curiosityy

HELP - Overstay for 2 years. What will happen when I leave USA?

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi all,

My great aunt came to the USA on August 2012 with a B-1 visa, 6-month I-94. She came here to get away from her abusive husband. She's so scared of her husband that she didn't want to come home after her I-94 expired and we didn't think of extending I-94. Now her husband just died, so she is willing to leave here to come back to her country.

I know she will be barred from entering USA, but it doesn't matter because she doesn't intend to come back anyway. But the question I want to ask is, we have already booked flight for her to come home next month, but will she be questioned and treated differently at the airport during custom?

She is old (72) and not as healthy, I'm afraid she will get so scared and have a heart attack if they keep her in a room (as in immigration detention). Will her unlawful presence affects my aunt, who let her stay here for the extended period? Do they ask about all of the people who get involved in this case?

Please let me know if you know anything so that we can get prepared and expect what to come.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

she can leave whenever she wants to, no one will question her, in interrogation style, everyone is free to leave, as long as they have an ID and a valid passport

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

They have no interest in keeping anyone from leaving.

November 14th, 2013: She's here!

December 12th, 2013: Picked up marriage license.

December 14th, 2013: Wedding

6gai.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

B1 aged 72?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

The US has no exit controls, so she will not be detained if she attempts to leave.

She will receive a ten year bar from the US after she departs, but if she has no intention of returning as you say then it won't be a problem.

Edited by Hypnos

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: Other Timeline

Thank you all so much for your replies. If that's true then it's great. My poor great aunt haha, I was so worried for her.

Oh and btw her Visa is personal tourism/pleasure, so whatever B visa it is (1/2) Sorry for the confusion.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thank you all so much for your replies. If that's true then it's great. My poor great aunt haha, I was so worried for her.

Oh and btw her Visa is personal tourism/pleasure, so whatever B visa it is (1/2) Sorry for the confusion.

Don't worry about it, it's true.....no matter the visa type.

Filed: Timeline

She would have to see a judge and go through INS processing if she entered illegally but since she overstayed on a legitimate entry in this case, she is free to go unhindered.

Wrong... anyone NOT being deported or VD with a valid PP

can leave the USA...no exit visa or judge imput is required,

neither are they questioned as long as they go thru TSA with

no contrabands........Sad at age 70 this lady had an abusive

partner

Edited by Jawaree

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I see no problem, just let her leave, and yes she will leave with a ban from the USA, for many years, she sounds like she does not want to return BUTplease, make sure she understands, what is going on!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Switzerland
Timeline

They will be happy to see her leave (no offense), US doesn't like people who overstay and they certainly don't want to spend money detaining people who are on the way out and doing their jobs for them.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

hi

she can leave whenever she wants to, no one will question her, in interrogation style, everyone is free to leave, as long as they have an ID and a valid passport

I was flying from LAX to Japan on to Manila and in LAX after we had went thru the line and the flight attendant took your ticket and give you your stub there were Immigration Control shaking down the Philippines citizens asking them if they had worked in USA, etc

So I have personally seen them questioning, now this was the only time I have ever seen it on many trips out of USA

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I have heard of similar situations for this returned ing south of the border. Seems pretty rare but does happen.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.