various friends, my father and my 2 sons + my older son's gf. These include pictures from our wedding day, my birthday, our dating and every day life, Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc.

- E-mails exchanged with wedding vendors. (We had a professional photographer. I had a very nice floral bouquet. I had also e-mailed a few officiants, because we wanted to do a fall wedding. But then I got very sick for a few weeks, so we had to postpone it.)

- Copies of greeting cards that we've given each other. I have a few holiday cards from our friends saved somewhere.

- Pictures of a wedding gift from my in-laws (who reside in Bulgaria) and a greeting card from them.

- Receipts from gifts that we've given each other.

I guess I'm primarily worried due to the fact that we have a significant age difference. Also, my husband's brother & his wife live in NJ. But he hasn't been having a good relationship with them for years now. I have never met them. They don't speak... at all.

What are your opinions on our case? I will greatly appreciate hearing them.

I wish I could help you but I cant, i know nothing. Only thing I can say is I know the feeling of worries doing immigration with the age difference. I am 41 and my husband is 26. We have been married will be a year this month. Most amazing year of my life! Its to bad we have to be judged and worried for this, for love is blind, it has no color,number,gender in my opinion. God bless and good luck.

Spoiler

I-130

Sent : 5/01/2014

I-130 NOA1 : 05/12/2014
I-130 Approved : 10/06/2014
NVC Received : 10/31/2014
Received DS-261 / AOS Bill : 11/25/2014
Paid AOS: 11/25/2014
Sent AOS: 11/25/2014
Sent IV Package: 11/25/2014
Submitted DS-261: 11/25/2014
Receive IV Bill : 12/12/2014
Paid IV Bill: 12/12/2014
60 Day Scan Date Email Received: 12/16/2014
Checklist Received - 02/17/2015
Second AOS Scan Date - 2/23/2015
Case Completed at NVC : 03/26/2015 :dancing:
Medical Appointment Date: 05/07/2015
Interview Date: 6/02/2015
Interview Result : Approved  

ROC

03/08/2017 I-751 Package Sent

03/09/2017 I-751 Package delivered (CSC)

03/09/2017 I-751 NOA1 date

03/15/2017 Checks cashed

03/19/2017 NOA1 letter in the mail 

03/25/2017 Received Biometric appointment Letter

04/07/2017 Biometric  Appointments 10am

02/25/2018 Email Transferred to Local Office

02/26/2018 Email Transferred to Local Office

05/01/2018 Email Transferred to another office

05/01/2018 Email Receiving Case

05/03/2018 Email Transfer to Local Office 

05/03/2018 Email Transfer to Local Office (Yes, twice)

05/09/2018 Mail Transferred to NBC Lee Summit MO

05/21/2018 i-551-Appointment: Approved

Interview: June 12, 2018

Interview Result: Approved

N-400

Service Center : Filed Online

CIS Office : Jacksonville FL

03/17/2018 - Date Filed 

03/17/2018  - NOA Date 

04/13/2018 - Biometrics Appt.

Interview Email/ Uscis Status Change - 05/08/2018

Interview: June 12, 2018

Interview Result: Approved 

Naturalization Ceremony:

Filed: EB-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

I wish I could help you but I cant, i know nothing. Only thing I can say is I know the feeling of worries doing immigration with the age difference. I am 41 and my husband is 26. We have been married will be a year this month. Most amazing year of my life! Its to bad we have to be judged and worried for this, for love is blind, it has no color,number,gender in my opinion. God bless and good luck.

I know nothing either.

Be honest, assertive, and show how happy you are.

EB-1A Extraordinary Ability green card, premium processing, consular processing from abroad

WHEN WHO WHAT

15.01.15 attorney: filed my petition I-140 to USCIS (Texas)
22.01.15 attorney: received my approval notice I-797 from USCIS

22.01.15 me: filed for police certificates from Department of Justice in three countries

05.02.15 USCIS: mailed the case to NVC

26.02.15 Departments of Justice: mailed police certificates to me

26.02.15 NVC: issued case number and invoice ID
26.02.15 me: paid IV fee
02.03.15 NVC: IV fee online status: paid
02.03.15 me: completed DS-260 form
02.03.15 me: mailed civil documents to NVC (DHL)
06.03.15 NVC: received my civil documents (DHL tracking), NVC scan date
10.03.15 NVC: confirmed the reception and scan date, informed about 60 days processing delay

10.03.15 me: completed medical exam and mailed it to the Consulate (DHL)

11.03.15 me: called the congressman office

16.03.15 congressman office: e-mailed an expedite request to NVC

16.03.15 Consulate: received my medical exam (DHL tracking)

20.03.15 NVC: forwarded the expedite request to the U.S. Consulate in Frankfurt, Germany

30.03.15 Consulate: approved the expedite request (per e-mail response to me)

30.03.15 Consulate: confirmed the reception of my medical exam

31.03.15 NVC: acknowledged the approved expedite request (per e-mail to the congressman office)

01.04.15 NVC: e-mailed me about the approved expedite request

06.04.15 NVC: CEAC status "In Transit"

08.04.15 Consulate: received the files from NVC (DHL tracking)

09.04.15 NVC: CEAC status "Ready"

13.04.15 me: emailed the Consulate to check on the status

15.04.15 Consulate: confirmed receiving the physical files from NVC

15.04.15 Consulate: asked for the original civil documents

15.04.15 me: mailed the original civil documents (DHL)

16.04.15 Consulate: received the original civil documents (DHL tracking)

20.04.15 Consulate: issued an Interview Letter

29.04.15 me: interview: IV approved

21.05.15 NVC: CEAC status "Issued"

23.05.15 me: IV in passport received

23.05.15 me: ELIS paid

23.05.15 me: Point of Entry

Is having a huge age gap unusual in Bulgaria? What visa is your spouse adjusting from? The age difference could be part of the focus of the interview so just be prepared to answer these questions. As long as you have a bonafide marriage and enough proof to back it up, you have nothing to worry about. Hope all goes well!

Hi , i believe as long as you proved to the immigration during your interview that you love each other and have a bonafide happy marriage, I think there will be no problem at all. I have friends who have age differences like my friend is 24 and the guy is 55 but they made it. Also, with all your proof as a married couple, that is more than enough to tell them how strong your married life is. Wish you and everyone all the best :)

710-23-2014 - K1 interview (Phils): Approved
10-31-2014 - K1 Visa received
01-20-2015 - POE
02-20-2015 - Marriage
03-20-2015 - AOS/EAD/AP Packet Submission (day 0) ** date I submitted ***
03-24-2015 - NOA1 received (day 4)
03-27-2015 - NOA1 hard copies received (day 7)
04-06-2015 - Biometrics letter hard copy received (day 17)
04-16-2015 - Biometrics Appointment (day 27)
05-01-2015 - USCIS changed to Interview is scheduled (day 42)
05-06-2015 - Hardcopy of interview notice received ( I-797 C, NOA) (day 46)
06-02-2015- Conditional GC got approved (day 82) 
06-08-2015- Hard copy of Welcome notice received via mail (day 88)
06-10-2015- Actual GC received via mail  (day 90)
ROC
4/06/17 - Sent package (day 0)
4/7/17 -  USCIS received package (day 1) NOA date
4/14/17 - check encashed (day 😎
4/15/17 - NOA 1 received (day 9)
4/22/17 - Biometrics notice date (day 16)
4/29/17 - Biometrics notice letter received (day 23)
5/9/17 - Biometrics done (day 33)
3/19/18 - Case approved
3/23/18 - Approval letter received
4/6/18 - Actual 10-yr GC received 
N400 (under 3-year rule)
4/27/18 - filed N400 online (Friday) (day 0)
4/27/18 - paid/payment received (day 0)
4/27/18 - NOA date
5/21/18 - Biometrics done
7/25/18 - Interview letter date
8/31/18 - Scheduled interview. Got approved!
9/20/18 - Naturalization ceremony in Faneuil Hall, Boston, MA

"Seasons of waiting are designed to prepare you, stretch your faith, and get you ready for everything that's coming next" - curiano quotes life

I have read many stories...many stories. I have seen two that were denied apparently based on age. Both stories were 30 year plus age differences. I am not sure where I read it, but as long as you have less than a 25 year age difference, it is okay.

In the end, it is what it is. Worrying about things that are beyond your control just causes stress. You and your husband are real. Trust that in itself will be enough. If you are denied in the end which is a possibility for everyone, you will address it when/if it happens.

Good luck!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

What kind of visa are you adjusting from?

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I assume a tourist visa, but why does it matter?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

I am 21 years older than my husband and age was never an issue. Trust me where my husband comes from it is a lot more against the cultural norms than where your husband is from. You have nothing to worry about as long as you have the proof to show it's a bonafide marriage.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

I have read many stories...many stories. I have seen two that were denied apparently based on age. Both stories were 30 year plus age differences. I am not sure where I read it, but as long as you have less than a 25 year age difference, it is okay.

In the end, it is what it is. Worrying about things that are beyond your control just causes stress. You and your husband are real. Trust that in itself will be enough. If you are denied in the end which is a possibility for everyone, you will address it when/if it happens.

Good luck!

It is discrimination to deny a visa based solely on age. I am sure the people who were denied didn't have much in proving they had a bonafide marriage. I am 21 years older than my husband and never once was our age difference brought up, and trust me, where my husband comes from it is very much against cultural norms. From the day I sent my husband's petition until the day he removed conditions and received his 10 year green card our process was very easy and without any remarkable issues. In 3 months he will apply for citizenship.

Edited by mimolicious

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Age has absolutely nothing to do with it. When my wife and I married she was 2 1/2 months from her 29th birthday and I already celebrated my 67th. She just filed her N-400 last month and the process along the way has been smooth (but long). All the paperwork was done "in-house" thanks to VJ. It's the paperwork you send not your age.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

My husband and I just celebrated our 5 year wedding anniversary and we have a 18 year age difference, (and we have also been together for a total of 7 years.) I'm 47 and he's 28.. lol I think, I can never keep up.... lol. Anyhow, from start to finish we have never had any problems at all with interviews. I wouldn't be worried at all. Just go in their with a professional attitude, don't be afraid to show your feelings in front of the interviewer and always be yourself and everything will be fine. :dancing:

“You cannot enter heaven until you believe, and you will not truly believe until you (truly) love one another.” [Muslim, Al-Iman (Faith); 93]

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Age has absolutely nothing to do with it. When my wife and I married she was 2 1/2 months from her 29th birthday and I already celebrated my 67th. She just filed her N-400 last month and the process along the way has been smooth (but long). All the paperwork was done "in-house" thanks to VJ. It's the paperwork you send not your age.

That is pretty normal.

Now if your ages were the other way around there would a few ####### comments both on VJ and at the Consulate.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Timeline

I applied for a permanent residency for my husband. He received his EAD 3 weeks ago. But now we're slightly worried about the upcoming interview.

We're both in the medical field. I'm a medical assistant and he's a podiatrist. (We met in the hospital where I work.)

We're both originally from the capital of Bulgaria - Sofia.

We're both Christians.

However... we have 15 years age difference with me being the older one. (I just turned 50.)

Also, I have 2 children (ages 23 and 13.) While my husband gets along great with both of his stepsons, he doesn't want any babies. In fact, that's one of the main reasons why he had split up with his ex wife.

We've been married since November. We dated for about 10 months before we got married.

Also, my husband's divorce from his ex wife only became final in September. But they had been living separately for one and a half years prior to that...

We had a small ceremony at City Hall in NY with just 2 of our friends as witnesses. My husband's parents and my mom reside in Europe. My younger son was at school. And my older one was at work. We went to a restaurant afterwards. But we have yet to go on a honeymoon (to Boston.)

Here's the evidence we have gathered for the interview:

- Joint tax filing documents.

- Joint medical & dental insurance (through my work.)

- Cable/Internet bill.

- Electricity bill.

- 2 Joint bank accounts.

- Joint credit card accounts.

- Renters insurance. NOTE: Unfortunately, I am unable to put my husband on the lease... My landlord and I don't have a written contract. I know, I know... that's very bad. At some point, the landlord had given me a hand-written note that had her name and address, the property's address and the amount I was to pay every month (I needed it for my work.) But I've been living in her place for over 2 years without any problems now. Apartments in NYC are crazy expensive. And we only pay $1,200 for a large 2 bedroom... My landlord lives out of state and has no idea that I'm married. She took pity on me when I rented the place because I was a single mother. If I were to tell that I married a doctor... well, she'd definitely increase my rent. There's a young couple living right below us. They pay $300 more each month for a smaller 1 bedroom apartment! My husband doesn't work yet... and I can't afford to have the landlord increase our rent. So, I can't put my husband on the lease for the time being. I'm not sure how I can explain this to the officer who's going to interview us...

- Hotel and other receipts from a week-long trip with my younger son to Chicago in the spring of 2014.

- Pictures from our engagement (which was very romantic - on a boat cruise on the Hudson River :blush:)

- E-mails, dating all the way back to February of 2014.

- Pictures with various friends, my father and my 2 sons + my older son's gf. These include pictures from our wedding day, my birthday, our dating and every day life, Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc.

- E-mails exchanged with wedding vendors. (We had a professional photographer. I had a very nice floral bouquet. I had also e-mailed a few officiants, because we wanted to do a fall wedding. But then I got very sick for a few weeks, so we had to postpone it.)

- Copies of greeting cards that we've given each other. I have a few holiday cards from our friends saved somewhere.

- Pictures of a wedding gift from my in-laws (who reside in Bulgaria) and a greeting card from them.

- Receipts from gifts that we've given each other.

I guess I'm primarily worried due to the fact that we have a significant age difference. Also, my husband's brother & his wife live in NJ. But he hasn't been having a good relationship with them for years now. I have never met them. They don't speak... at all.

What are your opinions on our case? I will greatly appreciate hearing them.

I knew a neighbor who married and divorced 4 times and 3 of them the spouse immigrated after marriage. For 2 instances there was a 30 year age difference between them. If he got approved, then maybe you shouldn't have much of a problem.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.