HungNhi

Medical Examination and Vaccination, k1 visa

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Can someone describe the process of getting the medical examination and vaccination? My fiancee is planning to go to Cho Ray since she knows where it is. (would iom be better to go to?) Also, is it expected to give coffee money? I read that the clerk will schedule you a really late date if you dont give them some coffee money and that the doctor may give you a hard time or even fail you if you dont.

Thanks everyone.

Filing for the I-129F for my fiancee in Vietnam!

I-129F Sent in : July 29, 2014 , 12:29 pm

Delivered : July 30th 2014, 10:59 am - signed by K. Cottrin

Check cashed: 08/04

NOA1 email and text: 08/04

NOA1 hardcopy / official Receipt Notice (Form I-797): 08/08, notice on form dated for july 30th

NOA1 A-Number assigned: 08/05

NOA2 email and text: 03/04/2015

NOA2 letter in the mail: 03/08/2015

NVC Ready: 03/24/2015

Police Record: 4/3

passport: 4/3

certificate of single: 4/13

package 3 : 4/13

DS-160: 4/13

Medical:

K1 Visa interview: 7/24

I-751 Sent/Accepted: Apr-13th/Apr-16th

Check Cashed:
Noa1:

Biometric:

I would advise against going to Cho Ray. Long story short, my then-fiancee made an appointment for her medical exam a week and a half before flying to Saigon (she lived in Central VN). On her appointment date, she went to Cho Ray, got a ticket and waited for almost 2 hours, then when her ticket got called, she got the usual run-arounds until they told her that her appointment was not for the K-1 medical exam, and that they no longer performed medical exams for K-1 visas. WTH??? Maybe they wanted some coffee money and she was not planning on giving any. She frantically called me and I made a call to IOM. They were able to squeeze her in the same morning and she was in and out in about 2 hours.

I was told there are huge signs at Cho Ray warning you of pickpockets. In the waiting areas!

I would advise getting the vaccinations first before going to Cho Ray or IOM, and you don't have to make 3 separate trips.

Edited by frontgear

• 1 month later...
Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Wow, what a nightmare! Thanks for the advice. I'm working on getting all of this stuff finalized. My Fiancee and I are new to this stuff and don't understand half of it. I'll let her know to go to IMO. She does not have records of immunizations and insisted they were telling her she needed to get them again even if she's had them. It gets very confusing. Do you have an Idea what the costs might be for a full set of Immunizations may cost?

Thanks,

Hey everyone,

My fiancee's medical exam is tomorrow, She called to verify her appointment and they told her (again) to make sure she doesn't get any vaccinations. They said it isn't necessary and to MAKE SURE she doesn't get any done (with strong emphasis on not getting any vaccinations at all, they told her twice on the phone on the same call). They also said not to bring any passport/visa photos and that they'll take her to take pictures when she's there since bringing it up from rach gia wont be the right size. Has anyone had this experience before? Any advice on how we should proceed?

thanks

Edited by HungNhi

NOA1 hardcopy / official Receipt Notice (Form I-797): 08/08, notice on form dated for july 30th

Medical:

Check Cashed:
Noa1:

Biometric:

We decided on IOM

Medical:

Check Cashed:
Noa1:

Biometric:

In case anyone else wonders in the future, my finacee was not required to get any vaccinations. We went to IOM and she said it was overall, an easy process.

Medical:

Check Cashed:
Noa1:

Biometric:

• 5 months later...

I would advise against going to Cho Ray. Long story short, my then-fiancee made an appointment for her medical exam a week and a half before flying to Saigon (she lived in Central VN). On her appointment date, she went to Cho Ray, got a ticket and waited for almost 2 hours, then when her ticket got called, she got the usual run-arounds until they told her that her appointment was not for the K-1 medical exam, and that they no longer performed medical exams for K-1 visas. WTH??? Maybe they wanted some coffee money and she was not planning on giving any. She frantically called me and I made a call to IOM. They were able to squeeze her in the same morning and she was in and out in about 2 hours.

I was told there are huge signs at Cho Ray warning you of pickpockets. In the waiting areas!

I would advise getting the vaccinations first before going to Cho Ray or IOM, and you don't have to make 3 separate trips.

Been following all your posts for a while. Just wanna tell you from my exp today is that it's your wife's fault for making the wrong appointment. I literally walked in and didn't have to wait a sec. I've been living in Vietnam for over 18 years and never have to pay any coffee money or whatsoever. I think your wife just thinks everything will be ok w/ coffee money. Tsk

Been following all your posts for a while. Just wanna tell you from my exp today is that it's your wife's fault for making the wrong appointment. I literally walked in and didn't have to wait a sec. I've been living in Vietnam for over 18 years and never have to pay any coffee money or whatsoever. I think your wife just thinks everything will be ok w/ coffee money. Tsk

Well, it's good for you that you did not have to wait. But it is very immature of you to make personal attacks on these public forum without knowing all the facts. Shame, shame.

Btw, she is not the only who thinks everything will be OK with coffee money.

Well, it's good for you that you did not have to wait. But it is very immature of you to make personal attacks on these public forum without knowing all the facts. Shame, shame.

Btw, she is not the only who thinks everything will be OK with coffee money.

Not sure if that's personal attack. Just trying to tell you that it's not always the case and it seems that you keep making that assumption everywhere.

Not sure if that's personal attack. Just trying to tell you that it's not always the case and it seems that you keep making that assumption everywhere.

I am not making assumption. I have lived and experienced it myself. You are very naive to think that coffee money does not go a long way in a country that is run by one of the most corrupted governments in the world. You've got a lot to learn, kiddo.

Good luck with you interview.

Edited by frontgear

I am not making assumption. I have lived and experienced it myself. You are very naive to think that coffee money does not go a long way in a country that is run by one of the most corrupted governments in the world. You've got a lot to learn, kiddo.

Good luck with you interview.

LOL I didn't say it won't go a long way. I was just saying it's not ALWAYS the case. It's not always that you have to use coffee money to get ahead of things. Don't be too negative, old fart.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

The bickering stops now, at the risk of Moderation penalties that no one will like.

TBoneTX

VJ Moderation

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.